VIKING FUTURE CRUISE VOUCHERS

seven1113

2 hours ago, seven1113 said:

Hello,

I am interested in talking with others who hold viking cruise ship future cruise vouchers.

What would you like to know?

How people used them?  or plan to use them?

How long they last?

Options available?

Ask a couple questions.

Each of the cruise lines has issued a considerable amount of future cruise vouchers.  These unsecured I-O-U notes are valuable for their future use.

But, if a line goes under, knowing who holds the vouchers, and for how much, could be exceptionally useful in organizing a class action.

Just saying...

Thank you both to responding. I need to let my voucher go at a discount. do you anyone to do this. Viking has given me permission to transfer it to anyone I want to. I have been fighting them since march. A class action suit would be a great idea NOW. they are building a new ship or more, taking more deposits on trips that may never go, making money all over, and we are giving them loans, interest free. E m a i l me if you wish, ....s e v e n 1 1 1 3 at g m a i l    dot .....    a great deal awaits !!

This is  what I wrote to the better business bureau in california today. they have over 54 complaints about Viking. The rating of Viking is 1.45  !

If there was a zero, I would use that.
My anxiety and stress started with Viking last March. As the pandemic hit, Viking and all cruise lines were cancelling trips. Foolishly on my part, I took action and cancelled just a few days before they cancelled my trip. Thus, I received a 50% refund and a useless, voucher for $13,408.00. I consider that a lot of money.
Briefly as I can, here is what happened. I have sailed with Viking many times before, the last trip was with my beloved husband, a thirty day trip. After this, his cancer returned, and he passed away months after the trip. We had planned another Viking trip already, but he died before the trip. SO, I changed what we had planned to another trip to visit Russia and Ukraine.
 My family encouraged me to continue to travel, as I have always traveled. This is the trip they are holding my money for now. I have tried since April4 to retrieve my funds. Chats with Viking. Phone calls with Viking. Sending 42 pages of documentation to VISA. Contacting the Attorney General of California pleading for help. Posting on Cruise Critic. Thinking about starting or joining a class action suit against Viking.
Meanwhile Viking continues to build a ship, advertise on TV and take thousand of dollars from customer as they entice them to travel in the future. I receive slick, expensive brochures from them, people have their jobs in the executive offices, and they continue to collect our money.
Another company who had a deposit of mine returned the funds with one call, although it is not their policy, they are Ponant Cruises. Qantas airlines is sending a 100% refund, a they cancelled my air to Australia. Two gracious companies. NOT VIKING.
During these unprecedented times, they are, so far being very stubborn, and unprofessional. They will loose customers. I am in no position to give a free loan to any company, with no interest. Help,,, anyone,, they are being horrible. If they go bankrupt, then what?

Edited by seven1113

Seven1113 - while your situation is most unfortunate, especially as you correctly termed your own actions of cancelling the cruise as "Foolish". This probably wasn't a great admission, especially if you are considering a lawsuit, as it might be used against you.

Since you cancelled the cruise, Viking will implement the terms and conditions of their refund policy, a policy you accepted by paying the deposit. For other than World Cruises or Grand Voyages, you accepted that Viking will charge you a cancellation fee of 50% of the full fare per passenger, when you cancel between 50 and 69 days before departure.

You mentioned that Viking provided a 50% cash refund and FCV, which based on the information you provided, is most likely over and above their legal obligation. Based on the terms and conditions you accepted, at time of booking, you were most likely only due a 50% refund, without the additional FCV.

I can only assume, with such a significant investment in a cruise, that surely you purchased Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance. Had you purchased the Viking insurance, you would be entitled to a full cash refund, if cancelled for a stated reason, or, if cancelling under the CFAR waiver, Viking would have issued FCV's for the entire amount. Third Party insurance brokers would have similar terms and coverage.

You also noted that Qantas cancelled your flight, so provided a full refund. Had you waited until Viking cancelled the cruise, you would have received a 100% cash refund, or 125% FCV. I am not aware of Qantas T&C, as it has been 5 yrs since we have flown with them, but I have no doubt that they are obligated to provide a refund if they cannot provide the service. Comparing a full refund of a flight cancelled by the airline to the partial refund of a cruise YOU cancelled is not a fair comparison, other than both company's met their legal obligation.

While your situation is most unfortunate, we all make decisions based on our personal circumstances, hopefully after considering all the consequences. Surely, prior to cancelling the cruise you were aware of  the costs and that on day 49 before departure your refund dropped to 25%. Perhaps that was a factor in cancelling when you did.

If you hadn't purchased Insurance, at least comparable to Viking's, then again I am having difficulty in understanding, why Viking is the alleged villain. You had multiple opportunities to protect your considerable investment, but may not have used any of them.

We also recently cancelled a 30-day cruise in 2021, but prior to cancelling, we reviewed the T&C to determine the financial obligation of cancelling before final payment - deposit and some extensive onboard booking discounts. We could have made PIF and waited for Viking to cancel for a 125% FCV, but accepted the costs of our decision. Had Viking cancelled the cruise the next day, too bad, our timing just wasn't good. We certainly wouldn't consider Viking the villain for adhering to their terms & conditions.

• Like 5

Seven1113 - I had a similar situation and, like Heidi13, do not consider Viking a villain. We also cancelled in early March and could’ve had a bigger FCV if we waited. You consider a FCV of over $13K useless - most folks here would disagree as we don’t feel Viking will go bankrupt for a number of reasons. You were happy with Viking in the past, but because of an unfortunate decision you made, you’re ready to start a class action. I wouldn’t think you’d find many joiners here. 

• Like 4

So sorry seven1113 for your loss. 

My wife passed away in July and we had 3 trips planned. I called Viking and I felt they were very good at explaining to me options. We did have the trip insurance but I decided it would be better to take my adult kids on the cruises. Of course one was canceled and the other 2 are on shaky ground for sure. 

Viking refunded the money on the canceled trip as they had told me they would do.   I will wait on the other trips to let them cancel. My kids are excited to go cruising but understand it may not happen. 

So sorry you are having issues.  For sure it is a tough time for you right now.

Porcupine

• Like 1

Thank you so much. She woke me up at 10 pm confused and with a headache. Not unusual because she has migraines in the passed. But I called 911. It took 10 minutes for paramedics to get to our house. They lost her on the way to hospital. Massive brain aneurism   She didn’t suffer 

19 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Thank you so much. She woke me up at 10 pm confused and with a headache. Not unusual because she has migraines in the passed. But I called 911. It took 10 minutes for paramedics to get to our house. They lost her on the way to hospital. Massive brain aneurism   She didn’t suffer 

I am so sorry for you for your loss. My husband had been ill for about three years with cancer.  It really makes no difference if the passing is sudden or not, at least to me. Your loss is so sad and I extend my sincerest condolences. You just do not know what is around the corner. Maybe this will all clear up soon, and although different, you will travel again. No one can tell you how or when to grieve, it is certainly a personal experience.  Be well and stay safe.

Carolyn

• 10 months later...