New vaccine

hollyjess

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

When I took my MIL she just got a small credit size card with the batch no of the vaccine and space for the second vaccine.

Thanks. When the second space is completed  ,I hope that will be proof enough.

8 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hi Avril. If you are concerned about your husband getting his vaccine and want to go to Leeds I will be happy to pick him up and take him, the same applies to you.

I have been feeling quite down about the vaccination system with some areas getting vaccinated before others but this post has really cheered me up.Thank you 🙂 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I believed this to be the case and have seen photos of people having been given the record cards. I wonder if anyone who has been Jabbed can confirm.

One of Pauline's Friends had her vaccine last week.

She was given a card with her name and number on it.

If companies start to demand a vaccine certificate there are some potential ethical and legal issues.

Take SAGA as an example, most of their customers are over 50 (or 40 if travelling with an over 5o) they are fairly safe implementing this as their customers should be in the first 6 months of vaccinations if priorities go an as they are at present. But what if that changes? There is talk of the priorities being changed to bring some occupational groups further up the lists effectively pushing the under 65 age groups down it.

So a 75 year old and a 50 year old have a booking for May and the 50 year old is refused travel through no fault of their own because they have not had the vaccine yet (and the price of a later cruise is much more expensive) Age discrimination?

The unvaccinated 50 year old (who was travelling with their other 50 year old friends who got the vaccine because of their occupation) is cancelled and their friends are not. The travelling friends don’t want to go alone but are in a different cabin so can’t cancel. What happens?

It gets even more complicated for companies who cater for all age groups. No one knows when the average 20 or 30 something will be vaccinated so that cuts the market right down. 

There is nothing suitable for children as yet so are they all denied boarding? If they are not then why not because they can catch and spread the virus too. 

The U.K. has never penalised anyone for not being vaccinated so for example children in this country can go to school unvaccinated unlike in some other places. Whether that should be the case is a whole different matter but there are no forced vaccinations.

Personally I have no problem as me, my family and all my friends will be vaccinated as soon as possible but I can see this causing all sorts of issues if organisations all have different policies.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If companies start to demand a vaccine certificate there are some potential ethical and legal issues.

Take SAGA as an example, most of their customers are over 50 (or 40 if travelling with an over 5o) they are fairly safe implementing this as their customers should be in the first 6 months of vaccinations if priorities go an as they are at present. But what if that changes? There is talk of the priorities being changed to bring some occupational groups further up the lists effectively pushing the under 65 age groups down it.

So a 75 year old and a 50 year old have a booking for May and the 50 year old is refused travel through no fault of their own because they have not had the vaccine yet (and the price of a later cruise is much more expensive) Age discrimination?

The unvaccinated 50 year old (who was travelling with their other 50 year old friends who got the vaccine because of their occupation) is cancelled and their friends are not. The travelling friends don’t want to go alone but are in a different cabin so can’t cancel. What happens?

It gets even more complicated for companies who cater for all age groups. No one knows when the average 20 or 30 something will be vaccinated so that cuts the market right down. 

There is nothing suitable for children as yet so are they all denied boarding? If they are not then why not because they can catch and spread the virus too. 

The U.K. has never penalised anyone for not being vaccinated so for example children in this country can go to school unvaccinated unlike in some other places. Whether that should be the case is a whole different matter but there are no forced vaccinations.

Personally I have no problem as me, my family and all my friends will be vaccinated as soon as possible but I can see this causing all sorts of issues if organisations all have different policies.

We are disappointed because we had been considering a Saga cruise in June but my husband and I are unlikely to have had both jabs by then. I can understand saying they will deny boarding to anyone who refuses a vaccine but they aren't going to allow those individuals who can't have a vaccine for medical reasons which I think is unfair.I think it would have been better to have said you needed a vaccine certificate or note from the GP saying you are exempt(a bit like the yellow fever vaccine).You have to be over 50 to cruise with Saga so no children onboard but most of the crew won't have had the vaccine and they are in close contact with each other

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We are disappointed because we had been considering a Saga cruise in June but my husband and I are unlikely to have had both jabs by then. I can understand saying they will deny boarding to anyone who refuses a vaccine but they aren't going to allow those individuals who can't have a vaccine for medical reasons which I think is unfair.I think it would have been better to have said you needed a vaccine certificate or note from the GP saying you are exempt(a bit like the yellow fever vaccine).You have to be over 50 to cruise with Saga so no children onboard but most of the crew won't have had the vaccine and they are in close contact with each other

That’s a shame.

As they are sailing with reduced numbers at present they will have enough customers for the present but the early sailings will be minus the “younger” element. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Is this letter written by someone in America? Tylenol is used there, but I'm sure it's banned in the UK. 

Avril

Tylenol is a brand, the U.K. equivalent is Panadol, or you could just use generic paracetamol which is what Tylenol contains. 

• Like 1

Yet on Saga holidays (i.e, anything except an ocean cruise) although the same age group applies, you can simply self-declare that you have been vaccinated, and those who are exempt from being vaccinated can still travel.

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s a shame.

As they are sailing with reduced numbers at present they will have enough customers for the present but the early sailings will be minus the “younger” element. 

The "reduced numbers" are very close to the capacity they reach under normal sailing conditions.

Sailing at just over 80% of maximum capacity is not much of a reduction.

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Saga are opening a can of worms, it is understandable why they are doing it and it will encourage older people to cruise with them. I am sure they have considered the legal implications but are leaving themselves open to legal action. To demand passengers are vaccinated and not to demand the staff are when they are in close proximity seems a step too far, unless they can pay for their staff to be vaccinated in their home countries. I have not looked at Saga T&C's to see if they cover any of your examples. Watch this space.

14 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Yet on Saga holidays (i.e, anything except an ocean cruise) although the same age group applies, you can simply self-declare that you have been vaccinated, and those who are exempt from being vaccinated can still travel.

The "reduced numbers" are very close to the capacity they reach under normal sailing conditions.

Sailing at just over 80% of maximum capacity is not much of a reduction.

I was surprised when Saga quoted 80% as the percentage as I too think that is not much of a reduction, particularly as they said that would apply to May and June cruises implying it would return to normal numbers after then

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Saga are opening a can of worms, it is understandable why they are doing it and it will encourage older people to cruise with them. I am sure they have considered the legal implications but are leaving themselves open to legal action. To demand passengers are vaccinated and not to demand the staff are when they are in close proximity seems a step too far, unless they can pay for their staff to be vaccinated in their home countries. I have not looked at Saga T&C's to see if they cover any of your examples. Watch this space.

Saga are not the first ones to apply this restriction, I believe Qantas intend to apply this restriction, and I guess there will be many other airlines and package tour operators considering this, not to mention countless hotels, Bars and Restaurants worldwide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Saga are not the first ones to apply this restriction, I believe Qantas intend to apply this restriction, and I guess there will be many other airlines and package tour operators considering this, not to mention countless hotels, Bars and Restaurants worldwide.

Yes I knew about Quantas etc but this appears to be the first cruise company, unless anyone has heard of any others? It is useful to know about these things in advance.

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

One of Pauline's Friends had her vaccine last week.

She was given a card with her name and number on it.

All sounds a bit like the vaccination records we all have for international travel at the moment. Polio, Hep , tetanus etc.

Well my potential dilemma has been resolved. The local hubs in our area are now open to vaccinate the over-75 group which includes my wife and myself. However I am a volunteer in the over 70 group for the Oxford AZ vaccine. Was dosed back in August/September last year.

I contacted the trial organisers yesterday to check my status and had confirmation this morning that I received the placebo (a teenage meningitis vaccine). I can now go ahead and arrange our jabs. I was worried that if I had received the actual Oxford jab, there might be an issue with getting that fact registered on my records to provide the required "passport" information in the future.

BTW does anyone know if you can book consecutive time slots when you go online. I want to avoid booking my time slot then finding that when I revisit the site to book my wife's test, the only time slots are at significant differences from mine. A minor quibble I know in the great scheme of things but I would be interested to know if any others have knowledge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I notice Tony Blair is supporting me in calling for 600,000 vaccinations a day😉

But with shortage of vaccine being the major problem, rather than vaccination capacity, Blair is likely to be suggesting we dilute what is available to achieve those levels.:classic_ohmy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Well my potential dilemma has been resolved. The local hubs in our area are now open to vaccinate the over-75 group which includes my wife and myself. However I am a volunteer in the over 70 group for the Oxford AZ vaccine. Was dosed back in August/September last year.

I contacted the trial organisers yesterday to check my status and had confirmation this morning that I received the placebo (a teenage meningitis vaccine). I can now go ahead and arrange our jabs. I was worried that if I had received the actual Oxford jab, there might be an issue with getting that fact registered on my records to provide the required "passport" information in the future.

BTW does anyone know if you can book consecutive time slots when you go online. I want to avoid booking my time slot then finding that when I revisit the site to book my wife's test, the only time slots are at significant differences from mine. A minor quibble I know in the great scheme of things but I would be interested to know if any others have knowledge.

You can only book one person at a time, we were fortunate that I managed to get consecutive appointments for both jabs using the online system.  I had tried the 119 number but after 5 minutes of listening to options it said goodbye and went dead. Anyway good luck.

10 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Can you use two devices and book simultaneously to select a similar time?

• Like 5