Vaccinations required

Kohima

Saga has announced that all passengers will need to be vaccinated in order to cruise. Only those who have had 2 doses, the last one at least 14 days previously, will be allowed to board. Consequently the commencement of their cruises will now be at the beginning of May.  Clearly this is going to be tight or impossible for some but it seems a sensible way forward.

52 minutes ago, Kohima said:

Saga has announced that all passengers will need to be vaccinated in order to cruise. Only those who have had 2 doses, the last one at least 14 days previously, will be allowed to board. Consequently the commencement of their cruises will now be at the beginning of May.  Clearly this is going to be tight or impossible for some but it seems a sensible way forward.

If starting at the start of May won't it be next to impossible to get their staff vaccinated with both doses on that timeline? Captain, bridge officers, entertainment team. To say nothing of all cabin and wait staff. Or does Saga not require them to be vaccinated?

Edited by ace2542

The letter we received from Saga this morning outlined the vaccine requirements for passengers.  It stated that the crew will be tested regularly, but didn’t say whether they will have been vaccinated in time for the Inaugural cruise in May.  As you say, that would be pretty much impossible to achieve.

Saga’s FAQs say that the crew will be vaccinated “as soon as possible”. Until then they will be relying on the protocols already in place to ensure the crew are free from Covid. In addition to the vaccination, all passengers will be tested before boarding.

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Tight indeed, possibly too tight.

I was due to sail on 6 May, now put back to 2 June. I am 73 and so fall in a prioriy group. The government has set a target for my first vaccination dose by 18 Feb with the second one 12 weeks later, which I calculate as being by the 13 May. Add two weeks to that and you get 27 May, just 6 days before I am due to embark. I may of course be vacinated before the target final dates, but then on the other hand the targets may not be met. Either way, it may well be a close run thing even for someone of my age. Were I ten years younger, I would be concerned.

15 minutes ago, Denarius said:

The government has set a target for my first vaccination dose by 18 Feb with the second one 12 weeks later

Isn't that just for the Astra? The pfizer dosage might be reverted back to the 3 week cycle. And the Moderna is 4 week cycle and that is due in March. So even if government misses the Feb 18th target there is a still good chance you could be fully covered.

Do we really think that the ships will be sailing in May, or even early June?

I think the Inaugural 4th May is going to have a lot of space on board..

Maybe this has been pushed out because of the trading statement due on 26th Jan - they need to keep their shareholders happy about progress being made to resume sailing.

I looked at Saga website (updated today) and loved the bit in FAQ about if your (included transport) driver tests positive after they have dropped you off you may still end up in quarantine.

The pace of rollout in a lot of areas indicates that the lower age groups (50-60) have very little chance of getting on board even in June, come to that even my group (5) it will be pushing it - at a rollout of 2m per week, I'll get the 2nd dose middle to end of May.

14 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

The pace of rollout in a lot of areas indicates that the lower age groups (50-60) have very little chance of getting on board even in June, come to that even my group (5) it will be pushing it - at a rollout of 2m per week, I'll get the 2nd dose middle to end of May

The single shot JJ vaccine might change all that. There has been talk in UK media that it may get approval soon.

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Second question will they automatically refund people who haven't been  vaccinated,  or who don't want to be vaccinated. 

At least you are getting your money back if you don't want to get vaccinated which surprises me. Though it does not say what would happen if you booked through an agency?

............unlikely, as the repeated UK Government message is that, even when quite a number of people have been vaccinated, lots of precautions will still need to remain in place. The beginning of May looks very early for cruising to be opened up. However it’s reassuring that Saga are leading the way in requiring vaccinations for whenever cruising can restart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kohima said:

............unlikely, as the repeated UK Government message is that, even when quite a number of people have been vaccinated, lots of precautions will still need to remain in place. The beginning of May looks very early for cruising to be opened up. However it’s reassuring that Saga are leading the way in requiring vaccinations for whenever cruising can restart.

On a Saga ship it will not be quite a number of people it will be 100%

7 hours ago, Denarius said:

Tight indeed, possibly too tight.

I was due to sail on 6 May, now put back to 2 June. I am 73 and so fall in a prioriy group. The government has set a target for my first vaccination dose by 18 Feb with the second one 12 weeks later, which I calculate as being by the 13 May. Add two weeks to that and you get 27 May, just 6 days before I am due to embark. I may of course be vacinated before the target final dates, but then on the other hand the targets may not be met. Either way, it may well be a close run thing even for someone of my age. Were I ten years younger, I would be concerned.

I agree.

It is highly unlikely that anyone under the age of 65 in the UK will have had their 2 jabs in time for a cruise in May.

Also unlikely that travel restrictions will have been lifted or that ports will be open to passenger carrying cruise ships

I think Saga are being somewhat over optimistic in their forecasts, but we will see.

37 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I agree.

It is highly unlikely that anyone under the age of 65 in the UK will have had their 2 jabs in time for a cruise in May.

Also unlikely that travel restrictions will have been lifted or that ports will be open to passenger carrying cruise ships

I think Saga are being somewhat over optimistic in their forecasts, but we will see.

I agree - highly optimistic by Saga on all fronts, especially with regards to foreign ports allowing UK cruisers ashore, vaccinated or not.

I see they are limiting passenger numbers to 80 percent capacity.  The issue of the crew's immunity is fairly significant and, as others have said, just how do you prove you have had the vaccine?  Apparently the CDC in the States is issuing some sort of certificate or credit card-style thing . . . but nothing so far announced in the UK.  I'm sure all airlines and hotels will shortly be asking for the same certification.

10 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

On a Saga ship it will not be quite a number of people it will be 100%

100% of paying passengers.

Initially, not crew or entertainers.

Expect the Inaugural cruise (and probably a few after that) to have a lot of media on board - I very much doubt they will all be vaccinated.

2 hours ago, wales4ever said:

How do they (or you) prove you have had it?  A letter from yor GP -  at a cost no doubt. What if you work in a hospital and have been vaccinated there?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

And how do they prove you did not forge the letter from the GP on Microsoft word using the letterhead from the practice which you have copied and pasted from their website? 😮. And if the letter does come at cost I can see people forging it to save on the cost. I am not saying they will lie about having though some might. But forging to save the cost of letter I can see that happening. I would do that forge it I mean. I would not pay 25 or 50 a quid a pop. I doubt they could check. The GP won't speak to them. 

It will have to be more secure than that.

Edited by ace2542

Wonder if GPs will now start getting telephone calls, "I MUST have my vaccination, I am booked on a cruise...".

And then on board, passenger arguments about "Why do I have to wear a mask, I've been vaccinated?"

Then one of the numerous un-vaccinated crew/entertainers/guest entertainers/media representatives tests positive and everybody ends up back in quarantine.

4 hours ago, wales4ever said:

How do they (or you) prove you have had it?  A letter from yor GP -  at a cost no doubt. What if you work in a hospital and have been vaccinated there?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

As mentioned above, Saga's FAQ at https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx answers most questions, including this one.

I'm from the U.S., not the UK, but I can't imagine there won't be several pieces of evidence (both paper and digital) showing vaccinations.  I'm sure Saga will accept anything that looks reasonable.  And that means fakery is likely possible, which strikes me as being like failing to wear a hardhat in an active construction zone.

3 hours ago, nosapphire said:

100% of paying passengers.

Initially, not crew or entertainers.

Expect the Inaugural cruise (and probably a few after that) to have a lot of media on board - I very much doubt they will all be vaccinated.

I disagree - I think all the media onboard will be invited guests and WILL have been vaccinated.  But we'll see.

59 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Wonder if GPs will now start getting telephone calls, "I MUST have my vaccination, I am booked on a cruise...".

And then on board, passenger arguments about "Why do I have to wear a mask, I've been vaccinated?"

Then one of the numerous un-vaccinated crew/entertainers/guest entertainers/media representatives tests positive and everybody ends up back in quarantine.

I can see both of your first two sentences happening.  The third too, though I hope all the protocols prevent things from getting out of hand.  I'd hate to see what has happened on other ships and have a cruise being completely terminated because of one asymptomatic case.

All in all, I'm glad someone is trying the vaccine route.  I hope it works for Saga.

I had my first vaccination this morning.

I was given a card the upper part numbered (1 )showed my name, vaccine type, batch number and vaccine date and my second appointment date.(in my case 15 April)

Under this is lower part numbered (2) which has blanks for

Name of Vaccine

Batch no

Date vaccine given

I assume this, or a note from my GP, would be acceptable when embarking on my booked cruise on June 10th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1