Royal app to charge $1.99/day to use messaging service?

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Pre covid it would have been free. Now they need to scrape up all of the nickels and dimes that they can get. If people can't understand this they will be in for the shock of their life when they see how the on board experience is going to cost them more. They need to pay those loans back.

What examples do you have of this.  So far things in the cruise planner haven't changed much in price and really if you purchase things ahead of time there's not much to buy on board.

With all the cruise lines in the same position and all competing for a smaller market of customers willing to cruise the last thing lines want to do is pi** people off to the extent that it gives them a reason to jump ship to one of their competitors.

While I agree that you will see prices rise I certainly don't thin k it will be as bad as the end of the world scenario that you are painting

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What examples do you have of this.  So far things in the cruise planner haven't changed much in price and really if you purchase things ahead of time there's not much to buy on board.

With all the cruise lines in the same position and all competing for a smaller market of customers willing to cruise the last thing lines want to do is pi** people off to the extent that it gives them a reason to jump ship to one of their competitors.

While I agree that you will see prices rise I certainly don't thin k it will be as bad as the end of the world scenario that you are painting

Have any of those sailed? Yes you can offer good prices to bait people to float a loan but if the ship ain't sailing it won't matter. Also it may not come to an actual $ payout. It might boil down to less offerings in the buffet or MDR or less service. Someone is going to have to pay along the way to cover the cost. This is just basic economics.  As you can see they are charging $2 for a texting service that they claimed would have been free 2 yrs ago. Also I see a lot of complaints with future cruise prices spiking. It would be naive to think that the cruise lines can recover without managing the bottom line and that cost will be passed on to the passenger. 

21 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Curious where you've heard remote work is less productive.

The majority of companies in my benchmark calls in my industry are indicating they are finding higher productivity for most.  Those that have appropriate work spaces and can avoid distractions.  That seems to be about 80% of those that shifted out of office.  Without commute time, we are more productive, and we have fewer distractions. The downside is burnout rates are increasing and video call fatigue.

The people who are less productive have homes where they cannot be away from noise, pets, and children, or for whom it just isn't a compatible work style.  Also, it is very challenging to integrate new hires into a company in this mode.

Many companies had been swinging back from remote work to requiring in-office - IBM for example. The Pandemic has swung most companies sharply back to being more accepting again, and many are now investigating reduction of office space and more allowance for permanent work at home situations.

+1

Every single firm in my industry (Financial Services) has been working 95-99% remotely since March.  productivity is up, errors are down, and our most recent global employee opinion survey (from September) showed increased job satisfaction and engagement. That’s 17,000 employees from the US to UK, Brazil, Australia, Taiwan, China, etc.  I have more frequent and more engaged contact with my staff than when we were in the same building. My firm is global with offices in all time zones but I don’t think we are unusual in seeing benefits. 

the option of working from a ship cabin, or a hotel in another country, is a huge perq for those of us who are able to do so. Kudos to the cruise line that realizes this and goes after this market. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Disney has two mobile phones per room that you can take and call the other phone from anywhere on the ship or their private island. This is useful when one person plans to meet up with another and they need to coordinate.

That's probably what the chat app is for, but lower tech that uses the passenger's own phone. However, charging for it may defeat the purpose of improving the customer experience on the ship.

Disney also has passenger-to-passenger chat available in in the app.  And there isn't an extra charge.

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is just basic economics.  

Basis economics goes way beyond the short term recovery of additional debt they have incurred.

Losing just 5% of an already reduced customer base would have a much greater effect than any increased revenue or drastic cost savings.

It is a delicate balancing act of maintaining and growing the existing base while maximizing revenue and not one that is as easily solved by drastic cutbacks and increased prices as you suggest.  Like I said, I expect prices to rise just not to the picture that you paint.

Obviously none of those ships have sailed but given that I have many purchases through 2022 I fully expect many of them to sail.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They may have a flip phone without WiFI. Or else they don't know that on a smartphone that WiFI can be turned on in Airplane mode. 

I have a galaxy 10.  I cannot TEXT while phone is in airplane mode.  Since I buy the ships wifi, I figured out long ago that amazingly I could turn my wifi on while on my cruise.  I initially responded that rather than text, my husband and I EMAIL each other if we are in separate parts of ship (gym, sunbathing, napping in cabin, working in cabin...).  If you can tell me how I can text with wifi and in airplane mode, let me know.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Android phones can using an app called WhatsApp or other similar product.  The great thing about Apple is the iMessage feature.  It creates a seamless messaging experience across platforms.  

Ill have to try this.  A couple of vendors suggested this to me when I explained that they could email me but not text.  Luckily my husband has international calling plan for work so we usually use his number/phone once we go into the airplane mode zones.  He can text and receive calls.  I cannot.  But I will definitely look into whatsapp.  I use snapchat with my kids and FB messaging with my mom while at sea.  Husband does not have either so its a pain when I lose him on the ship.

Edited by jean87510

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Ill have to try this.  A couple of vendors suggested this to me when I explained that they could email me but not text.  Luckily my husband has international calling plan for work so we usually use his number/phone once we go into the airplane mode zones.  He can text and receive calls.  I cannot.  But I will definitely look into whatsapp.  I use snapchat with my kids and FB messaging with my mom while at sea.  Husband does not have either so its a pain when I lose him on the ship.

Your cell phone provider can play a role in SMS text over wifi.  In some cases it is bound to wifi calling and won't work if wifi calling isn't available.  I have a Galaxy S7 and SMS texting works on AT&T unless I disable wifi calling.  If I try to text with wifi calling off it produces an error and says it will be sent when service is available.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We have verizon and use WiFi calling for calls and text. Works great on ship. 
you need to set it up with your carrier before you leave on trip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

WhatsApp works like FB messenger.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:35 AM, crazyank said:

One more reason to toss the phone in the safe when on board

Agreed.  It's one of the things I like about cruising.  I have no need (or desire) to use a phone while cruising.

Edited by time4u2go

15 hours ago, jean87510 said:

If you can tell me how I can text with wifi and in airplane mode, let me know.

You need to set up WiFi calling. Typically that enables both calls and texts over WiFi even if in airplane mode. This may not work for all carrier-phone-OS combinations. You can also use an app, but that typically means both users need to have the same app.

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, crazyank said:

A little inconvenience is fine with me.  Better than having a phone glued to my hand all day.

Definitely agreed!  Also, there are some people that don't have phones, and some that don't have smart phones.  I'm sure they and us will survive!

25 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Definitely agreed!  Also, there are some people that don't have phones, and some that don't have smart phones.  I'm sure they and us will survive!

From reading cruise lines press releases and other articles a smartphone or tablet may be required to be had by someone in a cabin. 

When cruising restarts there are going to be major changes to the cruise experience as a result of the virus. We will adapt or give up cruising. 

Edited by Charles4515

The Royal Caribbean app description in the app store lists features and says this now:

• Chat with family, friends, and fellow travelers (fee applies) 

Should have known they wouldn't give it away like they've been saying for 3 years now.

It will be curious to see if Voom plans buyers will also have to pay the $2 daily charge to text in the app.  That's how the RoyalIQ chat used to work.  

Also curious to see how notifications work.  That's been the stumbling block that delayed implementation.  Perhaps they've refined the application firewall to only expose the ports required to those that have paid the $2 daily fee. That was the loophole that allowed free texting on RoyalIQ ships in the past.

Will the $2 fee unlock iMessage and WhatsApp to land based devices off ship?  Time will tell.

Edited by twangster

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  It's one of the things I like about cruising.  I have no need (or desire) to use a phone while cruising.

I know what you mean, but personally I don't really mind carrying around my phone while on a cruise ship.  I just prefer for that phone to not have any connectivity to the outside world (neither internet nor cell service).  Then I rarely use it, except to help make my vacation experience better.  The "outside world" still doesn't intrude.