Air thru NCL (US to Amsterdam RT)

KKB

We have never booked air w/ a cruiseline as we have only cruised domestically so far. 

I just booked UK late June cruise. Air was only $450 each from the Midwest w/ the BOGO promo so it was a no brainer.

Only downer is we sure would like to visit the Anne Frank house.

Is it typical to be arriving the day of departure & head straight to the ship? (also after the cruise as well).

Do they give you options to choose from or are you simply given flights & that is that?

You're given flights about 30 days out, and you have no say in the carrier or times. You are allowed up to a 2-3 day deviation pre or post cruise. Especially for an international flight, I would personally go in one day early just to adjust to the time zones and make sure I don't miss the boat. Then you could do a small bit of sightseeing the day you arrive without having to rush.

Thx all, helps to have an idea what will happen. 

Hopefully all will be open this summer. I am a teacher & DM is 76. Teachers are expected to be vaccinated next month & my mom would be the next group according to our state health dept.
We nearly always try to fly in the day before domestically so DEFINITELY would prefer to internationally, even if there wasn't something I really wanted to do!

DM, DD & I are also cruising the Med the 1st week of August. We had a Med cruise booked the end of May this year for DD's college graduation...we all know how that went...

DM & I are going out Thurs (cruise embarks Sun) but with work, DD will arrive noon Sat. She is young--she did Spain over spring break last year so she can handle jet lag even only doing a week in Europe!

(yeah, seems crazy to head the last 10 days of June & then back the last week of July; I agree. I was trying to get us to fly out , do the UK cruise, then meet DD for the Med cruise but Mom didn't want to be away from Dad that long, even tho my DH plus DB are here if he needs anything--and he's not an invalid or anything! But if this year taught me anything it's to NOT PUT off things anymore. Mom is in great shape but YOU NEVER KNOW)

Amsterdam is a great city. Definately do the 2 day deviation if you can. You won’t have trouble spending the extra time there, especially since it takes 1-2 days to get used to the time change. I second the recommendation to get advance tickets to the Ann frank house. And look into that well ahead of time. If I am remembering correctly, they go on sale at either 30 or 60 days ahead of the date. And they do sell out quite quickly. 

I have never booked air through NCL, but I think you should look at booking on your own.  Use Google Flights and play around with different days, airlines, and departure cities.  I think you are in Nebraska, so if you could book an inexpensive flight to Chicago or some city with several different airlines flying to AMS, you might get a much better choice and price.  Two days in AMS are a good idea, or even three.   AMS is a great city to stroll through without having to rush.  There are many things to see.