Everyone share a vacation idea besides cruising

Kentucky816

4 hours ago, cynt said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to get away.  My family and friends look at me like I'm crazy. But I have to get away every few months or I'll go coo coo for coco puffs.  

June 2020 - a 4 night stay in Pensacola Beach, FL turned into 6 nights. As the date got closer we kept adding a day. Mind you we were supposed to be in MAUI that week celebrating my 50th. So we said no limits in Pensacola. Spend whatever, eat whatever and do whatever. We're going to break the bank.  It was so relaxing. We didn't get near to breaking the bank. We found this fresh fish joint, Joe Patti's and purchased a bunch of fish and shrimp to bring home.  We said that's the excuse we're going to use to go back. LOL! 

October 2020 -  Flew to Orlando for a week at Disney World w/ the Mouse. BEST WDW TRIP EVER!! Low crowds, short lines, pool space, restaurant space and clean, clean, clean.  I'm a part time germaphobe so I loved all the cleaning.  DVC owners were dumping points like crazy so we stayed at Old Key West for little to nothing. We'll never see those low prices again. 

January 2021 - We flew into Nashville, drove to Knoxville to see the Lady Vols play the UCONN Huskies. OMG great game!! We took care of business in Nashville and drove up to Louisville to check on the MIL. 

February 2021 - Flying to Sedona, AZ and the Grand Canyon at the end of the month. 

Spring 2021 - DH wants to go to Cedar Point. We'll see because I want to go to the beach. LOL!

Summer 2021 - probably back to Pensacola. Maybe an AI in the Dominican Republic, we've been looking at one of the Majestic Resorts.

Fall 2021 - Maybe an AI in Mexico. We've been looking at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya.

Happy vacationing everyone. 

Wow !  👍🏻

8 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Depends how much you want to spend and how long you are staying..

We stayed in Marathon about half way down and did day trips to KW, Up to Key Largo and Islamorda.

We just stayed a week oceanside in Islamorada but explored the entire chain all the way to KW on a long day trip.  Sunsets at Lorelei's are the bomb.  

12 hours ago, asalligo said:

We looked into these, but my family hates the idea of having to get a covid test to come back and what happens if it is positive. I did hear that some resorts are covid testing onsite though in Mexico and no test is needed to go, just one to come back. 

Exactly what Saint Greg said... you quarantine at the resort for free. They bring you food and drink and you get a longer, very private stay in Mexico. 

• Like 1

Since we're getting our 2nd doses within the next 2 weeks, we decided last night to head back to Destin, FL for the 4th time this summer.  We rent a condo on the beach.  Cruises are out for us for a while until we see how the new rules/regulations work for cruising.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:08 AM, asalligo said:

We looked into these, but my family hates the idea of having to get a covid test to come back and what happens if it is positive. I did hear that some resorts are covid testing onsite though in Mexico and no test is needed to go, just one to come back. 

That's kinda the line we have drawn.  Not leaving the country until things ease up.  Just a personal decision.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:11 PM, MeganGC1983 said:

Exactly what Saint Greg said... you quarantine at the resort for free. They bring you food and drink and you get a longer, very private stay in Mexico. 

Although that would be nice, I am not sure I could get away with an extra 10 days from work. That might cost me my job. Oh, did I mention that I have no intention of telling my work about a real vacation for a long time. What did you do for a week? Nothing, just a good old staycation at home.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Although that would be nice, I am not sure I could get away with an extra 10 days from work. That might cost me my job. Oh, did I mention that I have no intention of telling my work about a real vacation for a long time. What did you do for a week? Nothing, just a good old staycation at home.  

Well that's maximum and the test could be 72 hours prior. So you could be 3 days into your recovery. The way I look at it is at most it would be me taking a second week off which I have the vacation time to do if I had to take it. My work probably wouldn't like it but if it's because I have COVID, they will understand. They don't have to know where I got it. I would have my laptop with me and be able to "work from home" during the quarantine.

I work with a guy who was out for six weeks because he got into an accident just before christmas and his wife got covid.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, asalligo said:

I don’t think anyone is telling anyone about any trips. We went to New Orleans in August for my birthday, and the most I did was post on here, drunkenly, about where the cruise ships should be. IF you get Covid, you get Covid. Is your work going to make you come in if you get Covid at Walmart? In the words of Tina Turner “What’s (Mexico) got to do, got to do with it?!” 🙃

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I don’t think anyone is telling anyone about any trips. We went to New Orleans in August for my birthday, and the most I did was post on here, drunkenly, about where the cruise ships should be. IF you get Covid, you get Covid. Is your work going to make you come in if you get Covid at Walmart? In the words of Tina Turner “What’s (Mexico) got to do, got to do with it?!” 🙃

We are banned from international travel at work. For that matter, even across state lines. No use in saying that is not legal or they have no authority, someone would have to fight it to get that declared officially. I have travelled though, I just do not tell anyone.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

We are banned from international travel at work. For that matter, even across state lines. No use in saying that is not legal or they have no authority, someone would have to fight it to get that declared officially. I have travelled though, I just do not tell anyone.  

My husband’s job all summer and fall as before every shift a bunch of Covid questions including “Have you been on a cruise in the last 2 weeks?”. It made him so mad because not only had he not but NO ONE had cruised because cruises weren’t happening. Still aren’t. ☹️

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, rs45thompson said:

Which resort?  I was looking at all inclusives but I don't really know much about them.  I heard Rui Palace was good  and I heard Sandal's was okay.

Are you looking for a family or adults only property?  I can suggest some places for you.  I have been to over a dozen different properties over the years in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR.  Stay away from Sandals, they priced themselves way too high about 20 years ago.  Much better value places in Mexico and the DR.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Are you looking for a family or adults only property?  I can suggest some places for you.  I have been to over a dozen different properties over the years in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR.  Stay away from Sandals, they priced themselves way too high about 20 years ago.  Much better value places in Mexico and the DR.

We have decided on Mexico, a family resort please.  Thank you!

11 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

We have decided on Mexico, a family resort please.  Thank you!

No problem.  Are you interested in Cancun, which would be more of city type situation, or more of a jungle type, which would be further south or slightly north of Cancun.  The basic difference is that if you choose Cancun you can easily go into town or go shopping.  If you choose the resorts north or south, you are primarily stuck at that resort unless you decide to go on an excursion.  There is no right or wrong answer and there are pros and cons to whichever your choice is. 

Let me know which way you're leaning and I will come up with suggestions either way.  Also, how many in your party, how long of a stay, what dates, where are you flying from and ball park budget.  Love doing this stuff.  Vacationing, especially during times like this is what keeps you sane.  Let me know.

Just pulled the trigger on an eight night stay in the DR at the adults only Excellence Punta Cana for June. They had a 45 million dollar renovation back in 2017 and the place looks great.  The promotion I booked was the second best deal I ever got.  The only one better was back in 2010 during the H1N1 scare and we got a BOGO deal at Secrets Silversands.

Edited by SNJCruisers

39 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

No problem.  Are you interested in Cancun, which would be more of city type situation, or more of a jungle type, which would be further south or slightly north of Cancun.  The basic difference is that if you choose Cancun you can easily go into town or go shopping.  If you choose the resorts north or south, you are primarily stuck at that resort unless you decide to go on an excursion.  There is no right or wrong answer and there are pros and cons to whichever your choice is. 

Let me know which way you're leaning and I will come up with suggestions either way.  Also, how many in your party, how long of a stay, what dates, where are you flying from and ball park budget.  Love doing this stuff.  Vacationing, especially during times like this is what keeps you sane.  Let me know.

We are planning on doing an all inclusive if our October and November cruises are canceled. It would be the week of November 20. There will be six of us: Me and my husband, my parents, my adult son, and my 14-year-old. We haven’t really talked about a budget, just trying to get a B plan together. I am a huge planner.  We were trying to decide between three different places and we all agreed on Mexico, that’s about as far as we’ve gotten.

4 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

We are planning on doing an all inclusive if our October and November cruises are canceled. It would be the week of November 20. There will be six of us: Me and my husband, my parents, my adult son, and my 14-year-old. We haven’t really talked about a budget, just trying to get a B plan together. I am a huge planner.  We were trying to decide between three different places and we all agreed on Mexico, that’s about as far as we’ve gotten.

I'll put together a handful of places for you to do more research on.  Now that I know it's 3 generations with the youngest being 14, that's a starting point.  I'll get back to you with some suggestions.

Well, the best option I see available at the moment is to take a car and just drive in the direction you see the most close to you. It can be any random city or a village. Just a random road trip sounds very promising and exciting to me.. wish my friends were around to do it with them.. 

36 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'll put together a handful of places for you to do more research on.  Now that I know it's 3 generations with the youngest being 14, that's a starting point.  I'll get back to you with some suggestions.

Thank you so much! You’re always so helpful.

45 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Thank you so much! You’re always so helpful.

Here we go....13 places for you to research.

All of the places I have suggested are rated 4.5/5.0 on TripAdvisor.

Starting north of the Cancun hotel zone...

Dreams Vista Cancun Golf & Spa

Dreams Golf Playa Mujeres

Riu Palace Costa Mujeres

Cancun Hotel Zone

Dreams Sands Cancun

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

Puerto Morelos (Just south of Cancun)

Now Jade Riviera Cancun

Dreams Riviera

Now Sapphire

Azul Beach

Playa del Carmen, Tulum & South   (about a 90 minute plus ride)

Dreams Tulum

Riu Palace Peninsula

Barcelo Maya Palace

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

TripAdvisor is the best place to do your research since there are reviews written about each place and also a list of places to book your stay through.  Once you decide on a place, another place to possibly book through is https://www.allinclusiveoutlet.com They specialize in bundling your location with airfare or just the hotel, but packages are usually cheaper but not always than getting air on your own.  If you have a credit card that covers your bag fees, then booking air on your own is cheaper, otherwise bundling is.  You will not need a car, good transfer companies are USA Transfers and Canada Transfers, the top 2 recommended on TA.  I have used both and they are great. 

Let me know when you decide where you're headed and best of luck with your research.

EDIT....Kalido Travel is another transfer company to check out, slightly cheaper than the above two.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here we go....13 places for you to research.

All of the places I have suggested are rated 4.5/5.0 on TripAdvisor.

Starting north of the Cancun hotel zone...

Dreams Vista Cancun Golf & Spa

Dreams Golf Playa Mujeres

Riu Palace Costa Mujeres

Cancun Hotel Zone

Dreams Sands Cancun

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

Puerto Morelos (Just south of Cancun)

Now Jade Riviera Cancun

Dreams Riviera

Now Sapphire

Azul Beach

Playa del Carmen, Tulum & South   (about a 90 minute plus ride)

Dreams Tulum

Riu Palace Peninsula

Barcelo Maya Palace

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

TripAdvisor is the best place to do your research since there are reviews written about each place and also a list of places to book your stay through.  Once you decide on a place, another place to possibly book through is https://www.allinclusiveoutlet.com They specialize in bundling your location with airfare or just the hotel, but packages are usually cheaper but not always than getting air on your own.  If you have a credit card that covers your bag fees, then booking air on your own is cheaper, otherwise bundling is.  You will not need a car, good transfer companies are USA Transfers and Canada Transfers, the top 2 recommended on TA.  I have used both and they are great. 

Let me know when you decide where you're headed and best of luck with your research.

EDIT....Kalido Travel is another transfer company to check out, slightly cheaper than the above two.

Oh wonderful!  Thank you, I can’t wait to get started.

Explore your state's or nearby states' park system.  Last fall I spent 4 days in a cabin at Roan Mt. State Park in the Cherokee National Forest on the TN/NC border.  Next month I'm spending 4 days in Helen, GA and will visit Unicoi State Park.  Inexpensive and scenic options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

Oh wonderful!  Thank you, I can’t wait to get started.

check out multiple websites. Some have better prices on certain hotels than others. I’m looking at cheap Caribbean, Hotwire, Travelocity, Expedia. Hotwire is really good with add Ons. They have hotel transfers as low as $15 round trip. They have excursions to the Mayan ruins as low as $50..

If you’re looking at hotels away from the hotel zone you may also want to check out planet Hollywood. It just opened like a month ago. It’s another one I’m considering but I don’t know if I want to be away from the hotel zone. They actually have a guys burgers. They have a water park, a lazy River, a flow rider. It seems like they have a lot to do there.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

TripAdvisor is the best place to do your research since there are reviews written about each place and also a list of places to book your stay through. 

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

check out multiple websites. Some have better prices on certain hotels than others. I’m looking at cheap Caribbean, Hotwire, Travelocity, Expedia. Hotwire is really good with add Ons. They have hotel transfers as low as $15 round trip. They have excursions to the Mayan ruins as low as $50..

This is why I suggested TripAdvisor as the best place to start a research comparing sites and gathering information.  There is no need to go to multiple sites because TripAdvisor will have a list from Travelocity, Expedia, etc when you click on a hotel.  For instance, the Hard Rock has 16 different price quotes with one click.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d152896-Reviews-Hard_Rock_Hotel_Cancun-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Cheap Caribbean is not one of them listed on TripAdvisor, but AllInclusiveOutlet is cheaper than Cheap Caribbean for the most part, even using CC's promo codes.