Insignia Penthouse Noise question

gddeluca

We're thinking of an Insignia cruise and looking at the Penthouse category.  I notice they are all on deck 8, underneath the pool deck.  We have had bad experiences with cabins under the pool deck on other ships in the past so looking for some feedback.   What we've experienced is stuff like pool attendants dragging around deck chairs for the day at 5:00 AM.  Same at the end of day as they drag everything around putting things away for the night.

Anyone's experiences would be helpful.

Cannot say for sure whether there is pool deck noise on the R ships (of which Insignia is one) but we have experienced it on other ships.  That's why, when sailing on an R ship, we always choose a PH in the front of the ship.  It will be under the computer room and/or games room on Deck 9.  Always quiet there.  Also, there's very little hallway traffic because the corridor leads only to some officers/ranking staff quarters even farther forward.  

But this advice applies only to the port (left) side of the ship.  Those forward PHs on the starboard side are directly beneath the gym.  One might expect noise from overhead due to weights being dropped or from various zumba classes (boomp-boomp-boomp).  

You can't go wrong with 8000, 8002, 8004 unless you're especially sensitive to the motion of the ocean.  In which case, forget everything I've said.

Edited by DrHemlock

13 minutes ago, gddeluca said:

We're thinking of an Insignia cruise and looking at the Penthouse category.  I notice they are all on deck 8, underneath the pool deck.  We have had bad experiences with cabins under the pool deck on other ships in the past so looking for some feedback.   What we've experienced is stuff like pool attendants dragging around deck chairs for the day at 5:00 AM.  Same at the end of day as they drag everything around putting things away for the night.

Anyone's experiences would be helpful.

We prefer midship PH2s for that reason.

47 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe directly under Waves are the worst cabins. 

We had friends staying in that area on Regatta on a Tahiti to SF trip and they never could get the room to cool down. They were given an extra room in another location to sleep in and got a sizable OBC (refundable) as maintenance could not do anything about it. It was in the area about where Waves meets the Terrace.  

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe directly under Waves are the worst cabins. 

Yes plus they drag the carts to fill the Terrace buffet items at 5am and also back after 10pm.  Can be noisy especially under staterooms 8053 to 8061.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

I have been in the PH cabins under the Terrace Cafe, under Waves and under the pool area on Nautica, Regatta and Sirena.  Noise usually is not a problem.  If I heard a chair scraping above in the morning I would ask the person at the Reception Desk if they could remind the attendants not to drag the chairs.  No problem after that.

14 hours ago, Twiga said:

I have been in the PH cabins under the Terrace Cafe, under Waves and under the pool area on Nautica, Regatta and Sirena.  Noise usually is not a problem.  If I heard a chair scraping above in the morning I would ask the person at the Reception Desk if they could remind the attendants not to drag the chairs.  No problem after that.

For those cabins below Waves, it’s rarely the staff that is the problem on early mornings. 

We sailed on Insignia just before the Covid shutdown.  We were in 8065 and our friends were in 8045.  Neither one had a problem with noise overhead.   I notice that in walking from one end of the ship to the other that  the hum of the engines increased noticeably as we neared our  cabin in the aft of the ship.  Not unpleasant, still a great cabin but might make a forward cabin more desirable.  

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, arl_nocaps said:

HAVING PROBLEM DECIDING ON BEST PH CABIN FOR US.  8008 OR 8048 ???

ONE MAYBE TOO FAR FORWARD FOR LATE  SEPT NY-MONTREAL, THE OTHER COULD

HAVE NOISE FROM ABOVE.  APPRECIATE ANY INPUT.

ARL---ALL CAPS

8008  is just on the verge of being  too forward

I think either would work 

I do not book anything past the forward elevators

YMMV

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The noise is always worse in the port side ( odd numbered cabins). Never book under Waves!

Didn't you mean the Starboard side, port is opposite Waves. 

Under the card room or the computer room 8000 or 8002 was fine for us.  It potentially good if you are not brill if the sea is rough but very quiet and very near lofts. We had no noise on Sirena. Would definitely sail in 8000 again with no qualms. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, Roccaforte said:

We sailed on Insignia just before the Covid shutdown.  We were in 8065 and our friends were in 8045.  Neither one had a problem with noise overhead.   I notice that in walking from one end of the ship to the other that  the hum of the engines increased noticeably as we neared our  cabin in the aft of the ship.  Not unpleasant, still a great cabin but might make a forward cabin more desirable.  

We will be in 8065 in July.  Happy to hear that you did not have a noise issue.  Our TA did note that 8065 has a partially obstructed balcony because of the window washing equipment.  Did you find that to be an issue?

Thank you!

On 11/26/2020 at 9:50 AM, gddeluca said:

Thanks to you all.  We'd already spotted the 8000,8002 etc rooms as good possibilities.

George

By  George...you have got it.       Speaking for the Starboard forward cabins,,  by the elevator   no noise, no problems.   Ihe forward location = instant access to all the activity centers.( bars entertainment spa).. + your in a wind shelter of the bridge structure ( not present mid ship where the burble re emerges) + closest access to tender. access and return.

I book 8002 and have in the future   or its brother on Starboard depending on wherer the ship is headed  (POSH)     

You might find it interesting  that on navy ships  officers  ward room and Sr enlisted quarters<" goat locker" are all well froward, while  crew is mid ship or aft. !   aft has the most vibration due to cavitation of the screws,    Same on O ships...    ( is there a message?)      " those in the know, know where to go"

A student of physics would say that mathematically the mid ship is the least motion to experience.   However, most are un able to discern its subtle advantage.         This is really more a psychological  magic feather to hold on to unless you  brought your inclinometer along .   If you think  something is better or worse  it will be. in your perception.   

The negative of mid ship is its a long walk to anywhere in a narrow passageway   Has more wind and  slower to get to and from.     And if you think by being mid ship your going t escape motion you will only decease pitch   but not yaw..     Plus to get to anywhere you will have to travel  and spend a lot of times in your"  perceived motion zones.

Location location location..... and on a cruise you need to ask what is your  intended activity... If you live in the cabin OR  are you flittering around to meals,  fun ,social contacts and shore trips.... Let that be your guide.

42 minutes ago, arl_nocaps said:

THANKS EVERYONE ---NOT HAPPY WITH PH CHOICES  SO GOING BACK TO MY A1 OR A2 --HAVE BEEN HAPPY BEFORE AND WILL AGAIN.  😀  7036 OR 7088  ?

ARL

it is away from the noise of the lifeboats when they are lowering them  but either one would be fine  I am sure