Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

34 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My dad has just called P&O and was told our 19th June cruise isn't showing up because its full, hmm along with every other cruise before 24th June? So the person on the phone has either told him what she's been told to say or they have stopped taking bookings until they have more details and protocols sorted etc?  

Perhaps cruises before 24th June are now full because they have reduced the ‘full’ number to the current level of bookings to assist social distancing. It is likely that the first cruises to restart will have a reduced capacity, this may be their way of doing it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Another point of view is the "book it knowing it will be cancelled" there by getting 125% FCC.

The above is not my beliefs just an alternative view. 

I think the days of 125% FCC may have gone! In the latest cancellations, Princess announced yesterday they are only offering 110% FCC.

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I think the days of 125% FCC may have gone! In the latest cancellations, Princess announced yesterday they are only offering 110% FCC.

Fred Olsen's most recent tranche of cancellations (to end June) attracted a 110% FCC with an additional 5% if your monies had been held by them for 24 months before departure. Previously it had been 25%.

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

19 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Fred Olsen's most recent tranche of cancellations (to end June) attracted a 110% FCC with an additional 5% if your monies had been held by them for 24 months before departure. Previously it had been 25%.

In both cases it is more than 100% and more than leaving it in the bank.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although if future cruise prices go up by over the amount of FCC,  you are out of pocket. 

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

You would be more out of pocket paying for the same cruise with your own money

That is how I would look at it. Even if the cruise went up by 30% you have 25, 10 or 5% (or whatever amount)  towards that increase.

The problem comes if you never intend to cruise again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is how I would look at it. Even if the cruise went up by 30% you have 25, 10 or 5% (or whatever amount)  towards that increase.

The problem comes if you never intend to cruise again.

That was my point, but badly put! 

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If the cruise line has held your money for a period of time, unless you want to cruise again with that specific line, and pay the newly inflated prices, you will just get your money back with no interest at all.

No one ever said investment was without risk. 🤣

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Paying for anything is an investment of sorts. The question is, is it a wise investment and will you get a return on your capital. 😉

I just hope that Aurora is still around next August to make sure my 'investment' pays off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If you get 125% FCC you would still be 25% better off than someone who paid for the same future cruise with their own money. 

27 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Paying for anything is an investment of sorts. The question is, is it a wise investment and will you get a return on your capital. 😉

They don't return to the capital I am afraid would be a lot easier for me, we have to get back from Southampton

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you get 125% FCC you would still be 25% better off than someone who paid for the same future cruise with their own money. 

That's true, but you are tied not only to a future cruise,  but also to that specific  cruise line.

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's true, but you are tied not only to a future cruise,  but also to that specific  cruise line.

Yes but that is not an issue for us as we will cruise with P&O again. As we haven't used our FCC we can still take the refund if we needed it but obviously at the original 100%. So I still see it as better than money in the bank.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Is anyone getting a worthwhile interest rate for short term savings?

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Is anyone getting a worthwhile interest rate for short term savings?

I pop £2880 into one of my wife’s pension funds once a year, which gives an immediate 20% return (£576), and we draw it out over following few months, keeping below the Personal Allowance so that its tax free. A tip from my Financial Advisor (or Wealth Manager as they are now ostentatiously called). 

Edit - if you are wondering why £2880, that’s the most you can invest and get tax relief when you are no longer contributing as part of an employer pension scheme and drawing out funds. 

Edited by Selbourne

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I pop £2880 into one of my wife’s pension funds once a year, which gives an immediate 20% return (£576), and we draw it out over following few months, keeping below the Personal Allowance so that its tax free. A tip from my Financial Advisor (or Wealth Manager as they are now ostentatiously called). 

Edit - if you are wondering why £2880, that’s the most you can invest and get tax relief when you are no longer contributing as part of an employer pension scheme. 

I do the lottery!😄

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yorkshire building society have a new saver account 3.5%, save up to £500/month for 12 months. For existing customers.

HSBC has one at 5%, but as it's a regular saver scheme the interest is only on the current balance. However I thought the monthly max saving was £250 loom.