Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

We did the Great Lakes cruise in June.  The Polaris is a beautiful ship.  I didn't like the nordic balconies because of the black out shades which are electronic and make noise if you just want to peek outside while your partner is still sleeping.  The restaurant and Manfredi's were noisy but we ate in each one once.  Otherwise we did the buffet and ate in a quiet area in the Aquavit.  The food was really good but it's still a buffet which bothers me.  There are plenty of staff around to carry your plate/bowl/etc.

We had rainy weather and missed a port so the use of the "toys" was limited.  

This was not a very active cruise but we did enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am wondering about space around the outside pool on warm weather cruises...was is terribly crowded?  I sure would not want to sit in the enclosed pool area on a bright sunny day.

5 hours ago, Mike07 said:

If I had a choice, I'd take the expedition balconies versus the standard cruise ship balconies. Celebrity calls them "infinity balconies", Viking tries to differentiate themselves with making up norwegian names. But, standard balcony versus infinity balcony, I prefer the latter.

Interesting, how come? Have to stand up, rather than sit, to get any fresh air with the Nordic balcony, compared to sitting outside.

15 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The food is the best I’ve had on a ship. If you want steak and lobster every night, you can have it. There is a meat case at the grill with cuts of beef, a sushi chef and seafood bar, a bakery, a fresh pasta station, incredible desserts, cold stone custom made ice cream, and all this in addition to the standard buffet fare.

Wow! Sounds awesome. I believe I've heard this from someone else also. We have no problem with eating in WC! Actually, on our Mississippi cruise, after maybe a week or so in the dining room, we wound up eating upstairs at the buffet and really enjoyed it. For one thing, much better views on both sides of the ship. Restaurant started to feel a bit 'stuffy' especially with one particular couple plunking down a wine bottle an hour or so before dinner so as to always reserve the window seat. I and another couple were sort of put off by that, plus on some evenings the service was a bit slow if they were busy. Thanks for the info....

17 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Interesting, how come? Have to stand up, rather than sit, to get any fresh air with the Nordic balcony, compared to sitting outside.

Mainly because I can sit right by the window, and I tend to go to the polar regions when I travel. Warm weather cruises don't interest me, though I will do the Oceania FP 10-dayer at some point. The issue is I like cold, but it's sometimes too cold to enjoy a deck balcony (e.g. Iceland/Greenland).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

The issue is I like cold, but it's sometimes too cold to enjoy a deck balcony (e.g. Iceland/Greenland).

Gotta say, though, that when we went down to Antarctica we made great use of the balcony! It was nice to be out there (rather than on the VERY crowded outside deck areas) and then duck in and out of the room to get warm. Same for the Northern Lights cruise.

We'll probably try one of these Great Lakes cruises (the new 17-day itinerary looks intriguing), but I'm fairly certain that, after doing the expedition ship, I doubt I'd trade my outside balcony for an Infinity / Nordic. Probably a once-and-done thing, since we really like Viking Ocean.

Canada / NE cruises are great for using the balcony also. I just like being out there, feeling the breeze, on the lounge (or whatever) chair, with a book. Most of our cruising it out of Bayonne or Baltimore since we don't have to fly.

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow! Sounds awesome. I believe I've heard this from someone else also. We have no problem with eating in WC! Actually, on our Mississippi cruise, after maybe a week or so in the dining room, we wound up eating upstairs at the buffet and really enjoyed it. For one thing, much better views on both sides of the ship. Restaurant started to feel a bit 'stuffy' especially with one particular couple plunking down a wine bottle an hour or so before dinner so as to always reserve the window seat. I and another couple were sort of put off by that, plus on some evenings the service was a bit slow if they were busy. Thanks for the info....

What?!  A couple plunking down a wine bottle to reserve a window seat?  How did they bypass the maitre d’?  I’ve never seen this happen but if it was an issue for me, I’d report it to the Restaurant Manager and/or Guest Services.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

What?!  A couple plunking down a wine bottle to reserve a window seat?

Absolutely they did. Ticked me off actually. We eat early - around  5:00, or whenever they opened - can't remember anymore. So when we got there, the wine bottle was already at "their" table. A young couple came in and went to sit there, but were somewhat quietly told that the table is already reserved. I know they weren't happy. I suspect the older couple that did this tipped the wait staff real well for the privilege of reserving a table, but that's just pure speculation on my part. They were nice enough people, and we chatted with them several times - actually as soon as getting on the ship; however, I think they're also of the sort that feels a bit 'entitled', as it were. And perhaps a bit of a superior attitude. First conversation with them as part of the champagne welcome aboard, we got talking about various places we've each been to and then I said, "always more places to go to". Expected a simple acknowledgment but instead he goes, "well, we've pretty much been all over, and whatever places are left to visit probably aren't worth it". It left me totally flat and didn't engage in further conversation after that. I sort of felt like saying, "then why are you here?" 

Anyway, once we saw what was going on with all this table business, we never ate in the restaurant again and instead went up to the buffet the rest of the trip. I'm betting they 'reserved' that table every night after that. I had no desire to find out. Quite rude, I'd say. As you allude to, such a thing shouldn't have been allowed. First come, first served. Would have been one thing HAD they gotten there before everyone else, but no, they'd come waltzing in after the room was half-filled already and casually take their nice window seats and pop their wine. 😁

Edited by OnTheJourney

When we were on the Octantis we were taken to a table in the Dining Room.  We did not just wander in and look for an open table.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2024 at 2:19 PM, deec said:

When we were on the Octantis we were taken to a table in the Dining Room.  We did not just wander in and look for an open table.

We haven’t seen wandering in or table saving in ANY Viking restaurant.  In my opinion, bizarre behavior for a Viking cruise.  Hope it’s not the new norm.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this thread after reserving a Viking Octantis Antarctica-South Georgia Island trip. I'm hoping that those who have done the Antarctic with Octantis might be able to answer some questions:

1. After returning to Ushuaia, how is the charter flight back to B.A. handled?

2. What time does one get back to B.A., and does Viking take the plane to EZE or AEP?

3. If AEP, do they bus you to EZE?

4. What time do you finally arrive at EZE to catch one's return flight home?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, notjaded said:

I just found this thread after reserving a Viking Octantis Antarctica-South Georgia Island trip. I'm hoping that those who have done the Antarctic with Octantis might be able to answer some questions:

1. After returning to Ushuaia, how is the charter flight back to B.A. handled?

2. What time does one get back to B.A., and does Viking take the plane to EZE or AEP?

3. If AEP, do they bus you to EZE?

4. What time do you finally arrive at EZE to catch one's return flight home?

Many thanks!

There are multiple departures for the charter. It will depend on the group you are in. You are given your boarding pass and seat assignment at the airport. The fight goes to EZE. It’s a 737 and they do not seat anyone in the middle seat. They ask you not to change seats in order to keep the plane balanced.

We were on the BA extension and were on the 11:30 ish morning flight. Some people left earlier. We were taken to our hotel about 3:00 PM. Non-extension guests were taken right to the departure area. All but one or two flights to the U.S. leave late at night. It took a while to get through BA security on our way home so you really need a few hours before the flight.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

we were able to do a tour before the charter flight to EZE.  Sometimes it is a long wait to check in at the airport (counter did not open until 5)  I would really recommend doing  a post extension unless you on't mind cooling your heels at the airport.  Could not even go to the lounge since it was past security.

I think you will enjoy this cruise I am sorry we did not opt for the cruise that included South Georgia Island.  We really enjoyed the pre-extension of Parana Delta and post at Iguaza Falls.  Buenos Aires is also a great city to spend time in

Edited by deec
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, deec said:

... Could not even go to the lounge since it was past security.

As indicated many pages back, Viking puts us in a fake Hard Rock Cafe until it is time for check-in. It is crowded with mostly long tables, the food is just okay, and the wine and beer are decent. Do not expect a real Hard Rock Cafe experience. It does not even have restrooms. You have to go down a level to find one.

Once past EZE security, the best lounge we could find is the American Express Centurion Lounge, if you have the appropriate credit card. It is a beautiful spot with decent food. We were unable to get into the Priority Pass lounge, as it was full. Actually, there was a sign in the Priority Pass lounge advertising the Centurion Lounge. The staff at Priority were delighted to give us directions.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, deec said:

we were able to do a tour before the charter flight to EZE.  Sometimes it is a long wait to check in at the airport (counter did not open until 5)  I would really recommend doing  a post extension unless you on't mind cooling your heels at the airport.  Could not even go to the lounge since it was past security.

I think you will enjoy this cruise I am sorry we did not opt for the cruise that included South Georgia Island.  We really enjoyed the pre-extension of Parana Delta and post at Iguaza Falls.  Buenos Aires is also a great city to spend time in

Thanks for your response!

Re the tour before the flight back to EZE: That was a Viking tour of Ushuaia before departing?

Just fyi for anyone whose interested, we ran across a YouTube on Atlas and after going down a rabbit hole and then posting questions on the Atlas forum, and getting a quote from Atlas for January 2025, here is what I posted in response to someone who said Viking was 30-50% more expensive:

Just got quotes from Atlas, if booking without any promos from either line your price difference % appears to be about correct if you intend to purchase Silver Spirits and don’t have a TA that provides onboard credit sufficient to pay Viking’s gratuities.  However, the promo pricing is much closer to the same when taken on a per person per day basis.  While I recognize that Atlas has fewer passengers thereby supposedly increasing the number of landings, given all their cruises are shorter in length, I suspect that there are an equal number of landing possibilities. 

On 8/26/2024 at 5:32 PM, Over the Line said:

We are booked on Octanis, Great Lakes, 2026.

We're planning on booking for '26 also - thinking mostly the newer 17-day itinerary. I like the May 1 date, but am inquiring on the trip advisor travel forums as to whether or not that's too early. There's also a Sept. 23 date. I don't like any June or July dates since I don't travel during summers. I'm running out of time to decide since we have vouchers that have to be booked by mid-October.

Has anyone done the Great Lakes either late April or early May? If so...any thoughts or recommendations? Most of what I got on the travel forum is to go for late September / early fall for the foliage.

Edited by OnTheJourney

We live in the Detroit area and cruised our sailboat throughtout the Great Lakes.  Late April or early May might be glorious but probably not so much.  You will get a better chance for warm dry weather in the Fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

We're planning on booking for '26 also - thinking mostly the newer 17-day itinerary. I like the May 1 date, but am inquiring on the trip advisor travel forums as to whether or not that's too early. There's also a Sept. 23 date. I don't like any June or July dates since I don't travel during summers. I'm running out of time to decide since we have vouchers that have to be booked by mid-October.

Has anyone done the Great Lakes either late April or early May? If so...any thoughts or recommendations? Most of what I got on the travel forum is to go for late September / early fall for the foliage.

In addition to @deec's sound advice, having also lived and sailed the Great Lakes widely, I'd suggest September. In the early spring, the lakes will still be very cold and influence both the shore temperature and certainly the sea days. I have sailed Ontario in May when heavy float coats were needed offshore while people onshore were in shorts.

I would also caution that it would be wise to moderate any expectation of "fall colours". Once into Lake Huron and northern Lake Michigan, you will find a lot of evergreen coverage and far less deciduous with colour. Spectacular scenery, but perhaps not full of colour.

All that said, the trip would be wonderful and a great opportunity to experience some of the world's largest "inland seas"! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

Agree on all counts.  

We are on Octantis next year during July and into August for B2B starting in Milwaukee.  Will be fun to sail around my old stomping grounds...including visiting my childhood favorite....Mackinaw Island.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, deec said:

You will get a better chance for warm dry weather in the Fall.

11 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I'd suggest September. In the early spring, the lakes will still be very cold and influence both the shore temperature and certainly the sea days. I have sailed Ontario in May when heavy float coats were needed offshore while people onshore were in shorts.

I would also caution that it would be wise to moderate any expectation of "fall colours". Once into Lake Huron and northern Lake Michigan, you will find a lot of evergreen coverage and far less deciduous with colour. Spectacular scenery, but perhaps not full of colour.

Deec and CurlerRob...thanks so much for these very helpful suggestions! I think that decides it. As much as that 3rd week in Sept. would not be my first choice for several reasons, I'll book it and then can always change it. Since it's not till '26, very possibly some more dates might open up. It's their newest itinerary for the GL so if they come up with a few October dates, I'll probably move it to a bit later than 9/23.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Deec and CurlerRob...thanks so much for these very helpful suggestions! I think that decides it. As much as that 3rd week in Sept. would not be my first choice for several reasons, I'll book it and then can always change it. Since it's not till '26, very possibly some more dates might open up. It's their newest itinerary for the GL so if they come up with a few October dates, I'll probably move it to a bit later than 9/23.

The two expedition ships need to head to the Antarctic so I doubt you’ll see any later GL dates.

• Thanks 1

Much after Late September and the Great Lakes can also be notoriously rough!  I think September will be the best weather window.

Love our Great Lakes but they are not always gentle calm ponds!  Halloween in Detroit can be warm fall or sleety/rain for the kids!

However, those Expedition Ships know how to handle waves and I am guessing it will be nothing like the DRAKE SHAKE!

Edited by deec
  • Like 1