Viking Ocean Updates

CILCIANRQTS

I do note how they have cruises set to sail in April 2021 including the one we are on from Venice to Istanbul.  Given the huge increase in cases particularly in the US and UK, I'm in California where numbers are off the chart!, I cannot see cruises starting up prior to July 1 at the earliest.  I think it is optimistic to think that we can get 40% of the population of North America and Europe prior to July 1.  I am only 58 and healthy and I am retired/consultant remotely which places me in a category low on the list for the vaccine.

• Like 1

I had been optimistic that maybe by summer 2021 things would be better but the current surge coupled with the disastrous rollout of vaccines here (in the US at least ) I would be shocked if there will be any cruising this year period! 

• Like 1

Arnold Donald was on CNBC a short while ago (While he is the CEO of Carnival, his thoughts are worth hearing). He stated that they hope to resume cruising by the end of this year. In addition, he stated that no decision had been made regarding the requirement of vaccinations for passengers.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/01/11/we-have-robust-pent-up-demand-for-cruises-says-carnival-corp-ceo.html

On a more general note, lines have been selling off ships. Carnival has shed more than a dozen, Viking has transferred one (so far).

The cash burn is reduced as ships leave the fleet. And cash may be increased, both of which are good things. But the range of future destinations may be reduced until ships that have been ordered come into service.

Has anyone noticed that Viking has put "SOLD OUT" on all 2021 Alaska Cruises, this happened last week and it was not that way the week before.  This also include the transpacific cruises to or From Asia.  Not sure what it means (other than possible future cruise cancellations),  but I am not feeling good about it.  For one all the cruises are 10 days which is not in accordance to CDC guidance,  and Two, I haven't heard of any Viking Ships going through Test Sailings or scheduled for them. I think I will be moving my cruise to 2022 while I can. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EN_L2Cruise said:

Has anyone noticed that Viking has put "SOLD OUT" on all 2021 Alaska Cruises, this happened last week and it was not that way the week before.  This also include the transpacific cruises to or From Asia.  Not sure what it means (other than possible future cruise cancellations),  but I am not feeling good about it.  For one all the cruises are 10 days which is not in accordance to CDC guidance,  and Two, I haven't heard of any Viking Ships going through Test Sailings or scheduled for them. I think I will be moving my cruise to 2022 while I can. 

In addition to the CDC restriction of 7-days, they also have the issue of Canadian ports being closed to cruise ships and the quarantine requirement in BC.

Neither is these is expected to change in the short term. In BC, we are again managing to flatten the curve and have daily infections trending down. At present, our Premier is trying to restrict inter-Provincial travel from other Provinces with higher infection levels, therefore, I cannot envisage he will accept the opening of the Canada/US Border anytime soon.

It is becoming increasingly unlikely that we will see an Alaska season in 2021, as the ships must start repositioning in a couple of months. While other cruise lines are still accepting bookings for Alaska 2021, I suggest this is another example where Viking is leading the industry, as they have no doubt already determined that Alaska 2021 is most likely a no go.

As Orion is currently in Europe, at an economical speed, it will take about a month to reach Vancouver and it will require a couple of weeks re-storing and crew training.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:32 AM, Jjg34219 said:

I had been optimistic that maybe by summer 2021 things would be better but the current surge coupled with the disastrous rollout of vaccines here (in the US at least ) I would be shocked if there will be any cruising this year period! 

Agree....I think you may well be right. Vaccine rollout is going to be like snail mail (which is far more snail-like than ever before...). 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, EN_L2Cruise said:

With the increasing likelyhood that Alaska 2021 may not happen and that word from aboard Viking Sun has them bound for China, I suspect that the Orion may be replacing the Sun's schedule.

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

With the increasing likelyhood that Alaska 2021 may not happen and that word from aboard Viking Sun has them bound for China, I suspect that the Orion may be replacing the Sun's schedule.

Yes, those pesky Canadians and their rules.  Free the ports! and Free Willy!🍺

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked on Viking Star,Into the Midnight Sun for June. But after our struggles to get the vaccine, the reports on vaccine shortages in Europe and all the other issues with traveling to and from Europe in COVID times we decided this week to move our Viking cruise, and 2 other trips to Europe, to 2022. We are fortunate that all tree companies we have booked with have been understanding and flexible. 
We will have our first vaccinations next week thanks to some additional  shipment  of vaccines to TEXAS and to our county. (For some reason TEXAS was found out to be 49th  per capita in vaccine doses shipped. I think the General originally handling distribution has questionable math skill.) We hope that future supplies will enable us to also get our second shot in a timely manner.