The Daily for Tuesday Jan 26, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, kazu said:

How sad Carol 😢. I am so sorry to hear this 😔 

Our condolences to you, and your friend’s family and all our prayers to your  friend, their family and you 🙏🏻 

Thank you. She’s being kept comfortable so we’re grateful for that.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Thank you. She’s being kept comfortable so we’re grateful for that.

I am also saddened by the news of your friend; prayers for a peaceful passing for her.  

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

January 26, 2013

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

As we made our way northbound, the temperatures got warmer and we continued to be blessed with beautiful, long sunsets. Over the 2 days it took to sail to Puerto Madryn we continued to have several lectures a day from the Wilson brothers. Most centered on Edward Wilson and Scott. If the name Wilson is being used a lot, it’s because our lecturers Chris and David are great nephews of Edward Wilson, who died as part of Robert Scott’s ill-fated trip to the South Pole in 1912. This expedition was more of a scientific one than a “race” to the pole. We had the opportunity to see reproductions of many of the photographs taken on that voyage, as well as many of the drawings of Edward.

How very interesting!  I hope when I get to do a SA/Antarctica itinerary I will have some lecturers who can really bring the history.

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Soon after dawn we docked in town, adjacent to an enormous Argentine flag which flew at about our sky deck height.

We had a private tour to Puerto Tombo to see more Magellanic Penguins.

We were able to walk along the wooden decks to an overlook to watch the penguins enter and exit the water.

DSC_0910.thumb.JPG.fd993a606d47054ded9775eb03f421c5.JPG

Lovely photos!  This guy looks like he's grinning at you and inviting you to join in the action.

• Like 4

I'm late to the party today, sorry.  Not too much I can relate to with today's collection of days. I've not (yet) been to Australia, but I can do a passable rendition of "The dingos...ate...my....baby!!!"  I suppose I should speak up more about my workload but feel I've largely been successful nonetheless.

Never been a big fan of the gewürztraminer. Think I'll stick with my NZ sauvignon blanc tonight with my chicken salad. 

I had to laugh at the cartoon of the boy in shorts in the snow -- that was my son when younger, although to be fair our climate isn't frigid. However, it was still cold enough that I felt like a terrible mom when I saw him standing a the bus stop with shorts and no jacket.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, mamaofami said:

On a lesser note, my grandson left his car on a street in LA and it was towed in December. He might have to fly from NY to  LA to get the car released and secure long term parking. He’s young and still learning. Still, there’s so much covid in LA, I wish  there was a better solution. He works for a company in LA and has been working remotely from his parents’ home in NY.

Would it make sense for him to drive the car back to NY?

Roy

• Like 1

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

Dinner for us, will be steak cooked on the BBQ.

Our borders are likely to remain closed to most of the world for the rest of the year, as reopening them poses "too great a risk to our health and economy," the Prime Minister says.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We’ll we got our first Moderna shots this afternoon.  All went well and for spouses day, we got to do it together in the same small room.  It was very crowded, long line outdoors first and long line inside.  I don’t know how it’s done inyour car, as there were stations to take your temperature and places to sit and answer questions about your state of health and enter information into a computer.  After getting the vaccine, we sat in another room for 15 minutes before being able to leave.  In four weeks we’ll probably be back again with all this same group!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

They are interesting and curious birds.

They certainly are!  They are also mean and ornery. Once we had a roadrunner attack a bird in our backyard, it was on the top of our back wall and caught the bird in the tree. What a ruckus that created!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

January 26, 2013

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

As we made our way northbound, the temperatures got warmer and we continued to be blessed with beautiful, long sunsets. Over the 2 days it took to sail to Puerto Madryn we continued to have several lectures a day from the Wilson brothers. Most centered on Edward Wilson and Scott. If the name Wilson is being used a lot, it’s because our lecturers Chris and David are great nephews of Edward Wilson, who died as part of Robert Scott’s ill-fated trip to the South Pole in 1912. This expedition was more of a scientific one than a “race” to the pole. We had the opportunity to see reproductions of many of the photographs taken on that voyage, as well as many of the drawings of Edward.

Soon after dawn we docked in town, adjacent to an enormous Argentine flag which flew at about our sky deck height.

DSC_0929.thumb.JPG.96d42d4787fcc049864a97804a78af95.JPG

We had a private tour to Puerto Tombo to see more Magellanic Penguins.

DSC_0802.thumb.JPG.4c17d63c7dc5e91779b22249040bf355.JPG

The site was about 2 hours away from the port and is the largest penguin colony in Argentina. When we visited there were still a number of chicks that were molting baby feathers. It was a really hot day, and the ride was mainly through an arid desert on a nice highway. Along the way we saw wild rea, guanaco and even a few cuy.

DSC_0800.thumb.JPG.6176c30aa64f237995b2ca49961c25b6.JPGDSC_0804.thumb.JPG.ef298156176263f38b9dc6e2261c92b1.JPG

We were able to walk along the wooden decks to an overlook to watch the penguins enter and exit the water.

DSC_0843.thumb.JPG.01bba30a24ff0cb7e8c63785183b89c9.JPGDSC_0868.thumb.JPG.eec403b32b52891fa3c695b28d0b73c7.JPGDSC_0910.thumb.JPG.fd993a606d47054ded9775eb03f421c5.JPGDSC_0889.thumb.JPG.79d1cb877e0c37a0b22dc03d83b08c00.JPGDSC_0857.thumb.JPG.7fb95c06a343145c05eb60bb1424804d.JPGDSC_0847.thumb.JPG.6ba38c92b7a2b6e932a204664fcac6d0.JPG

These were the same species of penguins we had seen in Otoway, but for whatever reason, these would throw back their heads and bray like a donkey (which gives them the nick name of jack ass penguins).  

DSC_0859.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

💕 Good memories of Puerto Madryn and seeing the penguins in Punta Tombo! 😉I found a private tour when I checked the Cruise Critics boards....👍good information if you like independent and smaller excursions. 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

How very interesting!  I hope when I get to do a SA/Antarctica itinerary I will have some lecturers who can really bring the history.

It sounds like they have a new, and vert capable team who did the recent Antarctica cruises.

Some of David Wilson’s material is published: 

Bear with me while I copy links on my iPad 

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Photographs-Captain-Scott-Expedition/dp/0316178500/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=David+Wilson+Antarctica&qid=1611719775&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Cheltenham-Antarctica-Life-Edward-Wilson/dp/1873877544/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=David+Wilson+Antarctica&qid=1611719775&sr=8-2

Holy Cow! The price of this one has increased tremendously since I bought it!
https://www.amazon.com/Wilsons-Antarctic-Notebooks-Antarctica-2011-09-01/dp/B01FIXQCOQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=David+Wilson+Antarctica&qid=1611719775&sr=8-3

Sadly, Chris passed away several years back.

http://thewriterslife.blogspot.com/2012/04/interview-with-christopher-wilson.html

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's over a week since I posted a sunrise from my 2018 Crystal 2-ship World Cruise.  On January 26 the Crystal Serenity was at sea from Los Angeles to Maui.

dawn0126.jpg

How’s the weather?

2 hours ago, CM1984 said:

How’s the weather?

Can I ask that you put comments outside a quote.  When you put them inside the quote and the quote is truncated it looks like you didn't say anything.  That was quite a nice day, although several of the days were windy and stormy.   At that time typical highs were in the upper 60's.

Roy

On 1/27/2021 at 7:59 AM, rafinmd said:

Can I ask that you put comments outside a quote.  When you put them inside the quote and the quote is truncated it looks like you didn't say anything.  That was quite a nice day, although several of the days were windy and stormy.   At that time typical highs were in the upper 60's.

Roy

Good Morning Roy,

I do apologize for that, I must have missed something, since it was simply my questions.  I must pay attention to detail!  Stay safe, eat well and hope you enjoy your day.  They are calling for about 6" of snow here in our part of Virginia tomorrow (Sunday).  We had none last year.  It's time to bake, bread, cookies and sweet rolls.  (This has nothing to do with cruising, but..........................)

4 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Good Morning Roy,

I do apologize for that, I must have missed something, since it was simply my questions.  I must pay attention to detail!  Stay safe, eat well and hope you enjoy your day.  They are calling for about 6" of snow here in our part of Virginia tomorrow (Sunday).  We had none last year.  It's time to bake, bread, cookies and sweet rolls.  (This has nothing to do with cruising, but..........................)

It's almost like nothing related to cruising is relevant now.

Stay safe and it looks like a good few days to curl up with a book.

Roy

• Like 2