Calendar

galeforce9

Interesting. I await mine with interest.

It has been obvious to me for some time that P&Os business model, pre covid at least, was "bigger and better" rather than "small is beautiful". I expected them to get rid of the remaining "small" ships Aurora and Arcadia - which would have been large ships 20 years ago - within the next few years to concentrate on the bigger ones. But then covid threw a spanner in the works. Even before its arrival some ports - Venice, Dubrovnik and Key West come immediately to mind - were begining to tire of big ships and the problems they bring and were placing/considering limits on tonnage or passenger numbers. I can see this spreading, with ports becoming reluctant to host ships which disgourge several thousand passengers at a time. In such a situation cruise lines which operate smaller ships would find themselves at a commercial advantage, and Arcadia and Aurora may well be reprieved. Or is that just wishful thinking?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

It was lovely to receive the calendar.  Did anyone else notice the only ships included were large ones (and not many ship pics at all).  Am I being overly suspicious?  Is it “just in case”? 

I want to add that I am a huge fan of smaller ships, hence my concern 🤔

43 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have never had a calendar and was wondering the same thing.

I had been Caribbean for a couple of years and not had one, so last year I rang to ask why, and was sent one in January. So far I have not received one this year but will give them a little more time before I ask where it is.

We received one today.I think the photos are very uninspiring and it seems to have been put together without too much thought about what to include. I doubt it was intentional to not include smaller ships in the photos but I may be wrong

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

...and Arcadia and Aurora may well be reprieved. Or is that just wishful thinking?

I fear it may be wishful thinking but very much hope I am wrong! (Just my thoughts - no 'insider knowledge).

After what has happened in 2020 and the mountain of work P&O have had cancelling cruises and issuing refunds. With majority of staff working from home and the large number that were made redundant I am very surprised that they have sent out calendars and would have understood with P&O being under financial strain if they had missed this year so we should be thankful and not to be critical which after all is a gift.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:
5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

After what has happened in 2020 and the mountain of work P&O have had cancelling cruises and issuing refunds. With majority of staff working from home and the large number that were made redundant I am very surprised that they have sent out calendars and would have understood with P&O being under financial strain if they had missed this year so we should be thankful and not to be critical which after all is a gift.

As a photographer myself, I can assure you that photos can be picked up cheaply, whether inspiring or not, so if a calendar is produced then surely it is more likely to be displayed and commercially doing its job if the photos it contains are well chosen.   But you are missing the point.  I said I loved the calendar.  I use it. I am just sad there are few ships in it, particularly smaller ships. 

I just think we should be thankful we have been sent a calendar of any kind whether they showed ships or not. After the year P&O have had they could easily have decided not to send one at all but it is very easy to criticise. I know of a well known tyre company who for years have produced a calendar and if my memory is right not one of them showed any tyres 😜

Edited by majortom10
  • Haha 1

Received mine during the week. Very grateful for it, not because it’s of any use to me whatsoever (being a ‘modern man’, my calendar is on my iPad & iPhone 😉) but, as with last years, I sold it on eBay within an hour of listing it - for a tenner. I’m not kidding!

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, galeforce9 said:

They don't need to. They have a huge library of photos to choose from the ones the onboard photographers take, most of which tend not to include the ship. I must admit I was surprised to get one this year but then given the huge mess last year when so many were not sent out, maybe they had to get it right this time.

9 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

They don't need to. They have a huge library of photos to choose from the ones the onboard photographers take, most of which tend not to include the ship. I must admit I was surprised to get one this year but then given the huge mess last year when so many were not sent out, maybe they had to get it right this time.

Hmm true but not always the best though