New vaccine

hollyjess

25 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had my vaccine letter invitation 10 days ago and booked my appointment online for next Wednesday.

My 25 year old son had a text invitation last Thursday, he has no health issues, seemed strange but he followed the link put in his NHS number and DOB. His appointment was this morning, he checked in stating his age and when called forward and sitting waiting for the jab the nurse asked him some questions regarding his age, health issues etc and refused to give him the jab, stating it must have been an admin error with the text going to him. She said she could get the sack if she did give him the vaccine. So in the end just a wasted appointment slot.

I'm wondering if the admin error was because my age group is currently being covered and we are with the same GP practice. I haven't received a text invitation yet although my wife did as a back up, even though like me she had booked online after a letter.

Thats disappointing.I can understand the nurses dilemma but it means one dose going spare...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had my vaccine letter invitation 10 days ago and booked my appointment online for next Wednesday.

My 25 year old son had a text invitation last Thursday, he has no health issues, seemed strange but he followed the link put in his NHS number and DOB. His appointment was this morning, he checked in stating his age and when called forward and sitting waiting for the jab the nurse asked him some questions regarding his age, health issues etc and refused to give him the jab, stating it must have been an admin error with the text going to him. She said she could get the sack if she did give him the vaccine. So in the end just a wasted appointment slot.

I'm wondering if the admin error was because my age group is currently being covered and we are with the same GP practice. I haven't received a text invitation yet although my wife did as a back up, even though like me she had booked online after a letter.

This may not be a popular opinion,  but I think the nurse was wrong. The chap had an appointment,  therefore it was not her decision to deny him the vaccination. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WECRUISEUK said:

We've been on a few longhaul flights over the years and everytime were advised to get up and move about as much as possible to eliminate the possibility of blood clots developing.Heard someone the other day say this is something we should all try and do a bit more,especially as a lot of us have been a lot less mobile than normal.If you've become a lot less active than normal then try and put the % back in your favour,i feel that could be the reason for the fatalities of blood clots.Instead of six hours infront of the box,get up every hour for ten minutes and annoy the misses by walking around the lounge.......via the t.v.,she is not amused.

That was my thought too after reading the article when it mentioned DVT.  We used to walk around the plane a few times during a flight too. I find myself doing daft things now, like walking up and downstairs every couple of hours, and not taking the direct route out of the kitchen. I'll walk round the kitchen table two or three times first. It gives Frank a laugh if nothing else😄

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

This may not be a popular opinion,  but I think the nurse was wrong. The chap had an appointment,  therefore it was not her decision to deny him the vaccination. 

I was surprised that the verification of his status was literally when he was sitting in the chair ready to roll his sleeve up. If anything these questions should have been asked when he was checking in. In the end an appointment was wasted, if someone has reached that stage it should just go ahead IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

There lies the problem, we are not nurses and do not know the rules that must be met,

maybe one of our nurses on here may shed some light on the subject.

I know it seems daft having the lad sat there only to cancel and have to come back another

day, seems silly and wasteful to all of us . I would not have been happy if it were me.  

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Interesting. Our 27 year old daughter had a text the same day that we did. We weren’t sure why she had been called up, but we speculated that it was one of three reasons. 1) an error 2) because she still shows as living with us and we wondered if it was to protect my wife (who has MS) or 3) because she had part of a kidney removed as a child, although has no residual issues. Anyway, she phoned me and said that she felt that she shouldn’t have the jab as it didn’t seem right, but I said that she wouldn’t be depriving anyone else (as all those who were eligible were being called up anyway and they wouldn’t call up someone else who wasn’t yet eligible if she declined). Also, she is working in a public facing job and having to be tested weekly. Anyway, she went for the jab and they asked her all the usual questions, which she answered honestly, and they jabbed her without question. 

• Like 4

My healthy 25 year old daughter has had 2 texts inviting her for a vaccine and queried it with her surgery. They looked into it and discovered it was due to her being admitted to hospital early last year with a suspected clot while pregnant. It turned out to not be a clot but it was still on her medical records which is why she was sent a vaccine text. They have now updated her records & shouldn’t get contacted again until her age group is being done.

55 minutes ago, kalos said:

There lies the problem, we are not nurses and do not know the rules that must be met,

maybe one of our nurses on here may shed some light on the subject.

I know it seems daft having the lad sat there only to cancel and have to come back another

day, seems silly and wasteful to all of us . I would not have been happy if it were me.  

As stated before , us nurses do not make the appts or decision who sits in front of us, we just jab! However, I don't know the whole story [always 2 sides] but we do jab younger people, eg carers/forward facing  staff, so it doesn't always depend on their  age or medical history but often what jobs they do. I would find it difficult to refuse someone on age alone. One would hope that a admin error was noted, by those checking you in, before the patient was sitting in front of you! I'm at a loss to know how the nurse deemed it an error but of course different places work in slightly different ways, so where as it would have been discovered where I work, another may[and have] missed it.

Errors of course will always occur in anything on this scale, it's just REALLY annoying for everyone involved.

We had a about 10 X  2nd doses turn up on the wrong day but we did them, seemed silly to send them away.

• Thanks 1

I  received yet another text asking me to call the surgery to book my vaccine.  I had to go out this morning which involved going passed the surgery so I copied the letter from the vaccine trial confirming that I had had the actual vaccine rather than the placebo and when I went out I delivered it to the surgery.  When I told the receptionist that I have already told them several times that I have had both doses of the Novavax vaccine and gave her the letter, she checked on the system and told me that she can see the details of my vaccination and the copy of the letter that has been scanned in.  I have been home for just over an hour and have had another invitation text.  I have given up and decided that I will just ignore the texts now.

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

She said she could get the sack if she did give him the vaccine. So in the end just a wasted appointment slot.

I'm wondering if the admin error was because my age group is currently being covered and we are with the same GP practice. I haven't received a text invitation yet although my wife did as a back up, even though like me she had booked online after a letter

Why would she get the sack? It is not like he has paid her to get the shot ahead of time or she has sold the shot?  All she is doing is an executing the appointment I don't think they could sack her for that?

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Why would she get the sack? It is not like he has paid her to get the shot ahead of time or she has sold the shot?  All she is doing is an executing the appointment I don't think they could sack her for that?

I know, does seem an OTT comment to make. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I  received yet another text asking me to call the surgery to book my vaccine.  I had to go out this morning which involved going passed the surgery so I copied the letter from the vaccine trial confirming that I had had the actual vaccine rather than the placebo and when I went out I delivered it to the surgery.  When I told the receptionist that I have already told them several times that I have had both doses of the Novavax vaccine and gave her the letter, she checked on the system and told me that she can see the details of my vaccination and the copy of the letter that has been scanned in.  I have been home for just over an hour and have had another invitation text.  I have given up and decided that I will just ignore the texts now.

Josy, if you ignore the texts, how will you be able to get the second jab?

Could you go for what the system thinks is your "first" jab, and let that become your second jab?

I  must admit, the right hand does not seem to know what the left is doing! 

Locally they have started to ask the 50-55s to book vaccinations, so messaged a family member in that age bracket & neighbour who is a teacher, both now booked for 1st Dose of vaccine. Council posted yesterday that almost 50% of population in borough have received 1st dose of the vaccine either AZ or Pfizer Bio N Tech, and that they are into their second week of giving 2nd doses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Josy, if you ignore the texts, how will you be able to get the second jab?

Could you go for what the system thinks is your "first" jab, and let that become your second jab?

I  must admit, the right hand does not seem to know what the left is doing! 

I had both jabs 20th October and 11th November on the Novavax trial.  The letter that the trial they sent to me and to the doctor states this clearly.

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I had both jabs 20th October and 11th November on the Novavax trial.  The letter that the trial they sent to me and to the doctor states this clearly.

Ah, sorry. Didn't realise you had two already.