Majestic to Alaska, May 25 AB3 Tour

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

This will be our 97 cruise, but first time to Alaska.  We appreciate if anybody can answer our questions and feel free to give us any advice.

We chose May 25, starting with Princess AB3 tour for three evenings and then on the Majestic for 7 nights.

1-  Do you feel we should get the transfers that Princess offers or do the transfers on our own, if on our own, any idea the cost for the transfers from airport to the Captain Hook hotel?

2- The motor coach is their a bathroom or does the bus makes stops

3- The first evening while at the Hotel Captain Cook, we are on our own for the day, any recommendations on what to see and do

4-  Any recommendation on what we should do while at or stay in McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge while we have free time?

5-  When we are at Denali why additional tours do you recommend for us to take while we have leisure time

6-  On our Denali tour which I read are schoolhouses, do they make time for rest stops?  (5 hours is too much for me to wait to get to the destination lol)

7-  The tour brings us to the Wilderness Rail to Whittier, where we board the ship, I read luggage storage on the train is very limited under our seats, are we able to fit a 26" luggage there?

8-  Please give us recommendations for tours and things to see and do in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, we are. not hikers.

9-  How far is the port in Vancouver to the airport?

Thank you so very much.

23 minutes ago, voljeep said:

2022 or 2023 ?

seriously, there's not a snowballs chance 5/25/2021 will happen in Alaska with a required Canada stop

but , start with this Alaska Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

So sorry, I am with voljeep. I do not foresee Canada opening up any ports, let alone their

borders anytime soon. If I were you, I would begin research for 2022 if Princess has

those up yet. You have really cruised a ton! We love Princess.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

This will be our 97 cruise, but first time to Alaska.  We appreciate if anybody can answer our questions and feel free to give us any advice.

We chose May 25, starting with Princess AB3 tour for three evenings and then on the Majestic for 7 nights.

1-  Do you feel we should get the transfers that Princess offers or do the transfers on our own, if on our own, any idea the cost for the transfers from airport to the Captain Hook hotel?

2- The motor coach is their a bathroom or does the bus makes stops

3- The first evening while at the Hotel Captain Cook, we are on our own for the day, any recommendations on what to see and do

4-  Any recommendation on what we should do while at or stay in McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge while we have free time?

5-  When we are at Denali why additional tours do you recommend for us to take while we have leisure time

6-  On our Denali tour which I read are schoolhouses, do they make time for rest stops?  (5 hours is too much for me to wait to get to the destination lol)

7-  The tour brings us to the Wilderness Rail to Whittier, where we board the ship, I read luggage storage on the train is very limited under our seats, are we able to fit a 26" luggage there?

8-  Please give us recommendations for tours and things to see and do in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, we are. not hikers.

9-  How far is the port in Vancouver to the airport?

Thank you so very much.

There is virtually no chance of this cruise actually sailing.  Also, any information on tours, restaurants, hotels, etc. is now of little validity as so much is changed so little point in gathering info.

12 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

6-  On our Denali tour which I read are schoolbuses, do they make time for rest stops?  (5 hours is too much for me to wait to get to the destination lol)

I was on a different tour, but some of your questions can be answered by my posts at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1656270-details-of-the-tour-part-of-a-princess-alaska-cruisetour/

I understand that the train cars used now are different that the ones used then, but I would not expect the storage under the seat to be any better than what I show. Definitely not for a 26" case. That size case would be transported by Princess from one location to the next.

Also I understand that the snack on the Denali tour is improved from what we had.

Yes, there are sufficient rest stops on the bus for the Denali tour.

We are on this same cruise, and I agree with other posters - I just don't see this one sailing.  And even on the extremely slim change that it does, masks would be required the whole time - and probably testing.  No thanks.  Our final payment date is coming up, but I doubt we hear an announcement by then.  I'm already looking at 2022 AK cruises so we can transfer over - probably September 2022.  This would be our 6th to AK - our favorite for sure.  As for the ports, flightseeing in Ketchikan is simply amazing!  An excursion to George Inlet Lodge for crab feast is another favorite.  For Skagway, the train is a must.  I'd have to look back at my notes for Juneau, but there are lots of good options there, too. Best wishes to all on these boards!  I think we are all JUST OVER IT. 

Hi CruiseGirl6,

We took a Princess cruisetour to Alaska in 2011 and plan another for 2022.  I looked at your choice.  My "opinion" (only), if possible choose a longer land tour.  You will have very little relaxing time on your own.  It takes a long time to travel between places.  We plan to spend 2 days at each stop with no set excursion planned.  The hotels do have excursions to offer or ranger talks and other entertainment.  Another choice we made is a smaller ship (albeit older) the Sapphire rather than the new large one Majestic.  You have your own reasons for choosing that ship, I'm sure.

The rides on buses and trains were enjoyable and informative although long.  I believe both modes of transportation are equipped with restrooms.  They can stuff that 26" suitcase under the bus.  Carry your medicines, camera, book, whatever you need with you in a large purse or smaller carry on bag (zippered rather than open on top).

The Natural History Tour (?) to Denali was on a schoolbus.  I have heard others say that has been upgraded.  There were sufficient restroom stops (from an old lady who goes often).  The provided snack was not enough to curb your hunger.  We had extra granola bars (husband diabetic), and I read that someone took sandwiches from SubWay across the street on the bus trip.  We plan to check that out this time 2022.

From the Mt McKinley hotel, catch the shuttle bus to Talkeetna.  We LOVED that little town.  We walked and ate twice in locally owned restaurants and took a flight tour.  Disappointed not to see the top.  Excuse to go back.

Juneau - we plan to go whale watching (did not go first time); I would like to see Mendenhall glacier; I enjoyed it greatly first time.

Skagway - walk around town

Ketchikan  - totem bight state park (again); I really enjoyed it the first time.  Not so the LunberJack Show; will skip that.

Take layers, with hats, scarfs, gloves, sunglasses, warm pants.  It can be cold or record hot.  Our first purchase in Alaska was a hat for my husband who forgot to pack his, and he always wears a hat.  HA!  We have had people in Germany follow us around because of that hat and start a conversation.  He always packs his Alaska hat no matter where we travel because it is such a conversation starter.

Arrive a day early in your first town, so you have some time with jet lag and get rest.  Use EzAir from Princess.  We take the transfers, but I am sure there are plenty of taxis.  I have not priced them.

Do not try to do it ALL.  That will give you an excuse to come back.

Enjoy.  I am so looking forward to our Alaska 2022 cruisetour.

I have very little to add - but 97th cruise?????  Wow!  We have done 9, so you know far more about cruising than we do.  We are booked for Alaska Aug 2022, for our first Alaska cruise.  But we did live in Anchorage in the early 90s, and when we went on the Denali tour back then, there were a couple stops on the bus tour for photo taking etc, and I recall 2 stops that had basic facilities.  That was over 25 years ago, so I would hope things are even more convenient and upgraded by now.

Don

Edited by Mud_Shark

11 hours ago, georgiacat said:

We plan to spend 2 days at each stop

I agree with that thought.

If you only have one night at a lodge, it means you arrive in the afternoon and leave the next morning leaving very little time to actually do anything.

With two nights at a lodge you do have one full day to enjoy what you can do there.

We just booked this same trip but we did the CB3.  We have a group going and were supposed to go this May on Coral.  I was pretty bummed that we lost that ship but we can't wait to get this bucket list item checked off!!!  I think it is Skagway but there is one stop where you can rent a Jeep with a preprogrammed GPS that takes you to a lot of great spots and you can move at your own pace.  Whale Watching is also at the top of my list of things to do!!