Refund Status from March Cancellations

I know this may not pertain to everyone, but I wanted to share my experience. We initiated our cruise refund ~14 days ago when they canceled March cruises. We just received about 75% of the refunds this morning. I still don't like how they refund the cruise fare portion, but at least it is coming through. I was not expecting any of this refund until March. Their response time is getting much better.

• Like 2

I think I got most of mine for a 3/28 cruise, but the way RCI breaks up the refund is insane. I need to hand over my credit card statement to my accountant to figure this one out. lol . Think I'm about $250 short though.

• Like 1

Did you get different refunds for the cruise planner, port expense, and cruise fare?  It is a mess.

We booked our cruise through a TA who had a group promotion so we saved a few dollars however it is making the refund process go even slower and more confused.

We got ours 9 days after cancellation.  It was split 6 or 7 ways, but, with my march cruise folder in front of me, I was able to figure what went where.  It was the 10th cruise refunded, so I am getting better at keeping track of what was spent and what the multiple refund amounts mean.  Not quite the experience I was hoping to acquire last spring.😒

Cruise Planner refunds came in total chunks: all of the Key purchases in one, all shore excursions in one, dining package in one. The cruise fare? I have 3 so far in the amounts of 601.63, 390.37, and 392.46. Still short about 800. It is ridiculous how they do it. Those numbers do not map to the tax, port fees, or anything else that makes sense on the cruise fare.

Glad I'm not the only one flummoxed by the amounts of the refunds. When sailing was canceled through November we L&S'd our October 2020 Majesty cruise to 2021, but that was cancelled in January when Royal decided to sell Majesty.  I got a weird credit that is far more than the taxes and fees, but the rest doesn't add up to anything that makes sense.  And we're taking the FCC to bundle with out other FCC and just opting for a balcony to use up all of it in one cruise.  Luckily for me, our TA is getting all of the records for all three cancelled cruises and all the payments, so hopefully they'll help me make sure I'm square.  Of course, this is all complicated by our first cruise being for 12 of us and I handled full payments for half the folks and deposits for all.  Such a mess.

Lesson learned, though. I'm using separate cards per room and keeping track of every amount for each person.  Hopefully I won't need all the details this time but better to do it and not need it than end up where I'm at now.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't gotten FCCs or port/tax refunds for my March cruise, though it's still well within the 45 day window.

The 45 day clock does not necessarily start from the day that Royal announces the cancellations.  Sometimes it takes them a while after that to cancel the individual voyage...that's when the 45 day clock starts and if you still don't have it they will then tell you it's 45 business days

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My March cruise now formally appears as cancelled, so I would hope FCCs and refunds start flowing.

My FCC for Cruises I canceled came yesterday in 4weeks. Thats about longest had wait in 10months for Refund or FCC that I canceled or they did. Last one they canceled Refund was 2weeks. Guess I should been playing Lotto. Your experience may not be same...Good Luck!

Interesting.   I was just coming to find out about the FCC.   We were notified on January 12th and by the next week had our TA put in a reservation to go to this.   Supposedly RCI will hold that sailing/cabin/price until February 26.   But like ya’ll said, the website says February 12.  Then it still says 45 days.  Probably why RCI said February 26:, which is 45 days.  Hoping for sooner.  I want to lock in that other reservation.

Following

Erika

My problem, is that I'm getting credits to my CC and have no idea as to what they apply.  The latest is $143.51 posted on Jan. 19.  Called the 800 number associated to the charge and they have no idea and no help.  Wish I could contact their billing dept.

Ps.  I've received all of my moneys purchased in the crusie planner, taxes & fees and FCCs for cancelled cruises.

Royal cancelled our May 2020 cruise. We initially elected to take the 125% FCC, but with no cruises to our liking being offered, we requested (thru my TA) a refund on 17 November 2020 and were told it would come in bits and pieces, and could take up to 90 days.   We had already received a refund for port charges and for The Key, but have not received a single penny for the cruise fare.   Day 89, and nothing. I don’t get it.   When you book, you are charged in a matter of moments.  I get that operations everywhere are affected by COVID, but we’re a year into it, and they haven’t figured out how to get “stuff” done?  I checked in with my TA on day 60, they told her it’s still in the works.   We found a cruise on celebrity we like for 2022, but I am reluctant to give royal even more $$ at this point. We’re talking about $3k each here.    Any suggestions or ideas?