The Daily for Monday Feb 1, 2021

richwmn

today is National Freedom Day, Robinson Crusoe Day, and Spunky Old Broads Day

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.

Meal suggestion for today - Mini Meat Loaf Sheet-Pan Meal

Drink of the Day - More Tea Vicar?

Wine of the day - "Villa Sandi ""il Fresco"" Prosecco - Italy - White" vintage

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/3
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Long Beach Anchorage
Noordam

Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0201Tor.thumb.png.f1ec26519a6f2b2fbf1b3bf4d4fe5666.png

0201USA.thumb.png.ed58e4d4888d9ab514ecdc69cc219014.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the first February Daily, Rich.  I wonder if Australia and New Zealand are celebrating Groundhog Day today.  I'll celebrate Freedom Day about 2 weeks after getting my second jab.  Robinson Crusoe Island suggests I may want to post something about my visits to Robinson Crusoe Island.  I don't think I dare say anything about Spunky Old Broads Day.  The quote is so appropriate to these times.  I'll pass on the meat loaf.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Sauteed Veal Picatta, and Tiramisu, as enjoyed on MS Maasdam February 1, 2015.  I wasn't doing meal collages back then but it was Super Bowl Sunday and here are the snacks served in the Theater.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/gamesnacks.jpg

And the arm is about 90% better today.  The improvement started about 24 hours after the jab.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

doobieb quarantined until February 5; DD and DGS with Covid

durangoscots hoping for safe travel to her shots

Sharon’s mother and  daughter (but both improving)

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but rallying

My fire station office manager with likely covid

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including surfcitygirl (with jab)

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Dfish finishing repairs and painting

Mamaofami’s grandsons both at their destinations

Many people getting vaccinated

Recovery of Jose’s nephew

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Welcome February.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Spunky old broads! 

Thanks for the meal suggestions.

The drink of the day sounds interesting.  I wonder what it is and why the name.  Looking forward to reading about it.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Good morning from this Spunky Old Broad.  The meal sounds wonderful but we are having cubed steaks with mushroom gravy tonight.  Wallpaper, haven't used that in decades.  Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Glad your arm is better Roy. We should be getting an email this week with an appointment for our second jab. Shout outs to our other list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

More Tea Vicar?:

Ingredients
50ml Coxy’s Lavender Gin
200ml Iced tea infusion
Slice Lemon
Sprig of Mint

Method (makes 1)
Take a high ball glass & add some ice, pour over 50ml Coxy’s Lavender Gin, add the slice of lemon & the sprig of mint & top up with 200ml of the Iced Tea infusion, give it a quick stir with a paper straw & enjoy. For a delicious mocktail or if you have a sweet tooth just add 50ml of local cloudy apple juice.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.49.36 AM.png

• Like 21

Good Morning All, today’s dinner will be soup from the leftover turkey.  This will be nice considering the storm we are getting.  

On 1/15 I requested a refund of the remaining open FCD, it posted this morning to my credit card.  That is an improved turnaround time.  I cancelled a cruise last week and am waiting on that refund.  Once that is completed I’m only into HAL for $400.

• Like 12

This is such a good way to begin the day. Thanks, Rich and Roy, for jump starting us with such smiles and good thoughts.

Congrats to all getting their jabs. The news is really good about the vaccines eliminating deaths, in spite of continued positive cases. 

Seems we are on the right path.

That drink- Reminds me of a Long Island Iced Tea. I will save the recipe for a warm day.

Good luck to all caught in the winter storms. Here it is just cold at 39F. Can’t even imagine -10F.  I don’t think I have had my wool coat out of the closet in 5 years. 

Quarantine report: all good, close to the end. 4 more days. I bet we can finish 4 more puzzles!

• Like 18

Good morning on the first day of a new month!  Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

• Like 19

Good morning from this Spunky Old Broad.   That is a designation I wear with pride.  

Tonight's dinner is a sheet pan dinner, the kind I like.  But, since I just had meatloaf, I'll go back to my fish and veggies.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mini-meat-loaf-sheet-pan-meal/

Off to the Dr. for a routine appointment today and then I get to come home and put my bedroom back together.  The fun part will be installing the curtain rod and hanging the curtains.  

• Like 18

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning from this Spunky Old Broad.   That is a designation I wear with pride.  

Tonight's dinner is a sheet pan dinner, the kind I like.  But, since I just had meatloaf, I'll go back to my fish and veggies.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mini-meat-loaf-sheet-pan-meal/

Off to the Dr. for a routine appointment today and then I get to come home and put my bedroom back together.  The fun part will be installing the curtain rod and hanging the curtains.  

I think repainting qualifies as well.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

We’ve had about 6 inches of snow so far., but the worse is still to come. Possibly another 6-8 inches till tomorrow.

Dinner tonight will be leftover Turkey and all the sides. 
      A good day to stay warm inside and watch the storm.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 13

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily rich and Roy, thanks for the prayers for my friend in hospice and for the shoutout about both my grandsons arriving safely at their destinations.

It’s snowing like crazy here and NJ governor has declared a state of emergency. I expect we will lose power because we always do. We’ve been warned and have turned up the heat, taken out flashlights and lanterns , and blankets. Our phones are charged, and thankfully we won’t have to clear away the expected 18 inches of snow. Now we just hunker down.

I have chopped beef defrosted and will make meatloaf if the power holds. Otherwise, I’ll make sloppy joes on the stove top.

Stay safe everyone. No masks for us today based we’ll be staying home.

Carol

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Another interesting collection of days.  I might be getting old and I’m definitely spunky but I refuse to be called a broad 😉 

9A37CCDD-4501-4048-B22E-EEC86606B569.jpeg.73ab21c7014edb1aa0a26a458c9b1f05.jpeg

That quote matches these times so well.  That’s all the change of scene many of us will have for some time.  Patience 😌 

6C77B95C-6148-482B-B371-991A470E497B.jpeg.ac6f6a10a7622ca4159596c0c78ee2cf.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds good but with a lovely ham bone and ham left over I think I will make a split pea soup.  Seems to match the stormy weather perfectly and the slow cooker works even if we lose power 😉 

that drink looks great @summer slope thanks for the recipe.

@rafinmdso glad to hear that your arm has improved.

Looking forward to @cat shepard’s description of the Prosecco.

Sorry to hear that the storm has hit you already @mamaofami.I hope you don’t lose your power.

There’s a new disease that is a side effect of the pandemic.  Fair warning to all who are spending too much time on the couch:

27586451-2ACD-410C-B228-6DF7F15D27E9.jpeg.d09e53be7e8aa21710c0b3bea0c82672.jpeg

Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays in and stays safe.  Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list, in the path of the storm & for those that need them.  And a huge toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday & 1st day of February everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. I am picturing you sitting at your computer this morning grinning from ear-to-ear at “Spunky Old Broads Day”. I know this spunky old broad laughed out loud when I read it. I will toast to Freedom day tonight. Something I never want to take for granted. 

Roy, glad your arm isn’t as sore.  I appreciate you keeping our ever-changing lists! Morning Dailyites! Today is another day of forced inactivity, but I am doing well. @dfish, thank you for the recipe. I might make that with ground turkey or chicken. I like to save my beef eating for a nice ribeye or prime rib. Love the quote & meal suggestion. Pass on the drink, even though I love the name!

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone. 

This Italian Prosecco has good to very good ratings, and many distributors offer it for a reasonable price - starting at $11.99. This might be a great choice for those Champagne Margaritas. I used Prosecco when I made mine a week ago and they were very good.  And I hate to waste a wine with an excellent rating in a mixed drink.
Winemaker Notes

Aromas of ripe golden apples, acacia, and honeysuckle are exhibited on the nose. On the palate, the wine is dry, fresh and fruit-driven with citrus and stone-fruit flavors. Blend: 85% Glera, 15% Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc

W&S89 Wine & Spirits: Supple bubbles keep this wine lively, zipping away the sweetness and bringing out lemon-lime and green-apple flavors. A clean, pleasantly sweet sparkler for grilled prawns with fruit salsa.

• Like 19

@kazuplease explain how your slow cooker keeps working even if the power goes.  The last time we had a major power outage we still had a bbq and did a lot of cooking on that for three days. We no longer have a bbq so i would have to get the camp stove out if we lost power. Your slow cooker would be ideal.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, superoma said:

@kazuplease explain how your slow cooker keeps working even if the power goes.  The last time we had a major power outage we still had a bbq and did a lot of cooking on that for three days. We no longer have a bbq so i would have to get the camp stove out if we lost power. Your slow cooker would be ideal.

Oh sorry, we have a generator.  It only powers the fridges, well pump (very important), garage door, tv, internet, and a few outlets.  So, both my microwave and slow cooker work as they can be connected to that outlet even though my stove doesn’t 😉 

So, we still turn up the heat if there are power fears but we can plug in some electric heaters to help.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

For the birder Dailyites, there are 2 eagles that nest annually in Baltimore.  There's a new webcam for their nest.  Probably not one of the better ones but it might be worth a look anyway:

https://www.masonvillecove.org/eagles

Roy

If they can zoom in, it will be perfect. There used to be a pair of eagles that nested in the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge just to the North of the Bay Bridge on the Eastern Shore. But there wasn’t a camera there.  

Great memories of sailing on the Bay and seeing an eagle soaring overhead, often with a fish.

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A little late to the party because this Spunky Old Broad slept in!  That certainly made me smile this morning, as it also gives a different outlook on SOB.  LOL  Every day is a reason to celebrate the freedom that we all take for granted - look at what's happening in other countries right now.

What a way to start a new month with lots of reasons to celebrate - people getting jabs, others getting well and out of hospital, more arriving safely at their destinations, and so much more.  Hopefully this good news will continue throughout the month of February.

I like the menu suggestion today, and I know we've got ground beef in the "ice cave" that I can thaw out for it.  We're doing a quick grocery run, so will likely add asparagus to the list to add to the sheet pan.  With a side salad, that will make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

The drink of the day sounds interesting, but I really dislike the feel of a paper straw in my mouth - anybody else?  For the past couple of years I've been carrying a little pouch in my purse with silicone straws that we use for soda, iced coffee, etc. when we are out.  When we're finished with our drinks, I wrap the straws in a napkin until we get home, them toss them into the dishwasher.

Thank you @kazufor explaining how your slow cooker can work with the power off; a generator is a good idea if you're living in an area where power outages are frequent.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all on the celebration list with raised wineglasses tonight.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

If they can zoom in, it will be perfect. There used to be a pair of eagles that nested in the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge just to the North of the Bay Bridge on the Eastern Shore. But there wasn’t a camera there.  

Great memories of sailing on the Bay and seeing an eagle soaring overhead, often with a fish.

I'm not convinced they can but it could be a storm issue. All I got yesterday was a rotating circle so the cam may not be fully operational yet.

Roy

• Like 3