NCL Airfare

rfs7306

51 minutes ago, jtrollin said:

We actually ended up making our cruise, while we gave up, our TA did not and found us some flights.  We had to rent a car and drive 3.5 hours and my wife's luggage didn't make it, but if nothing else we made it to the boat, now I get to work through United, American and NCL to see if I can recover any of my extra costs.

Cruise was good, staff was great, not my favorite ship (NCL Sky) and food was not up to NCL standards, but not sure what is COVID, what is economy and what is the new cruise experience.

Wow, that's great (that you were able to make it after all, your initial post sounded quite hopeless). Sorry about the food and the ship, but at least you got to go. That's something.

When we booked w/NCL on June 14 for the u/m cruise. No flights were listed on the original invoice we had to wait until early July22 for a airline dates.  During the original booking we had asked the CSR if we could advance the date to an earlier departure (Aug 31) so we could take advantage of visiting Amsterdam prior to departure.  Also was requested to adjust dep from Copenhagen a couple extra days for the same reason.  After receiving the air dates, we called NCL to arrange to amend the dates shown and have been given the round around by your Cruise and Air Department saying a request for resolution has been sent up the line.  We have been on phone since early July and nothing definite has been resolved. Finally received word nothing could/would be done.  Just the other day C/S called us and offered an onBoard Credit or upgrade.  Final note : Prima has delayed departure a day and we may get a part day for an Amsterdam tour.  

3 hours ago, paperpushere said:

No flights were listed on the original invoice

They won't be, unless you intended to indicate that your request to have flights booked wasn't even on the invoice.  Flights don't get booked until 30-45 days before the cruise.

3 hours ago, paperpushere said:

After receiving the air dates, we called NCL to arrange to amend the dates shown and have been given the round around by your Cruise and Air Department saying a request for resolution has been sent up the line.  We have been on phone since early July and nothing definite has been resolved. Finally received word nothing could/would be done

Bolded - we're not NCL, it's not OUR department.  Regarding the rest - if you used the BOGO fares (you don't say but it seems as though this is the case) once the flights are booked you're locked in, they won't do anything.  If you had a concern about that you should have called before the 75 day deadline (per the T&C's of the promotion) to confirm your booking had deviations included.

Hullux,

We learned this the hard way.  I posted about our experience but mentioned our TA and the posts were taken down.  So without mentioning any TA-son and DIL booked 2:1 through a TA and were told because they booked so early, they would almost surely get their request.  Being new to this-they believed what they were told.  They did not think much of not having their flights confirmed 60 days out, but at 45 days out, were shocked to see that they would be leaving the US the day before the cruise and arriving the morning of the cruise, then would be flying out within a couple of hours after docking in Barcelona.  They only learned about this because NCL sent them a confirmation, asking them to check to make sure that all the info was correct.  And Just like the person above, when they called they were told "nothing could be done" to make any changes.  Here's the lesson we learned from this-IF you're going to take advantage of NCL's 2:1 deals, make sure you call frequently to make sure no mistakes have been made.  Once the flights are booked "there's nothing you can do."  Now they are just trying to get seat assignments.  The airlines are telling them because NCL booked the flights, they have to go through NCL.  Fingers crossed that their flights aren't delayed (3 weeks from today)and that they make the cruise. 

@bbqbearswere deviations requested?  If not, NCL was entirely correct to book them in the way they were. The website, at least, informs people that the airfare won't be booked until 30 days prior to the cruise, the TA should have also known this.  The TA also should have advised them to request the deviation, I would suggest a different TA next time if they didn't.  Anyone reading the T&C's of the promo would also learn of the deviations, the terms for requesting such are laid out there and anyone reading the terms might say "hmm, what's a deviation?  oh, I can fly in a day or two before?  that might be a good idea".

Yes, once the booking is moved to the flight department (I'm guessing sometime shortly after the 75 day mark based on the deadlines) nothing related to the flight arrangements can be changed.

• Like 1

Deviations were requested at the time of the booking (1 day early inbound and 2 days post cruise).  Without naming names of the parties involved, there was a lot of finger pointing. Ultimately, the TA refunded the amount but allowed the kids to keep the flights.  I used the refund and bought them one way tickets for 2 days after the end of the cruise.  That will allow them to see a bit of Barcelona-one of the main reasons we booked this itinerary to begin with.  Again, the lesson here is that if you're going to use the 2:1 air-book early and check back often, i.e. do not assume that because you haven't heard from anyone that everything is going according to plan.  If they had done that, they would have been told that the flights haven't been booked yet, but they also would have seen that someone cancelled the request for the air deviations and presumably, could have done something about it. 

My son and DIL are scheduled to arrive in Barcelona at 8:30am, the morning of their cruise.  They will have a shuttle to the port-but I'm wondering how that works with an early arrival.  Anyone know what time they will be allowed to check in, or at least check their luggage?  

1 hour ago, bbqbears said:

My son and DIL are scheduled to arrive in Barcelona at 8:30am, the morning of their cruise.  They will have a shuttle to the port-but I'm wondering how that works with an early arrival.  Anyone know what time they will be allowed to check in, or at least check their luggage?  

They will be fine, although they may have to wait for awhile for the shuttle to leave.  But once they get to the port they will be able to leave their luggage with the porters.

Check in time will be on their eDocs (normally they would choose a time when they do their pre-cruise check in but sometimes with the shuttle it just reverts to open) - again, they may have to wait in the terminal, boarding probably won't start until 11:30-12, rooms available sometime after that so they need to be prepared to lug around any carry-on items...

Our experience in June 2022:

Requested deviation to arrive in Rome for our Greek Isles cruise.  At 40 days out, we got our air reservations for a decent schedule / flight choice.

We were booked in United economy for short leg from home airport to east coast (Newark for us) and then the long leg to Italy. 

Although I've got decent mileage/status on United, was told that I could not buy an upgrade from economy to premium econ (purple seats) at any price.  Not for cash, mileage, or my left kidney.

The NCL Air team voicemail greeting basically says 'you get what you get and you don't get upset.'

Two days before departure, United alerted us that the short leg had been cancelled, so we would not make our connection, and invited us to rebook.  Got on chat with United (way faster than waiting on hold!) to get moved to a different pair of flights that got us to Rome at about the same time, but through a different connection (IAD).  And (hahaha!) we were assigned the only available seats on the long leg... bulkhead premium economy.

I sprained my ankle in Naples before we even got to the ship.

Our return flight was booked nearly to the rafters.  We were booked in the middle section (4 seats across) almost in the back, with one empty seat in the row.  I think it was the only empty on the whole flight, but I was super glad to be able to get my swollen ankle up for at least part of the flight. 

Re: USA to Europe flights using 2 for 1 air.

1. Has anyone who requested Newark (EWR) as their departing airport been boked from another NYC airport (JFK, LGA)?   

I'm concerned about this clause in the Terms & Conditions:

Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to select an alternate airport within 60 miles based on itinerary, choose the air carrier, routing and city airport from each gateway city and reserves the right to substitute commuter service and/or charter air service for scheduled air carriers without prior notice.”

2. Has anyone been booked into non-stop flights from EWR to FCO (Rome) or other non-stop to your Europe port city when using the 2 for 1 air? If not, how many connections and what was your connecting airport?

This is my first post, and a new cruiser. Thank you in advance for your help. 🙂 

• Like 1

One last question about NCL 2:1 fares.  Son and DIL were told that once flight had been assigned, they would be able to go directly to the airline and request seat assignments, and even pay for upgrade.  We know the second part of that is not true, but wondering if anyone who has used the 2:1 air has been able to get requested seats when available? 

3 minutes ago, bbqbears said:

One last question about NCL 2:1 fares.  Son and DIL were told that once flight had been assigned, they would be able to go directly to the airline and request seat assignments, and even pay for upgrade.  We know the second part of that is not true, but wondering if anyone who has used the 2:1 air has been able to get requested seats when available? 

We were able to select our seats and upgrade to Premium Economy on WestJet and Air Canada.

1 hour ago, bbqbears said:

I could be wrong, but I do believe it varies by what airline you end up booked with; some allow it and others don't.

2 hours ago, bbqbears said:

but wondering if anyone who has used the 2:1 air has been able to get requested seats when available? 

We been able to select seats on both Delta and American on different NCL air deals.

Thanks, everybody.  Ontheweb, I think you're right.  DIL was able to get seats on Delta, but had no option to upgrade, and although ticket says Delta, because Atlanta to Barcelona is on KLM, couldn't get seats. That was on the weekend, but  I called KLM for them this morning and was finally able to get through and got them two seats together, one of them an aisle.  So that was great. But no other changes were available.  

23 minutes ago, Mommu98 said:

How soon can you book the flights?  We have a trip in May 2023 Alaska 

If you selected NCL flights as part of your booking, YOU won't be booking flights.  NCL will contact you sometime closer to your cruise with your flight information.

If you are booking independently, you are free to book your flights whenever you are able.

We had a cruise with NCL to the eastern Mediterranean scheduled for the end of June. We did the NCL-arranged BOGO airfare from Denver to Athens. We got on the Air Canada plane to travel to Toronto for a transfer to a flight to Athens. After sitting on the plane for 45 minutes, they announced that they had mechanical trouble, and we all had to deplane. After waiting for another hour in the gate area, we saw the crew deplane. They had “timed out” and could no longer legally fly. 

I immediately called Norwegian. After being on hold for almost an hour, they told me that I would have to work the issue with Air Canada. Our cruise was leaving from Athens the next day.  Air Canada said that the only flight they could get us on to Athens was in mid-July. We might be able to arrange another airline, but at our own expense — and we would still not make boarding time in Athens. Norwegian said that due to Covid we could not join mid-cruise. Complicating this was the fact that my wife has a medical oxygen concentrator, and arrangements have to be made with airlines two weeks in advance to bring it onboard.

So there was no way to get to the cruise.  

We had bought the platinum travel protection package, so we called Norwegian again and after waiting on hold again for almost an hour, we cancelled the cruise. 

NCL reimbursed the shore tours and other prepaid onboard expenses. We filed a formal claim with Aon, NCL’s insurer. After a month, NCL provided us with future cruise credit equal to 90 percent of our cruise fare. 

The $1500 for airfare is apparently lost (neither Air Canada nor NCL will reimburse) as well as 10 percent of the cruise fare. So we are out about $2200. 

We would love to rebook for November (out of Rome), but even if we schedule for an arrival 2 days before boarding (the maximum that NCL allows when they book airfare), that would not help if a similar situation were to arise — and airlines are cancelling flights all the time these days. We are thinking about booking airfare ourselves on an airline with more presence in Denver than Air Canada, with arrival in Rome at least a week early. 

I just have no confidence that we can ever cruise with NCL. 

Edited by SRAcruise
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:35 AM, Nola26 said:

Athens

- Sailing in September and now final payment isn't until July, so no clue how we'll be booked

- My guess is it will be United (nonstop) or American(connect in London Heathrow)

- We've never been to London, so I'll treat it as a half full scenario if we have to connect

- Honestly, with COVID protocols that are likely to still be in place I suspect NCL will try to book more nonstop flights to minimize the possibility that their passengers get hung up pre cruise

Hi!

I was wondering what flights NCL booked you into from EWR to ATH? 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:59 PM, SRAcruise said:

We had a cruise with NCL to the eastern Mediterranean scheduled for the end of June. We did the NCL-arranged BOGO airfare from Denver to Athens. We got on the Air Canada plane to travel to Toronto for a transfer to a flight to Athens. After sitting on the plane for 45 minutes, they announced that they had mechanical trouble, and we all had to deplane. After waiting for another hour in the gate area, we saw the crew deplane. They had “timed out” and could no longer legally fly. 

I immediately called Norwegian. After being on hold for almost an hour, they told me that I would have to work the issue with Air Canada. Our cruise was leaving from Athens the next day.  Air Canada said that the only flight they could get us on to Athens was in mid-July. We might be able to arrange another airline, but at our own expense — and we would still not make boarding time in Athens. Norwegian said that due to Covid we could not join mid-cruise. Complicating this was the fact that my wife has a medical oxygen concentrator, and arrangements have to be made with airlines two weeks in advance to bring it onboard.

So there was no way to get to the cruise.  

We had bought the platinum travel protection package, so we called Norwegian again and after waiting on hold again for almost an hour, we cancelled the cruise. 

NCL reimbursed the shore tours and other prepaid onboard expenses. We filed a formal claim with Aon, NCL’s insurer. After a month, NCL provided us with future cruise credit equal to 90 percent of our cruise fare. 

The $1500 for airfare is apparently lost (neither Air Canada nor NCL will reimburse) as well as 10 percent of the cruise fare. So we are out about $2200. 

We would love to rebook for November (out of Rome), but even if we schedule for an arrival 2 days before boarding (the maximum that NCL allows when they book airfare), that would not help if a similar situation were to arise — and airlines are cancelling flights all the time these days. We are thinking about booking airfare ourselves on an airline with more presence in Denver than Air Canada, with arrival in Rome at least a week early. 

I just have no confidence that we can ever cruise with NCL. 

Perhaps you it might have been better if you'd purchased your own trip insurance rather than the one NCL offered.  Either way, you ALWAYS need to read the policy itself to see exactly what is covered and what isn't.

On 12/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, rfs7306 said:

Has anyone done airfare to Europe with NCL ? What was your experience, seats with travel companion? Ex: window and isle. Able to upgrade if wanted?  Please advise have never done this before and I am a little concerned about doing it. BTW leaving from Boston if that makes a difference . What airline did NCL arrange for you? Thank You in advance for your help.

We’re thinking about TAP Portuguese airlines on our own a few days early. As we were burnt through celebrity airfare a few years ago and another maybe RCL once too, canceled flights scrambling and even staying overnight on way home, fingers pointing and emergency phone number useless. Used tap airlines before and wonderful but doing at least 2 days prior 

I have an upcoming cruise from Dubai-Athens in Feb.  I took advantage of the BOGO airfare.  I am flying from Los Angles to catch the ship in Dubai ( two nights pre- cruise deviation), flying back to Los Angeles from Athens ( another two nights post cruise deviation).  I booked my own hotels ( with changes allowed upto 3 days before arrival...just incase I got my dates screwed up due to time zone changes). I guess I am more of an adventurer and just waiting to see where my connections are and for how long.  There is only 1 non-stop flight to Dubai from LAX ( I would be SUPRISED if that is what i am booked on).  I have been looking at flights, and I am fine with the layovers in any of those locations.  If the layover is hours long (more than 4), I hope to be able to leave the airport and do a short city tour.  When traveling overseas, I always carry a backpack with my toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, a lightweight jacket and a change of shirt.  The  backpack makes a great pillow if I have to sleep in the airport ( been there).  This cruise will be my first where I have not taken complete control of air fare.  If it all fails, it will be added to my stories of mis-adventures while traveling to be told over dinner with friends ( and I have had a few major mishaps while traveling).  Im just going to roll with it, whatever happens, it all part of the memories.  

23 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I have an upcoming cruise from Dubai-Athens in Feb.  I took advantage of the BOGO airfare.  I am flying from Los Angles to catch the ship in Dubai ( two nights pre- cruise deviation), flying back to Los Angeles from Athens ( another two nights post cruise deviation).  I booked my own hotels ( with changes allowed upto 3 days before arrival...just incase I got my dates screwed up due to time zone changes). I guess I am more of an adventurer and just waiting to see where my connections are and for how long.  There is only 1 non-stop flight to Dubai from LAX ( I would be SUPRISED if that is what i am booked on).  I have been looking at flights, and I am fine with the layovers in any of those locations.  If the layover is hours long (more than 4), I hope to be able to leave the airport and do a short city tour.  When traveling overseas, I always carry a backpack with my toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, a lightweight jacket and a change of shirt.  The  backpack makes a great pillow if I have to sleep in the airport ( been there).  This cruise will be my first where I have not taken complete control of air fare.  If it all fails, it will be added to my stories of mis-adventures while traveling to be told over dinner with friends ( and I have had a few major mishaps while traveling).  Im just going to roll with it, whatever happens, it all part of the memories.  

👌 I hope it all works out for you. And wouldn't it be great if you did get that one non-stop flight.

• Like 1