Everyone share a vacation idea besides cruising

Kentucky816

23 minutes ago, honeybunches said:

I love this thread.  Have wanted to do something else, particularly an AI in Mexico, just didn't know where to start.  

AI's are great, have had some fabulous times. Like on a cruise ship you can do as much/little as you want.

Entertainment ✔️

Plenty of Food/Beverages ✔️

Bigger pools ✔️

Beaches ✔️

Activities✔️

Swim-up Bars ( not on a cruise ship)

Larger Room ✔️ ( Some come with liquor/beer included)

• Like 2

Due to cancelled cruises last year ended up in Vegas 4 times instead of my usual one or two trips a year. We did a lot of day trips and overnights at Laughlin and Zion. Booked our 8 day Memorial Day vacation. Will be going to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Lassen Volcanic National Parks, plus whatever else I find of interest in the area. Have a Labor Day cruise booked but already planning to go to hot air balloon festival in New Mexico in Oct as backup ifcancelled.. Will still have a week of vacation left. Have never done an AI but its looking and sounding worth considering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Due to cancelled cruises last year ended up in Vegas 4 times instead of my usual one or two trips a year. We did a lot of day trips and overnights at Laughlin and Zion. Booked our 8 day Memorial Day vacation. Will be going to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Lassen Volcanic National Parks, plus whatever else I find of interest in the area. Have a Labor Day cruise booked but already planning to go to hot air balloon festival in New Mexico in Oct as backup ifcancelled.. Will still have a week of vacation left. Have never done an AI but its looking and sounding worth considering.

We're REALLY hoping the Gov opens us back up to 50% soon.  Town is really struggling.  We've got friends in hospitality and it's been tough for going on a year now.  Vegas is a great place to jump off from to do trips here in the SW.

• Like 1

We live in Wyoming so we spent several long weekends last summer just driving/camping in different places around the state. It's hard to travel further away with all of the restrictions.

Were going to go to Puerto Vallarta next week for Valentine's Day but we decided we're not comfortable traveling internationally yet, so we're planning a 'staycation'.

Some time early summer 2021 we'll be doing a road trip to Michigan to pick up a new puppy. Hoping to turn that into somewhat of a vacation experience. It would be really great if MLB games were an option! We might also road trip to Oregon/Northern California in the summer to visit some national parks.

I've been itching to plan an actual vacation but after cancelling several, I'm just daydreaming about what we can do 'someday'. Good news is our vacation account continues to build up and we can hopefully do something really great in 2022!

• Like 1

Since covid, the only trips I've been on have been ones where I could stay away from people. Camping and boating, hiking, and beach trips are great options (preferably if you can go by car). 

In October, I'm going to Hawaii. Hoping that most of the population will be vaccinated by then, but I'll still be able to stay isolated from others if need be. 

In 2022, I'd like to get back to traveling internationally. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We are headed to an AI in Cancun first week of May. Narrowing it down now but leaning towards Royalton Chic. The Diamond Club is calling my name. 
We will take an excursion day over to Isla Mujeres. 

That one must be REALLY new.

BD1-F817-E-74-BF-40-BE-BF10-9-E49973-FC3

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are lucky as we own an RV permanantly at a resort just 45 min from home for the summer, so every weekend from late April to Late October is a mini vacation and we usually stay the whole week of July 4th.

Last year we got to cruise just before the COVID shutdown but that was it with the exception of the RV.  We cancelled our yearly week vacation with the extended family.

We had a cruise for last October and one for January 21 cancelled, and have cruises still booked for October and November of this year but I am not very confident they will sail.

For this summer our Son-in-Law has booked a house on the NC Outer Banks for our extended family summer vacation.

And not to be hosed out of a winter getaway for next winter we have booked a 10 day stay at the new Margaritaville Resort in Cancun for January 2022.

For our anniversary this year which would have normally been a cruise, we booked an upper floor balcony on the beach in Melbourne Fl. Three days just looking at the beach and the water, but it paled in comparison to a cruise. Just to taunt me, I found that all three Disney cruise ships were anchored offshore and visible from the balcony.  

For Spring break this year we are headed to Key West. Some Scuba diving at John Pennekamp, a couple days on Duval Street and exploring the everglades. It is still not a cruise though, I almost want to just put the money away and wait until it can be a cruise. I lost over 100 hours of vacation in 2020 because I did not take it. 

19 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We are headed to an AI in Cancun first week of May. Narrowing it down now but leaning towards Royalton Chic. The Diamond Club is calling my name. 
We will take an excursion day over to Isla Mujeres. 

We looked into these, but my family hates the idea of having to get a covid test to come back and what happens if it is positive. I did hear that some resorts are covid testing onsite though in Mexico and no test is needed to go, just one to come back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, asalligo said:

We looked into these, but my family hates the idea of having to get a covid test to come back and what happens if it is positive. I did hear that some resorts are covid testing onsite though in Mexico and no test is needed to go, just one to come back. 

You stay there and quarantine up to 10 days for free.

• Like 2

Where is a good place to stay in Key West for a week?  I have never been there, on the 1 cruise I took that stopped there 18 years ago I had the flu and had to stay in my room (close to the bathroom). I would love to take my 2 adult sons there and just rebook my cruise for next year.

6 minutes ago, honeybunches said:

Where is a good place to stay in Key West for a week?  I have never been there, on the 1 cruise I took that stopped there 18 years ago I had the flu and had to stay in my room (close to the bathroom). I would love to take my 2 adult sons there and just rebook my cruise for next year.

Depends how much you want to spend and how long you are staying..

We stayed in Marathon about half way down and did day trips to KW, Up to Key Largo and Islamorda.

4 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Really?, that would be a very cool perk. 

Yeah. This is from one of the places I'm considering (RIU Palace Las Americas):

"On January 12, 2021, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the requirements for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. 

In addition to our safety measures already in place, and effective January 26th, our guests will now be able to take the COVID-19 antigen test on site, before returning to the U.S. at no additional cost for all adults and children. This service is available at all our resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and Punta Cana and will be provided by an accredited medical testing lab that complies with the requirements of the CDC.

Test results will be received within 72 hours prior to departure as required by the CDC, in written and/or electronic format. Guests should contact the Front Desk / Customer Service at each resort upon arrival to schedule departure testing.

In the unlikely event that a guest has been tested positive to COVID-19 during their stay, Riu Hotels will provide an extension at no cost of up to 10 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus travel companions sharing the same room. "

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah. This is from one of the places I'm considering (RIU Palace Las Americas):

"On January 12, 2021, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the requirements for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. 

In addition to our safety measures already in place, and effective January 26th, our guests will now be able to take the COVID-19 antigen test on site, before returning to the U.S. at no additional cost for all adults and children. This service is available at all our resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and Punta Cana and will be provided by an accredited medical testing lab that complies with the requirements of the CDC.

Test results will be received within 72 hours prior to departure as required by the CDC, in written and/or electronic format. Guests should contact the Front Desk / Customer Service at each resort upon arrival to schedule departure testing.

In the unlikely event that a guest has been tested positive to COVID-19 during their stay, Riu Hotels will provide an extension at no cost of up to 10 days. Extended stay due to quarantine includes the guest plus travel companions sharing the same room. "

Nice! Checking them out now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

Nice! Checking them out now. 

I also believe all Playa and AMResorts properties are doing the same thing. At least in the Dominican. Free testing on site and free accommodations if anyone tests positive for themselves +1. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to get away.  My family and friends look at me like I'm crazy. But I have to get away every few months or I'll go coo coo for coco puffs.  

June 2020 - a 4 night stay in Pensacola Beach, FL turned into 6 nights. As the date got closer we kept adding a day. Mind you we were supposed to be in MAUI that week celebrating my 50th. So we said no limits in Pensacola. Spend whatever, eat whatever and do whatever. We're going to break the bank.  It was so relaxing. We didn't get near to breaking the bank. We found this fresh fish joint, Joe Patti's and purchased a bunch of fish and shrimp to bring home.  We said that's the excuse we're going to use to go back. LOL! 

October 2020 -  Flew to Orlando for a week at Disney World w/ the Mouse. BEST WDW TRIP EVER!! Low crowds, short lines, pool space, restaurant space and clean, clean, clean.  I'm a part time germaphobe so I loved all the cleaning.  DVC owners were dumping points like crazy so we stayed at Old Key West for little to nothing. We'll never see those low prices again. 

January 2021 - We flew into Nashville, drove to Knoxville to see the Lady Vols play the UCONN Huskies. OMG great game!! We took care of business in Nashville and drove up to Louisville to check on the MIL. 

February 2021 - Flying to Sedona, AZ and the Grand Canyon at the end of the month. 

Spring 2021 - DH wants to go to Cedar Point. We'll see because I want to go to the beach. LOL!

Summer 2021 - probably back to Pensacola. Maybe an AI in the Dominican Republic, we've been looking at one of the Majestic Resorts.

Fall 2021 - Maybe an AI in Mexico. We've been looking at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya.

Happy vacationing everyone. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I also believe all Playa and AMResorts properties are doing the same thing. At least in the Dominican. Free testing on site and free accommodations if anyone tests positive for themselves +1. 

I think most of the Cancun properties are all doing the same thing.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I actually was excited to book this at RIU, I could get an oceanfront suite and save about $1000 over my Key West Trip, but my family does not want to take a Covid test. Not even a free one. They would rather go to Key West. 

1 hour ago, cynt said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to get away.  My family and friends look at me like I'm crazy. But I have to get away every few months or I'll go coo coo for coco puffs.  

June 2020 - a 4 night stay in Pensacola Beach, FL turned into 6 nights. As the date got closer we kept adding a day. Mind you we were supposed to be in MAUI that week celebrating my 50th. So we said no limits in Pensacola. Spend whatever, eat whatever and do whatever. We're going to break the bank.  It was so relaxing. We didn't get near to breaking the bank. We found this fresh fish joint, Joe Patti's and purchased a bunch of fish and shrimp to bring home.  We said that's the excuse we're going to use to go back. LOL! 

October 2020 -  Flew to Orlando for a week at Disney World w/ the Mouse. BEST WDW TRIP EVER!! Low crowds, short lines, pool space, restaurant space and clean, clean, clean.  I'm a part time germaphobe so I loved all the cleaning.  DVC owners were dumping points like crazy so we stayed at Old Key West for little to nothing. We'll never see those low prices again. 

January 2021 - We flew into Nashville, drove to Knoxville to see the Lady Vols play the UCONN Huskies. OMG great game!! We took care of business in Nashville and drove up to Louisville to check on the MIL. 

February 2021 - Flying to Sedona, AZ and the Grand Canyon at the end of the month. 

Spring 2021 - DH wants to go to Cedar Point. We'll see because I want to go to the beach. LOL!

Summer 2021 - probably back to Pensacola. Maybe an AI in the Dominican Republic, we've been looking at one of the Majestic Resorts.

Fall 2021 - Maybe an AI in Mexico. We've been looking at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya.

Happy vacationing everyone. 

Just an FYI Cedar Point has a nice beach and other beaches in the area. Plus you have 2 popular islands Put-in-Bay and Kelly's Island.

LOL we are a " tourist" area.

• Like 1