Should I make a group booking through HAL or with a travel agent?

seven.seas

I'm planning a multigenerational family cruise in late 2020 (~30 people total). Would you recommend I book directly through HAL's group reservations department, or should I work with a travel agent?

Our family has gone on several HAL cruises before, all booked through a travel agent. I found it frustrating that practically any changes we wanted to make (e.g., changing stateroom assignments) had to go through the travel agent as opposed to contacting HAL directly. At the same time, I'd be curious to learn if agents are able to get preferred pricing relative to HAL's group bookings team.

Thank you, all!

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

A good TA should save you 10-12% off whatever HAL direct would charge.

Just be sure to do your homework before visiting with a TA.  Know what HAL is asking/providing.  And be sure you compare apples to apples - all fees, taxes, and perks.

A big thing to consider is whether your family members will contact the HAL agent directly, or if the agent expects you to coordinate the cabin selection and payment.  When I've done a group booking thru a TA, the group members contacted the TA individually and he/she handled everything.  

• Like 1

I hosted a large group after a convention.  My TA took care of everything including getting passport numbers!  She was able to get most of us on the same corridor, so it was easy to stay in touch.  She also arranged for us to eat together at two tables that were close to each other in the dining room.

• Like 1

I only did a small group reservation with a TA. I found her pricing to be good and she was able to arrange our dining with another small group that used a different TA. I like the personal relationship with a TA I be used because she knows what our preferences are and has been successful every time getting us the table we wanted in a Hal dining room.

That's a large group. If you don't use a TA, you will likely be in the middle of everything that comes up. Questions, making arrangements, making changes, listening to disagreements, trying to make everyone happy. 
With a TA, you can hand off the headaches of planning, and just enjoy the anticipation. 

Besides, with that large a group, there are likely going to be extra bennies thrown in. 

• Like 3

One person needs to be the contact person in your group for whatever needs to be done with regard to your group booking.  Regardless of whether it is with a TA or not.  I recommend a TA--one that is a very experienced cruise agent as well as one who is experienced in handling group bookings.

It's tough being  the sole contact person for a group.  I learned that from a couple of experiences of being in that role for something "simple" like arranging a CC M&G.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

One person needs to be the contact person in your group for whatever needs to be done with regard to your group booking.  Regardless of whether it is with a TA or not.  I recommend a TA--one that is a very experienced cruise agent as well as one who is experienced in handling group bookings.

It's tough being  the sole contact person for a group.  I learned that from a couple of experiences of being in that role for something "simple" like arranging a CC M&G.  

Very good advice!  I once tried doing a trip (not cruise) for a group of 25 and it was quite a mess.  It seems that people have very different ideas on what is wanted.

We almost did a family group cruise to celebrate our 50th Anniversary.  When we realized that one granddaughter would be VERY pregnant then, we changed our plans for a week-long land celebration.

We wish you success and an unforgettable cruise together.

Barbara