Float plane or boat

southernshug

I did the tour that involved that float plane and that experience ranks among my most favorites that I have ever done.  My first float plane trip (and I had to screw up my courage to even book it), but it was exhilarating.  Landing on a lake within the Fjord, standing out on the plane's floats and marveling at the scenic beauty and the total silence:  I don't think that a boat trip into the area would offer the same thing.  

I have taken the boat trip and was not impressed until we entered the Misty Fjords.  The boat must stay a long way from the shoreline of the "wilderness" area through which it is passing until it enters the Misty Fjords so limited photo opportunities.  If I remember correctly, it is 45 minutes of travel each direction.  Bring a book to read.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan/P9220783.jpg

1)    it is mis-spelled Misty Fiords in the Federal Register. You get the quality of gov you pay for.  Misty Fiords, not fyords

2)   there is a fine alaskan tradition of messing with cheechakos. Google Soapy Smith.  There is no boater restriction in Alaskan wilderness. You were taken for a ride.

when will you ever get another chance at a anphip landing'/takeoff?

I did a combination tour.

Did flight and landed and then boarded the boat. I felt sick the entire flight (everyone felt that way on my plane, thankfully none of us got sick). Scenery was more impressive from air but I won't do this one again. Got on the boat and scenery was great at the beginning and then it went to normal Alaska scenery. So had 15 minutes of unique scenery.

For me - won't do the boat or plane again. Oddly - I have flown in small planes before without any issues. Not sure if there was a lot of turbulence that day as we were all feeling uneasy on the plane.

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

Bring a book to read.

If such would be necessary on a tour in Alaska, then one chose the wrong tour in my opinion.  

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Did flight and landed and then boarded the boat

I have seen that option offered.  Did you land on water or on land?  If on water, I would think the transfer from a float plane to a boat could be quite tricky to accomplish unless one was perfectly mobile and had excellent stability.  

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have seen that option offered.  Did you land on water or on land?  If on water, I would think the transfer from a float plane to a boat could be quite tricky to accomplish unless one was perfectly mobile and had excellent stability.  

You land on water at a floating dock:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan/P9220786.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If such would be necessary on a tour in Alaska, then one chose the wrong tour in my opinion.  

We landed on water and it was the best part of the flight 🙂 I don't remember there being any issues transferring to the dock. 

Here is a pic I took:

100_2308.thumb.jpeg.ba0d3dbc0c70757c88b64df62d2985a2.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I highly recommend the Tracy Arm tour out of Juneau. I bring a book on that trip for some time getting there and getting back. No regrets.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I highly recommend the Tracy Arm tour out of Juneau. I bring a book on that trip for some time getting there and getting back. No regrets.

Agree.  Tracy Arm was one of the best 7 hours I have spent on an excursion with harbor seals, glaciers,  eagles, ice flows, whales,and sea lions.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/P6075698-2.jpg

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/P6075931-2.jpg

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/P6096877-2-Edit.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, southernshug said:

Thank you all for ur thoughts and perspectives!!!! I think I might go with the float plane!!!! 🙂

A float plane can cover a lot of scenery quite fast, so you have to keep your camera ready so you don't miss a photo op. Our flight landed us on a high lake also. Major plus! As a previous poster mentioned though, flights are limited by weather. Out of a 365 day calendar year, Alaska gets 475 days of rainfall. If you book the flight and it gets cancelled, it would be good to have a boat that you could fall back on just in case.

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 3:17 PM, southernshug said:

for Misty Fjords in Ketchikan? We will be traveling on HAL mid May and I'm not sure which excursion to do. Anyone have any experience or opinions? I'd appreciate them all!!!!

I vote for the float plane.  The plane ride is gentle and amazing.  It will be an experience you will never forget. 

Regardless, at some point during your cruise get up in the air.  Either by float plane or helicopter.  The views from the air are outstanding. 

• Like 1