The Daily for Friday Feb 5, 2021

richwmn

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  I think showering with a friend is on hold for now.  I'll pass on the bubble gum but salute our weathermen.  Oh, how true on the quote.  Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup sounds great.  My alternate suggestion is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Strawberry Crisp (China New Year) as served on MS Prinsendam February 5 2019:

Your alternate suggestion sounds absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

More great news, Harriet, the SE Florida Eagle Mom has accepted the two eaglets back with no issues! Woo hoo!

53808F7C-3F38-4A40-8F31-E6BF5A5A8D6C.jpeg

Oh, good, I've been out all morning.  I'll have a look now.  I was afraid they were going to go hungry...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, bdrcole said:

Good morning.  Maybe the Ground Hogs are correct this year.  I just saw a Robin in our backyard which is not typical at this time of the year.  Maybe it knows that non essential travel is not advised and did not want to take any chances with a border crossing.   Or it wants to give me some hope for an early spring.  It sure looked healthy and well fed.

Ok, I think the Groundhog & the Robin are just messing with me.  Here is what we are looking to receive overnight on Sunday in Nova Scotia.

image.png.8b3fcd059c40abce4bdc35d8a3cac100.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

What a combo of days. Both meal suggestions sound good and for once I’m making Roy’s suggestion. Before Thanksgiving I purchased a frozen turkey roulade with stuffing wrapped in puff pastry at Trader Joe’s. At the time I wasn’t sure what we were going to do so bought it as a just in case meal. It was taking up too much space in the freezer so yesterday I put it in the fridge to defrost. It will be an easy meal tonight. 

My Mom is plugging away and hopefully her nasogastric tube will come out today. DD is feeling better too. 

I knew our September Canada/New England cruise would be canceled given the slow rollout of the vaccine so I’m not surprised with the news yesterday. I’m disappointed but we have our Holiday cruise to look forward to. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 12

I just want to thank Rich, Roy, our ‘drink ladies’ and everyone who contributes to this wonderful thread. There are a number of really toxic threads on this board right now. Having a safe, positive, friendly space full of quotes, menus, recipes, memories, and pictures of past travels and hatching eaglets is such a blessing! The Daily isn’t just a thread - it’s a lifeline!

• Like 21

24 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I just want to thank Rich, Roy, our ‘drink ladies’ and everyone who contributes to this wonderful thread. There are a number of really toxic threads on this board right now. Having a safe, positive, friendly space full of quotes, menus, recipes, memories, and pictures of past travels and hatching eaglets is such a blessing! The Daily isn’t just a thread - it’s a lifeline!

I have to agree, Laura.  I can only say, I hope I never cruise with some of those toxic posters. 

• Like 9

On the Westerdam a year ago today, our shore excursion group got together and waited for word of when we’d be able to leave.  Instead we got a announcement from the Captain that we will have to leave the port, as it’s closing to all cruise ships.  The Chinese ship that sailed in and out yesterday, had sick passengers onboard.  So the next stops in Taiwan are all cancelled, too.  There’s still hope that we might be able to go to Japan,  so Shore Excursions are busy selling tours.  We’ve already heard that South Korea is canceled.

• Like 11

On February 5, 2019, the Prinsendam paid a visit to Hope Bay near the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula.  The Crystal Symphony had been there 3 years earlier on February 3.  There are a couple of bases there; the primary one is Esperanza, an Argentine base:

esperanza.jpg

Not far away there was a second base.  It was originally British but has been run by Uruguay since 1977:

uruguay.jpg

Also close by was Hope Glacier.  My better picture came from the Crystal Symphony:

hopeglacier.jpg

Adeile penguins were crammed very tightly in the Hope Bay area:

adelie.jpg

The water was very clear and when we got close to icebergs we could see much of the ice beneath the water:

underwater.jpg

Late in the morning we attempted to pass through the space between the Northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula and Anderson Island into the Weddell Sea but were blocked by ice, including a huge tabular iceberg:

bigberg.jpg

We were unable to proceed but the crew did decide this would be a good photo op for Prinsendam's final voyage to Antarctica.  I think I will find the photo later.

Meanwhile, on the Crystal Symphony on February 5, 2016, after cancellation of the visit by Palmer Scientists, we got a first hand look at how conditions in Antarctica can change as we got into the midst of a huge ice flow.  Under guidance from our ice pilots we carefully worked our way out of the flow at a leisurely 2 knots:

icy2.jpg

Roy

• Like 16

2 hours ago, bdrcole said:

Ok, I think the Groundhog & the Robin are just messing with me.  Here is what we are looking to receive overnight on Sunday in Nova Scotia.

image.png.8b3fcd059c40abce4bdc35d8a3cac100.png

Patience grasshopper.  Spring will come.  

As long as it’s snow and not freezing rain, I’m ok with it (and yes we are on the map 😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

My Mom is plugging away and hopefully her nasogastric tube will come out today. DD is feeling better too. 

That is wonderful news.  So happy to hear it 👍 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

What a combo of days. Both meal suggestions sound good and for once I’m making Roy’s suggestion. Before Thanksgiving I purchased a frozen turkey roulade with stuffing wrapped in puff pastry at Trader Joe’s. At the time I wasn’t sure what we were going to do so bought it as a just in case meal. It was taking up too much space in the freezer so yesterday I put it in the fridge to defrost. It will be an easy meal tonight. 

I knew our September Canada/New England cruise would be canceled given the slow rollout of the vaccine so I’m not surprised with the news yesterday. I’m disappointed but we have our Holiday cruise to look forward to. 

Have a great day everyone!

Glad your mother and DD are both doing better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I spoke with my DM a bit ago and the nasogastric tube is out and she even got jello and broth for dinner!  Yay!  She says her throat feels so much better without the tube.  

Thank you everyone for your prayers and concerns, it means so much. 

Wonderful news!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I spoke with my DM a bit ago and the nasogastric tube is out and she even got jello and broth for dinner!  Yay!  She says her throat feels so much better without the tube.  

That is great news.  Will keep praying for you all . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

How wonderful for her, you & your entire family, Sharon!

• Like 1