Question re European sailings

Royal now has cancelled sailings through the end of April including Europe.  MSC and Aida sailed for months in Europe before cancelling sailings due to the outbreak but plans to restart sailings later this month and February.

Why can't RCL restart sailings in Europe even if Americans aren't allowed in the EU?  I would think enough Europeans would want to sail on the Odyssey.

4 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Oops posted in the wrong place.  However, I have the same question re Norwegian.

Why arent they trying one ship in Europe?

NCL`s market share in the UK is quite notable.Their market share in all other countries is only marginal.And especially in the current situation when cruises are operated under special conditions most people will rather stick to the cruise lines they know.Nobody will try out a new cruise line for the first time in covid-times. SO there is simply not enough demand for it. Even the in europe well-known cruise lines such as AIDA,TUI and Costa or MSC sailed at 20-35% of the capacity. I guess that it RCCL or NCL would try it they would sail at 10-15% of the capacity. It would be nothing else than burning money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

NCL`s market share in the UK is quite notable.Their market share in all other countries is only marginal.And especially in the current situation when cruises are operated under special conditions most people will rather stick to the cruise lines they know.Nobody will try out a new cruise line for the first time in covid-times. SO there is simply not enough demand for it. Even the in europe well-known cruise lines such as AIDA,TUI and Costa or MSC sailed at 20-35% of the capacity. I guess that it RCCL or NCL would try it they would sail at 10-15% of the capacity. It would be nothing else than burning money.

I did not know that.  I sailed on the Epic in the Mediterranean back in August 2015 and it seemed to me that the overwhelming majority of the passengers were European.  In fact, many of the shows were presented in Spanish and separately in English.

11 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I did not know that.  I sailed on the Epic in the Mediterranean back in August 2015 and it seemed to me that the overwhelming majority of the passengers were European.  In fact, many of the shows were presented in Spanish and separately in English.

I was on Epic November 2018 and there were a lot of Europeans but the shows were only offered in English

19 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Royal now has cancelled sailings through the end of April including Europe.  MSC and Aida sailed for months in Europe before cancelling sailings due to the outbreak but plans to restart sailings later this month and February.

Why can't RCL restart sailings in Europe even if Americans aren't allowed in the EU?  I would think enough Europeans would want to sail on the Odyssey.

As a European I can assure you that we do NOT want many cruiselines to visit our cities with passengers from "all-over" - even if they are all of European nationality. In most countries in EU the covid-19 numbers are rising to new "highs" almost day-by-day in January 2021. So this is NOT the time for majority of cruiselines to restart their European sailings - they would be denied in MOST ports anyway, maybe only allowed to do "domestic cruises" all within ONE country and with passengers ONLY from that country...

• Like 2

I’m booked for September 2021 from Barcelona, I haven’t booked the hotel or airfare, I think Covid-19 will still be around Europe, and countries will be reluctant to allow thousands of passengers roaming around their towns and cities. Remember NCL isn’t the only ship in port, Monaco has a 19.00 curfew at present ? Who knows 

Covid vaccinations are going to have to seriously pick up the pace if we are to see cruising any time soon.  I saw today's data saying that the US needs to be injecting 1.9 million persons a day, day after day, everyday, between now and the end of May, to reach a level where the virus is becoming controlled by summer.  Don't know what our average is at the moment, but not even close to that.  I'm afraid that each month we will see yet another cruise lines 'cancellation announcement moving possible cruises further and further up the road.  I want to go cruising!   But I want to do it like before.  My wishful thinking is only disappointing me.    Darn!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The Epic is outstanding in this regards. It is promoted and advertized quite intense in Europe.So depending on the season it is possible that up to 50% of the passengers are european, mostly from Spain and UK. But on all the other ships,especially the smaller ones with the non-standard iteneraries the amount of european guests(except UK) on board is very low.

And due to the Brexit-stuff one of the biggest cruise markets in Europe for NCL is gone or at least uncertain.At the moment many regulations regarding the travel document requirements for visits to the UK or for visitors from the UK to the EU are not finished and still under discussion.

So apart from the epic this would be a complete waste of time and money for NCL.

I really would like to see it and i would for sure be one of the first to book, but unfortunately it won`t happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

The Epic is outstanding in this regards. It is promoted and advertized quite intense in Europe.So depending on the season it is possible that up to 50% of the passengers are european, mostly from Spain and UK. But on all the other ships,especially the smaller ones with the non-standard iteneraries the amount of european guests(except UK) on board is very low.

And due to the Brexit-stuff one of the biggest cruise markets in Europe for NCL is gone or at least uncertain.At the moment many regulations regarding the travel document requirements for visits to the UK or for visitors from the UK to the EU are not finished and still under discussion.

So apart from the epic this would be a complete waste of time and money for NCL.

I really would like to see it and i would for sure be one of the first to book, but unfortunately it won`t happen.

What a ridiculous comment, all the travel regulations are finalised and nothing is gone or uncertain.

If you are uncertain you probably need to do some research before posting nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

What a ridiculous comment, all the travel regulations are finalised and nothing is gone or uncertain.

If you are uncertain you probably need to do some research before posting nonsense.

You may be correct but you don't have to show your arse about it.

When visiting or speaking to people from other countries and cultures,,,,, always, always, always remember that you are a diplomate and representing your country and culture.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

When visiting or speaking to people from other countries and cultures,,,,, always, always, always remember that you are a diplomate and representing your country and culture.

Right back buddy, I did not use vulgar language...disgrace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Trimone said:

I’m booked for September 2021 from Barcelona, I haven’t booked the hotel or airfare, I think Covid-19 will still be around Europe, and countries will be reluctant to allow thousands of passengers roaming around their towns and cities. Remember NCL isn’t the only ship in port, Monaco has a 19.00 curfew at present ? Who knows 

We're also booked in September 2021 from Barcelona. We booked the NCL BOGO air promo so the airfare price is included in what we're paying to NCL and our flights have not yet been assigned. I also reserved our pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona, but it's cancelable. I just wanted to have my choice of hotels instead of waiting until closer to the cruise and have to settle for what's left. There are 8 of us going (four cabins, four hotel rooms) so my options might have been fewer waiting until closer to the time. Our final payment is due in late May and I've decided that if sailings have resumed worldwide by then and things are going well, I'll make final payment. If not, I'll cancel and get a refund of my deposit. I see no reason to give them a more than $5000 final payment if the writing is on the wall that our sailing will not be going. And any extra incentive to pay and get OBC or an extra cruise credit if they cancel after final payment is of no interest to me.  

8 hours ago, roger001 said:

Covid vaccinations are going to have to seriously pick up the pace if we are to see cruising any time soon.  I saw today's data saying that the US needs to be injecting 1.9 million persons a day, day after day, everyday, between now and the end of May, to reach a level where the virus is becoming controlled by summer.  Don't know what our average is at the moment, but not even close to that.  I'm afraid that each month we will see yet another cruise lines 'cancellation announcement moving possible cruises further and further up the road.  I want to go cruising!   But I want to do it like before.  My wishful thinking is only disappointing me.    Darn!

I agree! Vaccinations are going pretty slowly right now. I'm ready to get mine, but I think I'll be toward the last group. So here I sit, unvaccinated, waiting and willing while other people in prior groups may not want it. I have a final payment due prior to summer and if the slow vaccinations are playing into future cancelations and uncertainty, I'll be canceling and getting a refund of my deposit instead of making the final payment. 

Europeans, especially the non-English speaking passengers, seem to love the local brands (Costa/MSC in Italy, AIDA/TUI in Germany) more than the American cruise lines such as Norwegian or Royal Caribbean.

I believe Norwegian and Royal Caribbean also have had much research on this, and get the conclusion that it is not profitable to deploy a ship to Europe solely relying on European passengers but without passengers from other continents.

14 hours ago, NCMtnBoys said:

We're also booked in September 2021 from Barcelona. We booked the NCL BOGO air promo so the airfare price is included in what we're paying to NCL and our flights have not yet been assigned. I also reserved our pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona, but it's cancelable. I just wanted to have my choice of hotels instead of waiting until closer to the cruise and have to settle for what's left. There are 8 of us going (four cabins, four hotel rooms) so my options might have been fewer waiting until closer to the time. Our final payment is due in late May and I've decided that if sailings have resumed worldwide by then and things are going well, I'll make final payment. If not, I'll cancel and get a refund of my deposit. I see no reason to give them a more than $5000 final payment if the writing is on the wall that our sailing will not be going. And any extra incentive to pay and get OBC or an extra cruise credit if they cancel after final payment is of no interest to me.  

I agree! Vaccinations are going pretty slowly right now. I'm ready to get mine, but I think I'll be toward the last group. So here I sit, unvaccinated, waiting and willing while other people in prior groups may not want it. I have a final payment due prior to summer and if the slow vaccinations are playing into future cancelations and uncertainty, I'll be canceling and getting a refund of my deposit instead of making the final payment. 

What date you going? We are on the 5th but will possibly stay up to a week before within 50 miles

Not to put a damper on anyone planning on cruising in the near future, but I just read this morning that a member of the House of Representatives just tested positive for COVID19.  He had received his SECOND vaccine about five days ago.   Supposedly the second shot becomes fully effective between 7 and 10 days.  

My point is that the vaccine does NOT prevent someone from catching the virus, it just gives one a better chance of avoiding it or, if you do catch it, have a much less severe case.  I am afraid that many people think that getting the shot means no more masks or social distancing.  I'm afraid this horrible strain is going to be around for a long time. 

1 hour ago, IrishKathy said:

Not to put a damper on anyone planning on cruising in the near future, but I just read this morning that a member of the House of Representatives just tested positive for COVID19.  He had received his SECOND vaccine about five days ago.   Supposedly the second shot becomes fully effective between 7 and 10 days.  

My point is that the vaccine does NOT prevent someone from catching the virus, it just gives one a better chance of avoiding it or, if you do catch it, have a much less severe case.  I am afraid that many people think that getting the shot means no more masks or social distancing.  I'm afraid this horrible strain is going to be around for a long time. 

Yes, they have been saying all along you can get it after being vaccinated, that's why they sit at 70% 90% or 95% when at full efficiency.

What they do know though is that nobody on any of the trials who caught the virus after taking the vaccine had severe symptoms, you are therefore going from a risk of hospitalization or death to a sniffle.

This is very much why some of us hope the cruise lines can move to a "vaccinated only" model once enough people have had the vaccine.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:46 PM, ziggyuk said:

Sorry,the last time i checked it it was mentioned that the final regulations were not fixed and still in negotiation.This was not long ago.Meanwhile everything is fixed and clear.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:13 PM, klfrodo said:

I agree that the way he posted it was not the way it should be and if wouldn`t have any any further experience i would get a clear negative opinion about that country. Luckily i was in the UK several times and have met a lot of UK residents on my cruises so i know that the brits are nice and lovely people.A bit strange,but lovely.

44 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Sorry,the last time i checked it it was mentioned that the final regulations were not fixed and still in negotiation.This was not long ago.Meanwhile everything is fixed and clear.

I agree that the way he posted it was not the way it should be and if wouldn`t have any any further experience i would get a clear negative opinion about that country. Luckily i was in the UK several times and have met a lot of UK residents on my cruises so i know that the brits are nice and lovely people.A bit strange,but lovely.

I'm sorry but if you live in Europe you will know full well a very comprehensive document detailing ALL future law, trade and travel was agreed with the European Union prior to the Bexit deadline.

As the trade deal effects every country in Europe it is impossible not to have heard of the successful travel talks, it was non stop in the media over the lead up to Christmas. The agreement covers every single aspect of our future arrangements.

You were making badly disguised political points that are not allowed on this forum, Cruise Critic is not the place for that.

Nice to hear you find us "lovely", I normally find Germans to be sticklers for correct order and facts which is why I was so surprised at your post.

Edited by ziggyuk