Canada bans cruising until March 2022

HaveWeMetYet

From the article you linked: "Transport Minister Omar Alghabra can rescind the order if pandemic conditions improve"

Infection rates 30% down globally, 44% down in the US, per WHO.  Haven't heard anything about our Fall Canada cruise being canceled; my speculation is that the cruise lines are working on negotiations and holding out hope.

https://disrn.com/news/data-shows-covid-19-infection-rates-are-in-free-fall-around-the-world

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

From the article you linked: "Transport Minister Omar Alghabra can rescind the order if pandemic conditions improve"

Infection rates 30% down globally, 44% down in the US, per WHO.  Haven't heard anything about our Fall Canada cruise being canceled; my speculation is that the cruise lines are working on negotiations and holding out hope.

https://disrn.com/news/data-shows-covid-19-infection-rates-are-in-free-fall-around-the-world

Well, not to be too Captain Obvious about it, but the reason infection rates have fallen so much is because they climbed so much from the Thanksgiving through New Year's period, where folks failed to social distance themselves.  It's like being glad you got that coat for 44% off after the store jacked up the price by tripling it.

I do hope, however, that the trend continues, but they have a lot further to fall before we get back to the rates experienced in June, for example.

• Like 3

Why?  Temporarily removing a barrier that can assist in helping the cruise industry restart.  People can now visit Disney, all inclusive resorts and other vacation spots, why not cruise ships?  Cruise lines can put in place the same precautions as land based resorts.  By suspending the operational stop in a non-US port requirement would help the USA economy in areas that relay on travel dollars to support their local citizens and businesses, in this case Alaska and Washington.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JMAE said:

Why?  Temporarily removing a barrier that can assist in helping the cruise industry restart.  People can now visit Disney, all inclusive resorts and other vacation spots, why not cruise ships?  Cruise lines can put in place the same precautions as land based resorts.  By suspending the operational stop in a non-US port requirement would help the USA economy in areas that relay on travel dollars to support their local citizens and businesses, in this case Alaska and Washington.  

It would take federal legislation to make an exemption to the Jones Act in this case.  Nobody's going to sponsor such a bill in the current environment, especially since it's unlikely any cruises will happen before Q4 anyway (after the Alaska cruise season has ended).

• Like 3

Many temporary law changes have been put in place to deal with COVID.  Their have been over 40 EO since 1/21/21, most in history.  This would allow cruises to nowhere from any post along with cruises to Alaska and Hawaii.

It's not just the Canadian cruise ban, which has put certainty that cruises to AK won't happen this summer.  There are also state and local regulations to abide by.  Alaska has some pretty strict requirements for out-of-state travelers. 

Outbreak-Health-Order-No-6-lnternational-and-Interstate-Travel.pdf (alaska.gov)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JMAE said:

If they can start cruising, I think the USA should suspend the operation stop requirement in a non-USA port for a year.  Also, I think they should allow cruises to nowhere again.  

The PVSA has never prevented cruises to nowhere.  So I think more future “nowhere” cruises are always a possibility.  

And I think there is a bit of overreaction in this thread.  According to the article, the Canadian minister of transport “can rescind the ban if the pandemic situation improves enough to allow the resumption of cruising.”  So we will see how the rollout of all the various approved vaccines looks by this summer.  Also, the price of Carnival stock is up strongly so far today, so the markets don’t seem think this Canadian announcement is particularly bad news for Carnival.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Anyone know when they start to open up 2023 Alaska cruises?

It seems to me they'd be wise to do that as soon as possible. I imagine a good number if people would just rebook for 2023. (Though I'm sure the rebook and get cancelled again routine is getting pretty old for many people by now too)

15 hours ago, diverdon48371 said:

I was on a Alaskan cruise that ran late heading for Victoria, we still pulled up to the dock, but no one could get off. Maybe that is a option?

That would still be in Canadian waters, even if you the "pull up to the dock" thing was still legit, which I don't think it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It seems to me they'd be wise to do that as soon as possible. I imagine a good number if people would just rebook for 2023. (Though I'm sure the rebook and get cancelled again routine is getting pretty old for many people by now too)

Yeah I'm looking at 2022 to rebook mine but I think I'd like to get in on 2023 right when they release it.

31 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

The PVSA has never prevented cruises to nowhere.  So I think more future “nowhere” cruises are always a possibility.  

Correct.  It just requires the crew to be fully compliant with legality of working in the US.  Which is expensive and time consuming to get all those visas (if they can even be granted in sufficient quantities), and cruise lines would not be able to afford to offer it at current ticketing prices.

Oh, and the crew would have to be paid at the federal minimum wage - another increase to be passed on.

It is effectively impossible given the financial and logistical hurdles.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JMAE said:

Many temporary law changes have been put in place to deal with COVID.  Their have been over 40 EO since 1/21/21, most in history.  This would allow cruises to nowhere from any post along with cruises to Alaska and Hawaii.

The Jones Act is not within the power of the president to modify by EO.

• Thanks 1

Even if Canada decides halfway through the typical Alaska cruise season to open up to large passenger ships, what will be available in Alaska for tourists? Can the shops that have survived up until now make enough money in a few months to staff and merchandise? Can tour operators salvage profits from half a season to survive another year? This couldn’t be worse news for the Alaskan tourism industry. 

When we rebooked, we decided 2021 was probably a no-go. We rebooked for March 2022, and booked an alaska cruise thru NCL for may 2022. (40th anniversary, yikes!!) I wanted to try a different line, and wanted to cruise Glacier Bay. Lets hope the lines can stay solvent until then. 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:59 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Interesting. Will they ban Canadians from traveling to other countries to cruise and vacation as well? What about flights? If not, it seems pretty self serving and hypocritical. Also bias against the cruise industry.

Umm, our Canadian government has recommended that Canadians DO NOT travel internationally.  Self serving, yes because that is what is helping our country and citizens remain as safe as possible. It is not at all biased toward the cruise industry.  Covid requires everyone to do their part.  As much as I love to cruise, we are doing what is right. If it is not essential, stay home. Those that choose to travel despite being advised not to, do so at their own peril. That is self-serving.

Edited by stoddaj1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, Shih-tzu said:

I know it's a regulation for ships to have to stop in a "foreign" country, but based on the circumstances could the US not make a temporary exemption in this case in order to help with the Alaskan economy?   

Only foreign flagged ships. At least one company is planning on Alaska cruises in 2021.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24327-uncruise-alaska-here-we-come.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could see a 6 month extension on the cruise ship ban so they would perhaps have a chance for the fall season but going all the way to March of 2022 when they cant know what will happen in the next 6 months seems a bit much.  Even the protocols here are only two to three weeks at a time to evaluate if conditions are improved.  We have now tied our reopening phases to the number of hospitalizations.  Once each new level is reached it will be followed a week later with an increase in allowable activities as long as trend is still downward over that week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:44 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, not to be too Captain Obvious about it, but the reason infection rates have fallen so much is because they climbed so much from the Thanksgiving through New Year's period, where folks failed to social distance themselves.  It's like being glad you got that coat for 44% off after the store jacked up the price by tripling it.

I do hope, however, that the trend continues, but they have a lot further to fall before we get back to the rates experienced in June, for example.

I'm sure that's PART of the decrease.  Another, from that article, is "Several health experts are postulating that the decrease in transmission may also be the result of far more people having had the virus than previously thought."

Also, CA is at 1/3 the December cases -- wasn't it in lockdown in November and December?  Except, of course, the governor (who is now suffering for his "mistake" https://recallgavin2020.com/).  I don't think that could explain the full decrease.  But I'm not an epidemiologist so it's speculation.

It's interesting to me that the states (and district) with cases on the upswing -- (which are Alabama, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia) -- have some of the strictest lockdowns in place [AL and OK excepted].  I like statistics over emotions, and I found that one interesting.  Certainly could be a lot of different reasons for it.

There is a natural tendency for viruses to weaken over time.  That's our best hope for this one.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, JMAE said:

Canadian ports are not happy about this.  Nova Scotia has some of the strictest quarantine requirements in the country but those in Halifax who run small businesses that rely on cruise visitors are desperate.  Even Canadians have to quarantine for 14 days if we visit.   

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, gtalum said:

Yes, it would take legislation to make an exemption in this case and nobody's going to sponsor such a bill in the current climate, especially considering that the likelihood of any major cruising happening in the US before Q4 or even into Q1 2022 is so low.

There actually already is one exception and that is if your ship flies an American flag. There is only one ship left flying an American flag and that is Norwegian's Pride of America that does the Hawaii run.

Either way you are all correct, it is EXTREMELY unlikely any change will be made in any case.

Here's to an early return to sailing!

Cheers Ya'll