Quantum returning to port - possible coronavirus case onboard.

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I don't understand the details of how they do it, but there has to be a sufficient amount of mucus cells on the swab for the sample to be valid. I suppose if the swab is placed far enough down the throat it might work too but who's going to do that. I've seen a number of studies that have found self-swabbing is as effective as medically administered tests, so I'm optimistic that this is something that could be implemented on the ships. The system we've been using here has almost become second nature routine and I haven't heard of many issues with it. As with everything, it's evolving over time.

I took your earlier comment "The lab can tell if you didn't do it properly." to mean that you were aware of a way that the lab could tell if it wasn't done properly.  

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I took your earlier comment "The lab can tell if you didn't do it properly." to mean that you knew. 

I know because they told us that they know and they will hunt us down if we don't do it right. I forgot the technical explanation.

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I say don't knock it until you try it, but if you have a better solution than sticking swabs up my nose I'm all ears.

I have no plan and it isn't my job to figure it out. Since you are obviously not grasping my concerns I will just leave it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, it isn't going to happen, but you know what? We can choose to ignore them, which I do on a daily basis. I don't trust the media anymore. I make up my own mind by doing my own research and I leave the fearmongering to the craven, greedy media.

Yep +1.  I don't trust the MSM one single bit (both sides)  Silicon Valley calls the shots, and the media follows their lead.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

I know because they told us that they know and they will hunt us down if we don't do it right. I forgot the technical explanation.

2 to 1 they told people this to encourage them to do it properly/make it sound like everyone else is doing in right so all are nice and safe.

And don't get me wrong, I am OK with your idea of everyday testing.  I just doubt the feasibility/relevance, in part, because in a cruise setting maybe 1 in 10 will have your knowledge/experience when it comes to self administering tests.

43 minutes ago, Jarmo said:

2 to 1 they told people this to encourage them to do it properly/make it sound like everyone else is doing in right so all are nice and safe.

And don't get me wrong, I am OK with your idea of everyday testing.  I just doubt the feasibility/relevance, in part, because in a cruise setting maybe 1 in 10 will have your knowledge/experience when it comes to self administering tests.

The CDC has issued guidance for this, and their instructions are the same and just as simple. The FDA is also encouraging it. I'm just saying from personal experience that this isn't hard and could be implemented on a ship. I've gotten it right every time, even the first time I did it on my own. Trying to be optimistic that this is a potential solution.

For a LAMP test, the lab needs to extract a sufficient amount Ribonuclease P from the sample, which in my understanding is not in our armpits, but what do I know. So if there isn't enough RNaseP on the swab, the sample is invalid.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/testing.html

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-first-covid-19-test-self-testing-home

BTW these are just screening tests, any positive must be retested to confirm.

Edited by Pratique

On 12/10/2020 at 5:25 AM, DCGuy64 said:

No, it isn't going to happen, but you know what? We can choose to ignore them, which I do on a daily basis. I don't trust the media anymore. I make up my own mind by doing my own research and I leave the fearmongering to the craven, greedy media.

Social media is perhaps an even worse problem.  For some, social media is their only source of "news".

• Like 5

18 hours ago, mpk said:

Social media is perhaps an even worse problem.  For some, social media is their only source of "news".

It’s better news than Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, Hannity, etc.  You just have to find verified people.   

However, in general social media is rat poison for developing adolescent minds IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheMastodon said:

I’d say it’s 50/50 at best.  Not fake, but disingenuous and manipulative.  

Have five people view the same event from the same vantage. One will get five different reports. Are they all disingenuous?

40 minutes ago, broberts said:

Have five people view the same event from the same vantage. One will get five different reports. Are they all disingenuous?

When certain channels are programmed to give you a the same view every time I call that disingenuous.  Journalism should challenge the consumer to consume a topic and form their own opinion - not get opinions from the journalist/media directly.   

Just imagine how Duke Lacrosse circa  2006 would be covered today.  

Would any mainstream media show a graphic below right now? No.  Why not though? Doesn’t fit the narrative.

0140C8E1-8D7D-4E9F-AB8C-3FF2F7E05238.thumb.jpeg.4226bcdb07ea1fc4bcd765407b40f5f3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

When certain channels are programmed to give you a the same view every time I call that disingenuous.  Journalism should challenge the consumer to consume a topic and form their own opinion - not get opinions from the journalist/media directly.   

The same can be said of universities. However, it seems that imparting the ability to critically think for oneself is something that is stifled, and perhaps feared, as the conclusions that end up being drawn may not fit the desired agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Would any mainstream media show a graphic below right now? No.  Why not though? Doesn’t fit the narrative.

0140C8E1-8D7D-4E9F-AB8C-3FF2F7E05238.thumb.jpeg.4226bcdb07ea1fc4bcd765407b40f5f3.jpeg

Since that chart only includes covid patients under 50, I'd say you're comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Nearly 300,000 Americans have died from covid-19 in the last 10 months. 

You may not consider 300,000 dead people the major news story. Sadly their loved ones and many others do.

The mainstream media does report on the lower death rates of under 50. It just doesn't think that is the most important part of the story. 

25 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

Since that chart only includes covid patients under 50, I'd say you're comparing apples to oranges.

It is beyond comparing apples to oranges. Posting a chart of “Chances of Death in the US” in which one, and only one, category is marked (in smaller print) as relating to persons under 50 is a fine example of disingenuous information, precisely what the individual who posted the chart has been complaining about. Talk about hypocrisy. 

I’d hope the MSM would not post that chart, not because it would not fit the narrative, but because the chart is misleading and disingenuous. 

Edited by TravelerThom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

The above is meaningless. Why is Covid-19 the only one limited to under 50? My guess is the are trying to minimize the true affect of the virus. It appears that all lives don’t matter, just the younger ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Actually found answer to my own question. Dec. 10th cruise was cancelled and they are planning on resuming with Dec. 14th cruise. Cheers! 

Feel sorry for those people on the cancelled Dec. 10th cruise because of the false positive test.

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

Feel sorry for those people on the cancelled Dec. 10th cruise because of the false positive test.

I dont get it. I think they should have taken it waay earlier, and 2-3 times just to be on the safe side. Taking one test 1 week before the cruise does not sound like a good idea to me. I dont know all the details but I want to wish everyone to think about it beforehand