Quantum returning to port - possible coronavirus case onboard.

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Taking one test 1 week before the cruise does not sound like a good idea to me. I don't know all the details but I want to wish everyone to think about it beforehand.

Read the other Quantum threads in the past week, you'll see all the details. The PCR test to allow customers on board is NOT one week out, it's 2-3 days out. False positives are not that rare.

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The same can be said of universities. However, it seems that imparting the ability to critically think for oneself is something that is stifled, and perhaps feared, as the conclusions that end up being drawn may not fit the desired agenda.

Yes and we see it here why that is so true. 

M8

On 12/12/2020 at 3:47 PM, TheMastodon said:

When certain channels are programmed to give you a the same view every time I call that disingenuous.  Journalism should challenge the consumer to consume a topic and form their own opinion - not get opinions from the journalist/media directly.   

Just imagine how Duke Lacrosse circa  2006 would be covered today.  

Would any mainstream media show a graphic below right now? No.  Why not though? Doesn’t fit the narrative.

0140C8E1-8D7D-4E9F-AB8C-3FF2F7E05238.thumb.jpeg.4226bcdb07ea1fc4bcd765407b40f5f3.jpeg

The reaction by some proves exactly what I mean when I talk about people "moving the goalposts." When I say, as a healthy 56 year-old, that the risk posed to me by COVID-19 is very low, I am told "anybody can get it, everybody should wear a mask," etc., as if all populations were equally at risk. Yet when a graphic like the above points out the risk to a tiny portion of people roughly my age and below, it's "disingenuous and misleading." And why would that be? I'll tell you why: because if you're below 80 in the USA, your risk of death due to this virus is extremely low. So which is it? Does everybody have to be careful 24/7 because everybody can die from it, or is it really mostly the elderly? It can't be both. As for me, I will follow the guidance of my personal physician and the advice of medical experts, not TV doctors, not politicians, not news anchors and certainly not random folks on social media. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The reaction by some proves exactly what I mean when I talk about people "moving the goalposts." When I say, as a healthy 56 year-old, that the risk posed to me by COVID-19 is very low, I am told "anybody can get it, everybody should wear a mask," etc., as if all populations were equally at risk. Yet when a graphic like the above points out the risk to a tiny portion of people roughly my age and below, it's "disingenuous and misleading." And why would that be? I'll tell you why: because if you're below 80 in the USA, your risk of death due to this virus is extremely low. So which is it? Does everybody have to be careful 24/7 because everybody can die from it, or is it really mostly the elderly? It can't be both. As for me, I will follow the guidance of my personal physician and the advice of medical experts, not TV doctors, not politicians, not news anchors and certainly not random folks on social media. 

Everybody has to be careful because regardless of age a  portion of those that contract the virus will use significant healthcare resources.

If one is an otherwise healthy 50-some year old seriously injured in a random accident, the fact that there are no icu beds available and er staff are stretched and exhausted will certainly impact the quality of your care.

As to the graph, whenever I see graphs and statistics these days I check for original sources and accuracy. Doesn't matter the point of view being put forward, it has sadly become necessary to verify this stuff. I find it curious in the presented graph that the age of 50 is used. I find it so because I could not find any age related statistics from the CDC that use 50 as a division.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Everybody has to be careful because regardless of age a  portion of those that contract the virus will use significant healthcare resources.

That statement applies to anyone who contracts any infectious disease.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That statement applies to anyone who contracts any infectious disease.

Somewhat true. It's why, at least where I live, we don't let those with serious infectious diseases walk around infecting others.

But trying to equate covid with the flu is diengenuous. The flu has not put over a million people in hospital rooms this year. Nor has measles or tuberculosis.

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

Somewhat true. It's why, at least where I live, we don't let those with serious infectious diseases walk around infecting others.

But trying to equate covid with the flu is diengenuous. The flu has not put over a million people in hospital rooms this year. Nor has measles or tuberculosis.

The 2nd sentence of your last paragraph is a little misleading. COVID has been substituted for the cause of death for many other illnesses, and the reason the "regular" flu has received so little attention in 2020 compared to past years is that COVID gets all of the press. I'm somewhat skeptical of the notion that the "regular" flu seems to have diminished. I think COVID is being blamed instead. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

No my statement is not "somewhat" true. There is always the possibility of the most routine types of infections, for whatever reason,  unexpectantly wreaking havoc in the body it manages to infect. 

Your remark about not letting people with serious infectious disease walk around infecting others where you live really wasn't needed. That is how most first world countries operate.

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The 2nd sentence of your last paragraph is a little misleading. COVID has been substituted for the cause of death for many other illnesses, and the reason the "regular" flu has received so little attention in 2020 compared to past years is that COVID gets all of the press. I'm somewhat skeptical of the notion that the "regular" flu seems to have diminished. I think COVID is being blamed instead. 

Generally a covid death is diagnosed because of a positive covid test.

Perhaps the fact that most people are wearing masks and social distancing is the reason for much lower incidents of flu.

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

Generally a covid death is diagnosed because of a positive covid test.

Perhaps the fact that most people are wearing masks and social distancing is the reason for much lower incidents of flu.

It is not unusual at all for cause of death to be based on clinical assessment. It is always nice when there are tests to back it up but not a requirement.

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

As for me, I will follow the guidance of my personal physician and the advice of medical experts, not TV doctors, not politicians, not news anchors and certainly not random folks on social media. 

Yep, their track record is, well, not very good.  🙉 🙈 🙊

Remember in May, when it was proffered that "a vaccine would be available by the end of the year?"

Laughs, insults, taunts and related childlike fits. 🙄

Examples ~

NBC/MSNBC

"It is preposterous," It is impossible to get that done by January (2021)."  (Dr. Irwin Redlener, former Professor of Health Policy and Pediatrics, Columbia University, NOW Special Advisor to NYC Mayor de Blasio and, since March 2020, on-air public health analyst at NBC and MSNBC). 🤓

https://www.msnbc.com/11th-hour/watch/trump-s-claim-of-a-coronavirus-vaccine-by-january-is-preposterous-83533381659

BLOOMBERG NEWS

"the vaccine aspirations amount to "an impossible dream.""

The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

• Like 2