Europe for First Timers

SCGirl3211

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Regarding La Spezia -- Celebrity rather disingenuously lists it as the port for Florence and Pisa, but there could hardly be a worse choice. Even Livorno is closer. 

La Spezia is much closer to the Cinque Terre ("Five Lands"); five villages linked by paths that sit on the coast and have a lot of character. They make an excellent place to visit if you don't want to make the LONG trek to Florence for the day.

The problem with the Cinque Terre is that they are absolutely overrun with tourists in the summer months. I don't just mean crowded, I mean to the point of being dangerous. Like Venice, the locals are trying to figure out ways to limit the influx of people on any given day because you end up being elbow to elbow like sardines. 

Anyway, I think you get the idea about carefully planning what to do from each port by looking at maps and keeping distances in mind.

Unlike some, I have done 10 Med cruises in as many years (and have another BTB on Constellation in Sept/Oct of this year, if it goes...), so I have visited most of the major ports numerous times. I can tell you there is a huge difference in both crowds and weather going in the shoulder seasons of spring or fall. I would opt 10 times out of 10 for a cruise in April or October (or even November).  The risk of a rainy day is one I will take over being smothered with tourists in the Vatican museum or standing amongst thousands of others in the hot sun waiting on lines to visit the key buildings in Pompeii. The heat coming off those ancient stones is deadly.

You are SO right about going in shoulder months in possible.  We did a land trip all over Italy in late Feb/early March 2019, had fantastic weather, low to mid 60's and sunny just about every day.  Of course in Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast etc there will always be people, but absolutely nothing like the summer months, was totally enjoyable as we did not encounter waits or crowds anywhere we went.

I would strongly recommend a cruise departing from Venice. Quite spectacular. Venice tends to be crowded in the summer and hot. You need a couple of nights at least and don’t even think about eating in St Marks Square. Get out into the little campos and find a local restaurant. We took a train from Venice to Lake Garda and loved it so much we have been back several times for hotel stays. If you have any time to spare pre-cruise it is well worth the train journey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

You are SO right about going in shoulder months in possible.  We did a land trip all over Italy in late Feb/early March 2019, had fantastic weather, low to mid 60's and sunny just about every day.  Of course in Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast etc there will always be people, but absolutely nothing like the summer months, was totally enjoyable as we did not encounter waits or crowds anywhere we went.

My favorite time to visit Naples/Amalfi Coast area is actually February or March -- I have spent two weeks in Naples, 10 days in Sorrento and 8 days in Pompei (the actual city, in a hotel just across from the entrance to the ruins) -- on separate land visits. I am not a "sit in a sun lounge" kind of person, but for me, an active sightseer, the weather was perfect. And in Pompeii -- no crowds.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gold1953 said:

So here is one bit of advice..   get fit!   Those ports are all hills. We live in a city of hills and walk them daily but we have discovered that most folks don't and we saw a lot of people struggling to walk around these ports.. really struggling!   

. It was amazing to spend a week pre cruise in Rome

Yes! In our four pre-cruise days in Rome, we averaged about 15,000 steps per day. We had such a great time walking around the city, seeing things we wouldn't have seen from a tour van (though we did a bit of that, as well). Bonus: doing all that walking meant that we got to really enjoy the food and wine guilt-free. I boarded the ship nearly two pounds lighter than I was when I'd left home. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Oh how exciting!! We spent countless hours blissfully researching our first Med cruise!  If you enjoy travel research, I’d recommend booking the cruise and airfare through a travel agent and then doing the shore excursion and Europe travel research on your own, while using the TA as a sounding board. If you don’t have time or desire to research a lot, then go all in with a TA to get the most out of your one and done Europe trip and to ensure you’re wise and safe throughout the trip. 

Ranking:

1) Ports- the reason you’re going 

2) Number of days- the longer you can do, the better because you’re flying all that way and want to see as much as possible 

3) Time of year- Are you restricted to certain times due to work? Do you want it hot, warm, cool, or cold? How do you feel about crowds?
4) Ship- For Europe, the ship is really lowest priority because you spend most of your time ashore and are zonked when you go back onboard each day. 

Happy planning!! I miss Europe so much!

On 1/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, SCGirl3211 said:

We have been on many cruises but are planning our first cruise to Europe.  Have a few questions: Please rank in importance - ship, ports, number of days, time of year.  If paper guides are still used, anyone have a recommendation for a good travel guide?  Should we consider using a travel agent for our first venture or do you tend to learn more about what you are going to see by doing the research on your own?  This may be a one-time trip so we want to get it right.  Thanks

I really like cruisequeen's response, but I have something to add.

If you haven't been to Europe before, you should do a lot of research on the places that you want to see.

1) Cruising is wonderful and great for short one day visits at ports.  However, some of the best places to visit in Europe (Rome, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona and more need more days to take in the full measure of the city.   All those days deserve a week, but you can see a lot in 4-5 days.  For that reason, taking a cruise for your first trip may not be the best option.

2) If you pick a cruise that stops at a port some distance from a major city like Paris or Berlin, don't take those long day trips that give you only four hours in those cities.  You waste a lot of time traveling.

3) Not sure how many days  you will have in Europe.  If you have the option to stay a while and are still planning a cruise, plan on coming early and spending some days exploring on your own.  For example, if you take a cruise out of Southampton, England, plan on 3-4 days in London.

4) Even if you use a travel agent, find your own shore tours instead of the ship's expensive excursions.  Still, make sure the cruise line doesn't require you to take their excursions due to COVID-19.

5) Plan on arriving one day prior to your cruise at a minimum to recover from jet lag and be sure not to miss your embarkation.

6) Pick your cruise most of all for the places that you want to see the most.   British Isles cruises are great if you want to see the UK and Ireland.  Med cruises are great for those ports.  Venice is amazing and the Greek Islands are special.  There are cruises that go to Israel and Egypt as well.

If you pick a cruise that stops at a port some distance from a major city like Paris or Berlin, don't take those long day trips that give you only four hours in those cities.  You waste a lot of time traveling.

Can't agree about Berlin.  We docked in Wanemunde and traveled to Berlin via a private tour in a comfortable Mercedes van.  We had about 6 hours in Berlin.  Saw many sights including comparing present day architecture to Hitler times, visiting Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.  Especially poignant was the Berlin Holocaust Memorial.  We also had time for  lunch in a biergarten.

Likely the first and only visit to Berlin.  Your tour is what you make it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

If you pick a cruise that stops at a port some distance from a major city like Paris or Berlin, don't take those long day trips that give you only four hours in those cities.  You waste a lot of time traveling.

Can't agree about Berlin.  We docked in Wanemunde and traveled to Berlin via a private tour in a comfortable Mercedes van.  We had about 6 hours in Berlin.  Saw many sights including comparing present day architecture to Hitler times, visiting Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.  Especially poignant was the Berlin Holocaust Memorial.  We also had time for  lunch in a biergarten.

Likely the first and only visit to Berlin.  Your tour is what you make it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but Berlin is huge. You could spend 6 hours in the Tiergarten alone. I've spent days there and barely scratched the surface. It's a city I'd love to return to, but only by land, and to also visit the surrounding areas, like Wannsee and Potsdam, again. It was the early 90's when we were last in Potsdam, not long after the wall fell, but you could still see .50 cal unpatched holes in buildings. And we could walk through the Brandenburg Gate, something I never thought I'd do. A bus tour to Berlin from the coast just doesn't allow time to see or experience the city, and would have driven me crazy.

I don't know what I'd do if it was the only time I expected to be there, but for me personally, a long bus ride for 6 hours in the city would have been one of the most frustrating visits to a city ever. As they say, your mileage may vary, but if someone picks that cruise and that stop specifically to visit Berlin, they need to understand how little of the city they're going to see, and how little of it they're going to experience.

18 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Yes! In our four pre-cruise days in Rome, we averaged about 15,000 steps per day. We had such a great time walking around the city, seeing things we wouldn't have seen from a tour van (though we did a bit of that, as well). Bonus: doing all that walking meant that we got to really enjoy the food and wine guilt-free. I boarded the ship nearly two pounds lighter than I was when I'd left home. 

we lost weight as well and walked everywhere.. no wheels in the week. One day we got lost and clocked over 30,000 steps. Locals are not good with directions. The answer was always the same.. " you can't walk there" and since they don't seem to walk as far as we do they couldn't help

On 1/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Going to Europe the first time is a choice that will vary for almost everyone.  The biggest variable is time.  If you have time and it is a one time trip then Definately spend time there before or after your cruise.  Port visits offer a teeny tiny taste of cities and many such as Paris or London only allow a few hours as a port call.  Also everyone has different interests 

DW and I usually do a TA and Then rent a car for 3 weeks.  Fly to another city and tour another area for another 3 weeks. 

We self drive but most would do fine fine booking a tour or tours.  

Calling "London" a port call is especially a shame.  You dock at Southampton, and it will take you 3 hours round trip to get there and back, let alone time to travel within the city.  If you want to see London, definitely make it a starting/ending port or better still make it a small trip of its own at the beginning or end of your cruise.

We stayed a few days in London prior to sailing out of Southampton.  Make sure you leave plenty of time, like at least 3 hours one way even, to transfer from London to Port on embarkation day.  We were picked up about 9:00 am even. The day we travelled there was some traffic issue on the highway, totally stopped.  So our driver took the "scenic route" through small towns to bypass that.  Lovely side trip, but if he had not done that, who knows.