November 2021 on Sky Princess now Caribbeean Princess

Atlantic Canada

Just heard from our Travel Agent that our Sky Princess out of New York on November 6th 2021 is now aboard the Caribbean Princess.😪👎 We have been aboard that ship a number of times but not for a long time.  The last time we found it getting very old and worn to say the least.  Now we have to decide if we rally want to bother with this cruise, if it does sail in November.  Does anyone know if it has had a significant upgrade that would have resulted in the ship being adequately improved.  I saw a note that it had word done in the Spring of 2019 but no details.  Can anyone help???

Sooooo disappointed!!  Have not heard yet from our TA yet but know we will not sailing on the Caribbean Princess.  Sailed last on her in 2018 and was very disappointed and not impressed with the "upgrades".  We have sailed on the Sky and loved that ship so for us there is no comparison.  I know there will be people who will disagree and I understand but for us once on the Sky can"t go back to the Caribbean.

Also on this cruise.  We knew something was up, and we are actually glad the only thing that happened was a change of Ship.  We were afraid the cruise itself might be cancelled as so many others have been in the last couple weeks, as Princess shuffles the deck to try to conform to all the restrictions being placed upon it.  Of course we were looking forward to experiencing the Sky Princess for the first time, but will still gladly sail this itinerary on Caribbean.

We did a 14 day on Caribbean Princess last November and thoroughly enjoyed our time on board.  We had sailed her twice previously and she has under gone a recent upgrade.  She was in good shape.  Things we noticed:

1)  She is medallion class equipped and working well in that regard.

2) New hallway carpets and stateroom beds.  Only downer is that you can no longer tell port or starboard by the color of the carpet.

3) New flat screen TVs and on-demand movies in your room (just like the Royal Class).  A big plus for us.

4) Not certain on this, but it felt like the MUTS Screen and sound had been improved over our last experience.

5) Buffet totally revamped and a big thumbs up - of course with COVID - not sure what this will look like moving forward.  Loved the Noodle Bowl station at the back of the buffet.  It alternated with a wok style grill every other day that was also great.

6) New modestly priced specialty restaurants - Planks and Steamers (one BBQ and one seafood).  I know some want something fancier, but we ate in both a couple times and loved them.  You may feel differently on this.

We just found the ship to be good on all aspects.  Certainly hope this cruise sails as it will be one of the first 14 day cruises from North America if it goes.

Don

I received the same notification for our 11/6/2021 cruise on the Sky.  I have heard mostly not so good comments about the Caribbean Princess.  We were looking forward to sailing on the Sky.  We were supposed to have sailed on her in March but that cruise was canceled due to COVID.  Thought we'd book her for the 14 day NYC to FLL but alas...not meant to be.  I think it's back to the drawing board for us.  Luckily, we paid no cash upfront as we used FCD and use goodwill credits.  

We’re also on this sailing, but haven’t been notified yet of the change. This is our 2nd Sky sailing cancelled or ship changed, having had her repo of 11/5/20 cancelled. Guess it’s just not in the cards for us to sail her.

As to Caribbean Princess, we sailed her for 14 nights in January 2019. She has all the standard features of pre Royal Princess ships. Our least favorite feature was the buffet, with some choices displayed in individual cardboard trays resulting in lots of stale offerings. I’m sure all buffets will be different post Covid. Other than that we thought she was in great shape & enjoyed out time on her. 

I am curious though as to what type room we’ll be assigned because we had a deluxe balcony on Sky, which is a category CP doesn’t offer,  because we hate the rooms without even a chair to sit on.

We were on the Caribbean Princess for 10 days in August 2019, Quebec City to NYC. This cruise was after the the generator issue was repaired. We were also on boar for 24 days in January/February 2018 in the Caribbean. Both times we felt that it was one of the best run cruises. Staff was great, activities and dining well organized. We did anytime.  The ship was in good condition from recent upgrades. A wonderful youth pool and family lounge area was added to deck 17. Without many youth on board the are is really nice for lounging. The buffet area was re-designed for the better, at least in our opinion. But you can only do soo much with a buffet. The original Cafe Caribe area was converted to Planks & Steamers, $12 specialty dining in the evening.  The seating and a buffet section is open for breakfast and lunch, no charge. This was where made to order omelets were prepared. Two small wake view lounges with comfy seating were added to the aft of the Planks & Steamers areas. The only negative we found was the theater. Not enough seating for the number of passengers. You have to arrive 30 to 45 minutes early, especially for the show Bravo. We would not hesitate to book this ship again. 

We were also on this ship August 2019 for the Canada Iceland (RT NY). Loved the ship's remodel. Had been previously on the Caribbean three times. Felt like a brand new ship. Loved the fact that we had the larger balconies (not like the Royal class ship). The shows were all new to us as well and really enjoyable. Three months later we boarded the Sky Princess so was really able to see the differences. Although the Sky was new and more glitzy, our time on the Caribbean Princess was still really good. You will like the Caribbean Princess. We preferred  the shows on Caribbean Princess.

we were on the CB the first cruise after the 'dry' wet dock ... no problems ( except for being over-served in Crooners one night ) - took an upsell to our one and only, so far, PH suite

some of the staff from Crooners and Vines were moving over to the SKY Princess and we saw them again when we went on the 'inaugural' V2.0 last December - little 3 day - our last cruise - after our Thanksgiving cruise on the SKY was cancelled

currently have a mid-April 2021 cruise booked again on the CB - nice B2 balcony on caribe - hope it still goes

1 hour ago, skynight said:

.....The only negative we found was the theater. Not enough seating for the number of passengers. You have to arrive 30 to 45 minutes early, especially for the show Bravo. We would not hesitate to book this ship again. 

That is probably our biggest complaint about every Princess ship we’ve been on, not only Caribbean Princess. In fact, if anything, Royal class theaters are worse.

We were also excited to be sailing on the sky for 14 days, but not so sure about this.  I am happy to hear some people really loved their experience.  Like another cruiser posted, we had one of the deluxe balconies on the sky which is a category the Caribbean Princess does not offer.   

I realize Sky is a newer ship, but I've done the Caribbean and British Isles on the Caribbean Princess.  I enjoyed the ship.  In fact, I booked her again for this May.  I'm unsure it will happen and next May.  I believe that one will sail.

We received notice as well-had a SKY Window Suite!!!  Now looking at Fiesta Deck if we will be assigned on a Window Suite-if not we will cancel our Cruise-We have been on Caribbean eight times-love her BUT had hoped we would be on a newer ship this time around-I see lots of changes next year with ships and Islands

We were scheduled for last April's Sky Princess Trans-Atlantic which we were thoroughly looking forward to as we'd never done a TA cruise... but then, Covid cancelled everything.  (Our first Princess cruise was aboard the gorgeous Royal Princess back in May 2019... we fell in love with the Royal class, and booked Sky while aboard).

Last Summer, when I thought it would probably be far enough in the future to book safely, we booked the Enchanted Princess (even newer than Sky!)  for this March.  Once again, the new normal caused that cruise to disappear.

We had our eye on the Sky's New England-Canada sailings for the Fall of 2021... and even last month we were discussing possibly trying to book one of those, but now I've read this.  Boo... and sorry to those of you who are sad about this... I know the feeling!

We did book Majestic for next Summer.  Not gonna hold my breath... it's just the new normal, right?  Book a cruise and it's a "maybe we're going".  My only annoyance here is that my Sky deposit bounced into a "future cruise deposit" (whatever happened to "refundable") and so we applied it to Enchanted.  When I booked Majestic, I wanted to transfer that future cruise deposit from Enchanted... but I couldn't as it's still in the "your cruise is cancelled"  processing limbo.  So I had to shell out a new deposit.

Once all this shakes out, I'm going to call Princess and insist they refund one of those deposits.

One other note: the Caribbean Princess sailings to NE-Canada might be at the mercy of Canada reopening their borders.  This could effect my cruise on Majestic as well.  If Canada's ports are closed, those cruises can't proceed without a foreign port, right?  I just read that Canada might not open up again to the US till Summer of 2021 or even as late as Jan 2022!  

Ugh... we might be headed towards cancellation #3.  I think that would be it for us.

My travel agent contacted me two days ago about the change; and Princess sent me an email yesterday.  We are on Oct 16th sailing to NE/Canada.  We sailed Sky after the upgrades and loved it.  The medallion net was blazing fast;  the staff were excellent.  We will have no issues with new ship; plus they are giving out OBC for the inconvenience.