New vaccine

hollyjess

Hello Everyone

Just wanted to say a special thank you for all your lovely messages of support for the NHS.  I've shown them to all the docs and staff here at the surgery and they are so pleased to be included.

Well, after my Paltrow-esque exuberance from earlier today, I would like to report the latest from NHS England but unfortunately I can't because we've heard - nothing!

It's not unusual to hear news on the media first and to get the actual facts some days later but I thought today of all days we may have heard something - anything.

It's still a good day but as Kalos said, sad for the families who have lost the loved ones for whom the vaccine came too late.

Thanks again to all my new friends on the forum and if I don't post again before tomorrow night I wish you all, and your families, a very happy and please God healthy New Year.

Best wishes.

Jane 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Watching the scientific briefing live at present. Efficacy of Oxford vaccine “ up to 70%”. Better than zero but that means 3 out of every 10 vaccinated won’t be protected. What am I missing?

You're mising the fact 7 out of 10 will be protected. Which considering where we are at the moment, sound like good odds to me.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
spelling
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

You're mising the fact 7 out of 10 will be protected. Which considering where we are at then moment, sound like good odds to me.

Avril

Indeed - Selbourne seemed to imply that the other 30% were "doomed", which

is obviously not the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well, after my Paltrow-esque exuberance from earlier today, I would like to report the latest from NHS England but unfortunately I can't because we've heard - nothing!

It's not unusual to hear news on the media first and to get the actual facts some days later but I thought today of all days we may have heard something - anything.

They are probably waiting for Matt Hancock at 3 o'clock, and given the way that the press twist the facts it's a good thing. On something so important we need to hear it first from the horses mouth,so to speak, before the media put their own political spin on things.

Avril

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When the Doc phones and says  pop up for your jab I will need to know.

a)    is the needle sharp 

b).   If a is yes......no b.

Blunt needle, sharp needle, hammer & nail, sterilised of course😁 I don't care, I just need my life back.

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They are probably waiting for Matt Hancock at 3 o'clock, and given the way that the press twist the facts it's a good thing. On something so important we need to hear it first from the horses mouth,so to speak, before the media put their own political spin on things.

Avril

I tend to like to hear it direct from the FM, PM etc as well, no spin added as you say.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Watching the scientific briefing live at present. Efficacy of Oxford vaccine “ up to 70%”. Better than zero but that means 3 out of every 10 vaccinated won’t be protected. What am I missing?

What the 70% means is this,when ten adults are vaccinated they will ALL start to be protected.Nobody is getting a higher level of protection than the next person and the protection will start to work after day 21/22.The protection level is a bit like the flu jab we get every year,but that's about 50/60%,i didn't know that untill earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Just wanted to say a special thank you for all your lovely messages of support for the NHS.  I've shown them to all the docs and staff here at the surgery and they are so pleased to be included.

It's still a good day but as Kalos said, sad for the families who have lost the loved ones for whom the vaccine came too late.

Thanks again to all my new friends on the forum and if I don't post again before tomorrow night I wish you all, and your families, a very happy and please God healthy New Year.

Best wishes.

Jane 

Trying to put a bit of positive spin on not getting any news, is it because they have deliberately kept it from the press so that our mate Matt/Boris etc can use it as the carrot for putting harsher lockdown measures in place when he makes his announcement. As with most things covid we will have to wait and see and hope for any glimmer of good news.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

What the 70% means is this,when ten adults are vaccinated they will ALL start to be protected.Nobody is getting a higher level of protection than the next person and the protection will start to work after day 21/22.The protection level is a bit like the flu jab we get every year,but that's about 50/60%,i didn't know that untill earlier this year.

Your own body will determine what level of protection you get. Some people will get very little protection as their system won't make antibodies, some will make them at varying rates. Until mass vaccination is well underway we won't know.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Boris doing a news conference at 5pm today.

That's my afternoon sorted. Matt at 3 o'clock, Boris at 5 o'clock, with time for fortifying glass inbetween, and hopefully a celebratory few afterwards🤞😊

Avril

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's my afternoon sorted. Matt at 3 o'clock, Boris at 5 o'clock, with time for fortifying glass inbetween, and hopefully a celebratory few afterwards🤞😊

Avril

I wonder if William Hills are taking bets on what tier we will be in next.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

If someone had told us this time last year that this was to be our social life in 2020, we'd have rung the men in white coats.😷

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I am pretty sure that York and North Yorkshire currently in tier 2 will be in a higher tier.

Rates have more than doubled in the past week, almost certainly due to the influence of visitors over the run up to Christmas.

You are probably right, rates were guaranteed to go up. We have missed our visit to the York markets this year, such a magical place.

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh no!! please don't say that. Now where did I put that spare bottle of JD I was saving for an emergency🤔

Avril

Think Avril ?  Where did you see it last ??

What do you mean at your last emergency ! :classic_wacko: :classic_unsure:

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You are probably right, rates were guaranteed to go up. We have missed our visit to the York markets this year, such a magical place.

We are usually there every week but have stayed out of the City Centre recently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh no!! please don't say that. Now where did I put that spare bottle of JD I was saving for an emergency🤔

Avril

There’s an upside to everything.
Best advice I can give is to down the bottle now and then you won’t care what Matt or Boris has to say....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Your own body will determine what level of protection you get. Some people will get very little protection as their system won't make antibodies, some will make them at varying rates. Until mass vaccination is well underway we won't know.

Hello Phil,what do you mean when you say "we won't know"?It's been anounced on t.v. earlier this morning that after all the trials and tests that have been done,you will all recieve 70% protection after day 22 of recieving the first vaccine.Take a look at my prior response to "seabourne" for a little more understanding of what was being discussed,hope this helps.