Cruise parking v overnight stay

L751

On 1/3/2021 at 11:18 PM, wowzz said:

I've always found it strange that some people (not on here obvs) will spend thousands of pounds on a holiday, but will then try and save a few pounds by parking with some cowboy operator, or use a taxi which just adds complexity.

Each to their own, but as John has said,  off the ship,  into the car and off! 

We only live an hour from Southampton, but often stay a couple days in the New Forest before our cruise. We park at the docks as it's less distance for DW to carry the bags when we get back.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

We're on the Iona Christmas Markets cruise on Saturday 11 December. We're driving down from Liverpool the day before the cruise and staying over in Winchester before carrying on to Southampton on the morning of the cruise. Can someone advise me of the best carpark booking site for the 7 days of the cruise? We want to park securely at the docks and walk to the ship, we don't want any parking that involves leaving your keys for them to move your car as we've had a couple of bad experiences with that. I've had a quick look but I'm unsure of which option to use.

I do not know of any parking at the docks where you can actually park your own car, keep your keys and walk to the ship. The main ones which are CPS or Parking4Cruises and both they take your keys after you have left your car and park it away from the terminal and return it prior to you disembarking.

41 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I do not know of any parking at the docks where you can actually park your own car, keep your keys and walk to the ship. The main ones which are CPS or Parking4Cruises and both they take your keys after you have left your car and park it away from the terminal and return it prior to you disembarking.

I think you are correct. If you don't want your car moved, you'll need to use one of the off port car parks.

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think you are correct. If you don't want your car moved, you'll need to use one of the off port car parks.

I believe there are some that operate a shuttle or taxi service to and from the port, but like you wozz I feel they just add unnecessary time, especially on disembarkation.  Some people don't like offsite valet parking because of all the horror stories about where your car can end up, however I think both CPS and P4C are sufficiently reputable that I have no issues letting them take the car to their offsite park. 

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe there are some that operate a shuttle or taxi service to and from the port, but like you wozz I feel they just add unnecessary time, especially on disembarkation.  Some people don't like offsite valet parking because of all the horror stories about where your car can end up, however I think both CPS and P4C are sufficiently reputable that I have no issues letting them take the car to their offsite park. 

Totally agree - unless you have an extra special car, I can't see why people worry about valet parking, as long as it is with reputable companies. 

• Like 1

I generally travel down to Southampton the day before and stay at the Airport Premier Inn overnight. I usually take the inclusive parking with CPS and always found them to be excellent. On the one occasion that parking wasn't included, I used Penguin Parking, but would never do so again.

6 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

All very useful thanks.  We've had the parking as part of the cruise price the last couple of times but for the next Southampton cruise the select price is £800 more expensive for the both of us and so will have to arrange our own.

You can book direct with CPS or P4C just compare prices on their websites and both are virtually the same but they will take your car away and park away from Terminal. There is a small car park near to Ocean Terminal where you can park yourself  and walk to Ocean Terminal and keep your keys but problems are if you are not leaving or disembarking from there it can be a problem getting a taxi from i.e. Mayflower terminal. The other worry for me is the most important is the car park is open and has no security.

Edited by majortom10

We don’t even think of the car when we’re on a cruise. If something happens to it, then so be it. A nuisance but not a big problem. Don’t really care if there are a few more scratches either - there are plenty there already! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Fortunately we all have differing views on our cars on age and value and some are more concerned of a safe and secure area for our vehicles when on a cruise and whether it gets damaged or not.

True enough. No point worrying about scratches and bumps on small narrow country roads so that’s why it doesn’t bother us. We only give our cars a wash when we go to a wedding or funeral so even though they’re never more than 5 years old, they don’t look very appealing to potential thieves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

True enough. No point worrying about scratches and bumps on small narrow country roads so that’s why it doesn’t bother us. We only give our cars a wash when we go to a wedding or funeral so even though they’re never more than 5 years old, they don’t look very appealing to potential thieves. 

I'm with you on this one. A car is just a means of getting about - no more no less. Who cares about the odd bump or scratch  - life is too short ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Your car could end up in a farmers field,or a suburban street.

I agree that us possible with cowboy operators but not if you use a reputable company, and in the case of airports, book through the official airport web site. 

And, if the price looks cheap, avoid !  

On 1/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, majortom10 said:

Premier Inn West Quay is very convenient but the only thing that worries me and is the main reason why I never stay there is that there is no parking you have to pay to park at the public multi storey car park and worry about security and safety of my car. We use Holiday Inn Express just off M271 and is only a short drive to the port.

We stayed there (West Quay) and the parking is in the car park right next door. It felt very safe as it was locked up at 10 or 11pm. Really reasonable for 24 hours parking, something like 5-7 pounds!

Edited by P&O SUE

19 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I’m intrigued. What sort of bad experiences have people had?

Last time we used parking4cruises when we collected the car the drivers seat was wet because the valet driver left the window open by mistake but it was not the end of the world and wouldn't put us off booking with them again, every other aspect of their service was good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

We stayed there (West Quay) and the parking is in the car park right next door. It felt very safe as it was locked up at 10 or 11pm. Really reasonable for 24 hours parking, something like 5-7 pounds!

I agree, we found it very convenient and safe, I'm sure they have cctv for security.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicki-k said:

I agree, we found it very convenient and safe, I'm sure they have cctv for security.

I still prefer the city centre PI, where you park right by the entrance to the hotel. A maximum of 10 metres from the car to the hotel lobby.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:26 AM, Ardennais said:

Oh I see. I can understand the perils of a suburban street, but what’s wrong with a farmer’s field??! Safest place ever.

I went camping once and parked in a farmer's field.  In the morning I found cows licking the car with their raspy tongues removing paint.

Regards John