How will OBC Be Refunded Left on Ship Account?

phabric

Using 2 credit cards -

1) book and purchase OBC on Canadian credit card ( going on CDN group)

2) on ship US a credit card

If there are any OBC to be refunded would it be refunded on CDN credit card (where it was purchased) or US credit card (used for ship) or cheque?

Refundable OBC is credited to your shipboard account and refunded to the credit card associated with that shipboard account.

It does not matter how the OBC is paid for or who paid for it. Refundable OBC is refunded to the passenger with the OBC.

I have had refundable OBC from prepaid shore excursions. When the prepaid shore excursion was cancelled on board, the refund was posted to the shipboard account of the passenger who was scheduled to go on the shore excursion - even if someone else paid for the shore excursion in advance. If a passenger has a refund due on the shipboard account because of more OBC than charges, the difference (if refundable OBC) is credited to the credit card associated with that shipboard account on board.

If what you have left is under a certain amount you need to request it from passenger services the last night or it won’t be refunded but I think the amount is minimal, $25 USD?? 
I can’t recall but I’m sure someone knows.

15 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

If what you have left is under a certain amount you need to request it from passenger services the last night or it won’t be refunded but I think the amount is minimal, $25 USD?? 
I can’t recall but I’m sure someone knows.

Correct...$25 will be refunded in cash on the last day (if requested).

The answer to @phabric's question is that any OBC (above $25) on the last day is mailed in a check. It is NOT refunded to a credit card.

Not sure about the other part of @NavyVeteran's answer regarding cancellation of an excursion. IIRC when we've had excursions cancelled, the $$ just went back into our OBC.

When the OBC is mailed (this is, of course, the way it was done pre-Covid), it arrives in an envelope that could be mistaken for junk mail. Watch your mail carefully. The envelopes have been changed about 2-3 years ago, but still are quite plain.

• Like 3

We received refund check in the mail several weeks after the trip.  I know this doesn't apply in OP's case, because that is purchased OBC, but OBC given by Princess is usually nonrefundable (there are a few exceptions, such as move over offers).  if you have both, your nonrefundable will be used first.  I didn't know about going to the service desk, and lost about $12 😧 once.

My experience is that refundable OBC over $25 is refunded by check approximately 3 - 6 weeks after the cruise ends.  It comes in an envelop that does not indicate the cruise line and one must be careful not to discard it as junk mail.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Correct...$25 will be refunded in cash on the last day (if requested).

The answer to @phabric's question is that any OBC (above $25) on the last day is mailed in a check. It is NOT refunded to a credit card.

Not sure about the other part of @NavyVeteran's answer regarding cancellation of an excursion. IIRC when we've had excursions cancelled, the $$ just went back into our OBC.

When the OBC is mailed (this is, of course, the way it was done pre-Covid), it arrives in an envelope that could be mistaken for junk mail. Watch your mail carefully. The envelopes have been changed about 2-3 years ago, but still are quite plain.

My mistake. You are correct. It is refunded by check - not credit card.

11 hours ago, nocl said:

My experience is that refundable OBC over $25 is refunded by check approximately 3 - 6 weeks after the cruise ends.  It comes in an envelop that does not indicate the cruise line and one must be careful not to discard it as junk mail.

So the question that the OP should have is will the check be in US $ or Canadian $?

10 hours ago, caribill said:

So the question that the OP should have is will the check be in US $ or Canadian $?

IIRC there were some posts going back a year or 2 that the check is in USD and those who live in Europe were having a hard time cashing them. Don't recall anything about Canadians having issues.