Hotel Red Hook

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

is it that bad???????

For some reason hotels and motels were never in the good areas of Brooklyn.There is one hotel,very expensive south of the Brooklyn Bridge and another in an area called Bay Ridge but it is very far from Manhattan.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

George C;  what you say, is the reason I am staying in lower Manhattan;  no desire to head up north to Times Square.  

I worked in that area in the 1970’s was really surprised on all the pubs and restaurants that have been added on a couple on trips in recent years. We prefer midtown but we are always there for several days before or after cruise or both. Enjoyed having some drinks in the very historic Fraunces tavern and showing my wife trinity church cemetery where Alexander Hamilton is buried. Also had a great lunch in Delmonicos .

On 2/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, AF-1 said:

Lenny,  what about the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott?  On side note;  I was thinking of staying in financial district and then take the ferry over to Red Hook on departure day.  

The Brooklyn Bridge Marriot is supposed to be a wonderful hotel.

There are very good restaurants in walking distance.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:59 AM, George C said:

I worked in that area in the 1970’s was really surprised on all the pubs and restaurants that have been added on a couple on trips in recent years. We prefer midtown but we are always there for several days before or after cruise or both. Enjoyed having some drinks in the very historic Fraunces tavern and showing my wife trinity church cemetery where Alexander Hamilton is buried. Also had a great lunch in Delmonicos .

Fraunces Tavern is strictly for tourists who are not interested in quality of food.There are many restaurants nearby that have better food.

Have you ever dined in One If By Land ?

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Fraunces Tavern is strictly for tourists who are not interested in quality of food.There are many restaurants nearby that have better food.

Have you ever dined in One If By Land ?

No , I know they have added lots of high end restaurants since I worked in the area, we totally loved Delmonico on a recent visit . There is a little restaurant row filled with pubs a block or two from Fraunces tavern,  I worked across the street from there for years but never had dinner there nice place for a drink.

1 minute ago, George C said:

No , I know they have added lots of high end restaurants since I worked in the area, we totally loved Delmonico on a recent visit . There is a little restaurant row filled with pubs a block or two from Fraunces tavern,  I worked across the street from there for years but never had dinner there nice place for a drink.

I worked on Maiden Lane in 1968.There were always very good restaurants,primarily seafood in that area.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I worked on Maiden Lane in 1968.There were always very good restaurants,primarily seafood in that area.

I worked a few blocks away in 1968 I worked was a computer operator for US Lines at 1 Broadway then worked at 2 broadway for a brokerage company also with computers. Back then it was a business district now they also have apartments in area.  

2 hours ago, George C said:

I worked a few blocks away in 1968 I worked was a computer operator for US Lines at 1 Broadway then worked at 2 broadway for a brokerage company also with computers. Back then it was a business district now they also have apartments in area.  

My wife worked on William St.at the time which made it very convenient to stay in Manhattan on Friday nights.

2 hours ago, George C said:

In those days my bar of preference was McSorley’s Ale House.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In those days my bar of preference was McSorley’s Ale House.

I went to McSorley’s in 1968 when I was 18 , it was not downtown, in the village very close to the then Fillmore east, went to some. Great concerts there , that closed about 50 years ago. Last trip to McSoley was a couple of years ago. And there was a line waiting to get in, we didn’t wait. 

5 hours ago, George C said:

I went to McSorley’s in 1968 when I was 18 , it was not downtown, in the village very close to the then Fillmore east, went to some. Great concerts there , that closed about 50 years ago. Last trip to McSoley was a couple of years ago. And there was a line waiting to get in, we didn’t wait. 

You were 18 in 1968 ? On another thread you said you graduated HS in 1966.Did you graduate at 16 ?

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You were 18 in 1968 ? On another thread you said you graduated HS in 1966.Did you graduate at 16 ?

I graduated in 1966 and turned 17 same month , I think I was still 16 since my birthday is end of June. 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I graduated in 1966 and turned 17 same month , I think I was still 16 since my birthday is end of June. 

McSorley’s became a place for tourists .It was not the same as when I hung out there in the 60’s. I went to the Fillmore East many times .I began hanging out in the village in 1962 and went to many of the clubs there.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

McSorley’s became a place for tourists .It was not the same as when I hung out there in the 60’s. I went to the Fillmore East many times .I began hanging out in the village in 1962 and went to many of the clubs there.

For anyone visiting New York McSorley’s is a interesting place a hundred plus year old ale house with saw dust on the floor, in Greenwich village, for some odd reason it didn’t allow women, only bar I have ever heard of that did that. I found it extremely strange when I was in the army in Germany in 1970 there was a article in the army newspaper Stars and Stripes about woman protesting to get in got a court order and we’re finally allowed in, again this is just a small little neighborhood type bar. That area has some great old bars and restaurants.

1 hour ago, George C said:

For anyone visiting New York McSorley’s is a interesting place a hundred plus year old ale house with saw dust on the floor, in Greenwich village, for some odd reason it didn’t allow women, only bar I have ever heard of that did that. I found it extremely strange when I was in the army in Germany in 1970 there was a article in the army newspaper Stars and Stripes about woman protesting to get in got a court order and we’re finally allowed in, again this is just a small little neighborhood type bar. That area has some great old bars and restaurants.

I remember that it did not allow women in there.I cannot recall why.