Bad for Business?

travisschmittdds

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Israel does this exactly pre-pandemic.  Stopped in Eilat on a small ship and all those deserting the ship had to be on approved tours.  People were randomly selected for "interviews" by local authorities before disembarking for the tour buses.  We were traveling with a retired librarian from California and she was grilled by locals authorities.  The ships also moved across the bay for the next day's visit to Aqaba and Israelis required everyone to be on board before movement.

I've stopped in Israel twice on cruises -- once on a small ship and once on a mass market line.

Yes, they met with everyone onboard the ship and some received more questions than others. (They were not thrilled with me as I had stamps from previous trips to Syria and Lebanon in my passport.)

But once everyone was cleared, they were good to go ashore by whatever means available -- independently, by private tour or by ship tour.

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(They were not thrilled with me as I had stamps from previous trips to Syria and Lebanon in my passport.)

I've talked with some people who travel to Israel and also places like Syria et al who have two passports for that reason. But they're doing that kind of travel for business so IMO that makes total sense. I still have a map of EL Al flights that go 'around' Israel rather than over it.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I've talked with some people who travel to Israel and also places like Syria et al who have two passports for that reason. But they're doing that kind of travel for business so IMO that makes total sense. I still have a map of EL Al flights that go 'around' Israel rather than over it.

I've thought about that. Particularly when I was doing more travel for work than I am now. (And by "now" I mean pre-COVID....)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Are you really sure about this?  I understand the security interviews and I have no first hand experience, but looking on line suggests that passengers are free to move about on their own after clearing security.

Here is an old thread on the subject: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k7261390-Ashdod_Security_for_Cruise_Passengers-Israel.html

"Whilst we chose to do the tour the cruise organised there was nothing to stop others doing their own thing - a private tour or visiting family etc."

I really can't see why entering by cruise ship would be different than entering via another approved entry such as at the airport.  

We moored at Eilat.  Haifa may be different.  Israeli's were very paranoid while the Jordanians were very welcoming and friendly.

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, they met with everyone onboard the ship and some received more questions than others. (They were not thrilled with me as I had stamps from previous trips to Syria and Lebanon in my passport.)

The Israelis are very security conscious as I think we all know.  It wouldn't be a surprise that entries into countries that are in a state of war against Israel might raise their suspicions. 

18 hours ago, clo said:

I've talked with some people who travel to Israel and also places like Syria et al who have two passports for that reason...

This is mainly done as some of the middle eastern countries bar entry to anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport.  Israel, however, does not exclude visitors based on passport stamps.

See here for more information on the subject:

https://www.highheelsandabackpack.com/understanding-the-israeli-passport-stamp-restrictions/

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

...Israeli's were very paranoid while the Jordanians were very welcoming and friendly.

I would say cautious rather than paranoid.

1 minute ago, SelectSys said:

This is mainly done as some of the middle eastern countries bar entry to anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport.  Israel, however, does not exclude visitors based on passport stamps.

I don't know how it is now but when we were there a few years ago Israel didn't put a stamp in one's passport. It was simply a loose, passport size piece of paper.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I don't know how it is now but when we were there a few years ago Israel didn't put a stamp in one's passport. It was simply a loose, passport size piece of paper.

Were just in Israel on the NCL Spirit in March.   Yes, no stamp (Just a removable paper attesting to your permission to enter) The Israelis' came aboard the night before we docked, and had their little "one on one" chats with everyone.   After docking,  we were all off the ship in less than an hour.   From there we went to Egypt.   Tourists from Israel everywhere...   Great trip (As long as you did not mind being chased from port to port by COVID.....)