out of Labadie ?

Besides COVID 19, Haiti also has other health and sanitation issues like cholera and zika. The Labedee BBQ area was full of black flies and didn't look very clean. I skipped the salad bar and dessert station. Only took freshly cook BBQ meat straight off the grill. One has to be a risk taker to venture out the gated area.

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I tend to not be a very squeamish person and I'd love to go to the Cidadel if RCI offered an excursion. However, Labadee is one place where I have no desire to venture beyond the fence on my own. The place is way too isolated. I feel safer walking around Ocho Rios in Jamaica.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

No,I am saying it is 100 % safe within the fence.There are armed guards there to insure that people do not go outside the fence.There is no reason to do that.

And I did not say anything about RCI's compound not being safe. I said that I had no desire to venture BEYOND the fence on my own.... even if I could.

• Like 1

Just being slightly nit picky, you do go out the Labadee gate for the short trip to the top of the zipline. That's in another guarded compound. 

In terms of getting a feel for what's outside the gate you could do that in other ports like Falmouth. Personally I'm just as happy to get a glimpse from the bus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NO_Member_Name said:

Just being slightly nit picky, you do go out the Labadee gate for the short trip to the top of the zipline. That's in another guarded compound. 

In terms of getting a feel for what's outside the gate you could do that in other ports like Falmouth. Personally I'm just as happy to get a glimpse from the bus.

The road up to the zipline platform is outside of the compound. I have not done the line at Labadee so I can't relate any personal experience for you.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:12 PM, sfaaa said:

Besides COVID 19, Haiti also has other health and sanitation issues like cholera and zika. The Labedee BBQ area was full of black flies and didn't look very clean. I skipped the salad bar and dessert station. Only took freshly cook BBQ meat straight off the grill. One has to be a risk taker to venture out the gated area.

Agree with other posters about this being simply a beach break. We no longer get off the ship at Labadee and enjoy the ship instead. The whirlpool in the Solarium is our favorite spot to have a couple beers and enjoy the day. Also, lunch on board beats anything they try to cook on the beach.

50 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Agree with other posters about this being simply a beach break. We no longer get off the ship at Labadee and enjoy the ship instead. The whirlpool in the Solarium is our favorite spot to have a couple beers and enjoy the day. Also, lunch on board beats anything they try to cook on the beach.

I agree. We get off the ship and walk around but go back to the ship for lunch. If the food on the ship had as many flies on it as the food in the compound people would be up in arms.

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. We get off the ship and walk around but go back to the ship for lunch. If the food on the ship had as many flies on it as the food in the compound people would be up in arms.

I spend most of the day off the ship because I am a beach person. I do Caribbean cruises in large part for the beaches. I like the ships but prefer the sea days for the ship experience. Labadee is a pretty good beach experience if you go to Columbus Cove, Nellies or are in a suite and have access to Barefoot Beach. (avoid Adrenaline beach) The picnic food is brought from the ship and ok for that kind of food. They should put in Snack Shacks like they have put in at Perfect Day at CocoCay. Much better and the food is not served out in the open. 

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I spend most of the day off the ship because I am a beach person. I do Caribbean cruises in large part for the beaches. I like the ships but prefer the sea days for the ship experience. Labadee is a pretty good beach experience if you go to Columbus Cove, Nellies or are in a suite and have access to Barefoot Beach. (avoid Adrenaline beach) The picnic food is brought from the ship and ok for that kind of food. They should put in Snack Shacks like they have put in at Perfect Day at CocoCay. Much better and the food is not served out in the open. 

We've never been to CocoCay. The one time we were to go there (before they put in the dock), there were so many ships there and the weather and seas were rough so we ended up staying on board.

So what do they serve at the snack shacks?

Thanks

T

The "Adrenaline Boat Ride" (I think that's what they call it) is the best deal at Labadee.  About 45-50.00 for a 45 minute ride up the coast on a fun high speed boat with only around 10 passengers.  They have a local guide who talks about Haiti and some history.   No stops or historical sites, but great views of the island and a fun ride.  Best of all, a 45 minute fun time at half the cost of the 60 second zip line. 🙂

Someone asks a simple question about the Citadel in Labadee, and soon the discussion is about safety in Ocho Rios and flies on the potato salad........    Covid has kept people cooped up too long.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:49 PM, TheMastodon said:

Cruising is probably not for you

At least maybe not crusing the Caribbean, which with a few exceptions is more about easy going beach holidays and activites connected to that.

However crusing is much more than the Caribbean, hence it's someone for everyone and depding on the itinararies and placed to be visited around the globe it can be very cultural enriching.

We miss Labadee.

After 9 ish stops there and being at Barefoot beach 8 times after it became a suite beach  we kinda enjoy the area.

Now mind you, I have never seen flies on the food, and yes we have the drink package, but only drink pop and water here.  So I am sober and would see them.   Too hot for me to consume potent potables.

My only complaint and it has been on my evaluation for years is that this area only has one hut to get beverages from.  Water, soda, drinks.  Plus this is the same hut that the runners get their orders from.

It is not uncommon to wait for a diet coke for upto 15 min.  because they are too  busy.

The food, yes the BBQ is an upgrade, but it is lunch for us.

I could never consume what they have available.

At home when not cruising, we usually have a cup of soup and half sandwich.  

Our bigger meal is dinner and we usually eat that after 6.

I usually get some shrimp and taste  the steak.  Two years ago got a piece of chicken.  

Avoid the salads, and desserts.

We love just floating on a floatie for hours on end at the beach and sometimes snorkel.

Hope this year we get to try something new by going to Coco Cay on our two cruises if they happen.

Stay healthy.

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

We've never been to CocoCay. The one time we were to go there (before they put in the dock), there were so many ships there and the weather and seas were rough so we ended up staying on board.

So what do they serve at the snack shacks?

Thanks

T

They have a limited menu of burgers, chicken sandwich, hot dogs, pretty good French fries. A few salads. 

CocoCay is much improved since they put in the dock. The other restaurants are not bad, they are better than those at Labadee. They also have their own beer at CocoCay and it is not bad at all.  

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

They have a limited menu of burgers, chicken sandwich, hot dogs, pretty good French fries. A few salads. 

CocoCay is much improved since they put in the dock. The other restaurants are not bad, they are better than those at Labadee. They also have their own beer at CocoCay and it is not bad at all.  

Thanks. I'll have to try the beer!

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Someone asks a simple question about the Citadel in Labadee, and soon the discussion is about safety in Ocho Rios and flies on the potato salad........    Covid has kept people cooped up too long.

That is because there are only so many ways to say that you can't get there from here.

Appreciate the info about the boat ride. I might look into it next time.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Labadee several times and CocoCay once.  Prefer Columbus Cove on Labadee, and we take the tram to that area.  I don't buy souvenirs there, but I do try to remember to take a couple dollars to tip the attendant in the restroom.  We take our own bottles of water off the ship, and only ate at the BBQ once.  Prefer to go in the morning, enjoy several hours at the beach, and go back onboard for lunch.  (Or skip it if dining early.)

there is a thread buried somewhere here on CC of someone who said they DID successfully book an excursion that picked them up at the gate of RCCL Labadee and took them into the surrounding area.  Maybe if you dig long enuf on trip advisor .....

There ARE multiple resort hotels with a few miles of 'the compound' .... frequented by Europeans mostly. I visited a couple from a cruise  that stopped in Cap Hattian back in the 80's. The Citadel was a common excursion back then ....

I've been here ....  https://cormierhaiti.com/

Lab' history ... Royal back in the early 80's began the lease for this property with the government of Haiti. Work began but the situation in Haiti was going down fast so they locked the gates and the place sat for many years in a partially built state. I was taken here by boat from Cormier Resort around 84 by the master of a cruise ship stopped in Cap H' ... He showed me around the place and told me the story ... we bought lobster from local fisherman. Haiti had problems with leaders, mass exodus, AIDS and earthquakes ... I visited many times thru the 80's and 90's in an 'official capacity' ..... Royal finally returned to Labadee and began to build what you see today ... picking up the pieces. A major reason Labadee and Falmouth were finally built was the lack of long deep berths for the Freedom and later Oasis class ... there just were't many natural ports in the islands where they'd fit ... a new motivation!

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1