Viking Gulf Coast Cruise

Jack E Dawson

Our local NBC news station reported tonight that Viking Ocean Cruises will begin stoping here in Panama City Beach Florida beginning in April of this year. It will be a tender port call. It is being reported as a cruise starting in Tampa going to PCB, Mobile, Key West, Nassau and back to Tampa. I Googled this story in found a number of corroborating stories. The weird thing is that there is nothing about it on the Viking web site. I also spoke to 2 agents and they knew anything about it. 

Is this for real?

Jack

11 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Our local NBC news station reported tonight that Viking Ocean Cruises will begin stoping here in Panama City Beach Florida beginning in April of this year. It will be a tender port call. It is being reported as a cruise starting in Tampa going to PCB, Mobile, Key West, Nassau and back to Tampa. I Googled this story in found a number of corroborating stories. The weird thing is that there is nothing about it on the Viking web site. I also spoke to 2 agents and they knew anything about it. 

Is this for real?

Jack

I can't find a thing about it on the Viking website.  Did the news get the name of the cruise company wrong?  Is it a Viking cruise with no paying passengers?  Is it a test cruise for Viking to demonstrate its Covid 19 safety protocol in order to meet the guidelines to begin sailing in US waters again.  If Viking wants to sail Alaska this summer or wishes to do the transatlantic crossings in the Fall in order to open the New England and Caribbean markets they must get approval for it.  The current safety guidelines are in effect until November 1, 2021.

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Nassau or Cozumel.  Must have a near foreign stop.

But there are so many other foreign stops that are more “Vikingy” than either of those. Aren’t there some other ports in Mexico that would be more interesting? 

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Has Viking addressed the Key West limits on larger ships? 

FWIW, Miami would be a much more interesting place to me

The referendum that passed in November restricted cruise ships to less than 1300 passengers so It doesn’t apply to Viking. The other parts of the referendum mandate a max of 1500 passengers per day and give priority for docking based on a ship’s environmental safety.  So I suspect Viking will be able to work out calling there.  

Edited by Clay Clayton

50 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Dunno? That’s why I was asking...just seems like there have to be.  

Steaming time counts in scheduling.  If they went to a Mexican Gulf port, VeraCruz for example, it would be nearly an extra day steaming each way.  Plus Vera Cruz, Tampico, and other Gulf Coast ports are industrial ports and high crime areas.  Cancun or Cozumel are the only ones I can think of that would work for this particular sailing.  Instead they chose Nassau.  The Bahamas have some beautiful places as long as you get away from the major towns.  Time will tell if this "local" Viking cruise actually happens.  Wouldn't mind seeing Viking sail out of San Diego to places like Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc. but that is on the Pacific side.  Glad I don't have to try and figure all this out...🥂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

The referendum that passed in November restricted cruise ships to less than 1300 passengers so It doesn’t apply to Viking. The other parts of the referendum mandate a max of 1500 passengers per day and give priority for docking based on a ship’s environmental safety.  So I suspect Viking will be able to work out calling there.  

Thanks.  Hopefully the situation can work out to Viking's benefit

• Like 1