Somewhat Surprising Difference Between How NCL and Oceania Are Approaching The 2021 Alaska Cruise Season

njhorseman

NCL and Oceania have pretty much moved in lockstep when cancelling itineraries. For example today both lines (as well as Regent Seven Seas) cancelled all May cruises.

However NCL and O have taken different paths for the Alaska season past the month of May. A couple of days ago NCL ceased taking new reservations for the remainder of 2021 Alaska season, although it did not actually cancel the cruises, stating they were "exploring several initiatives that may allow such cruises to continue." Presumably a temporary waiver of the PVSA foreign port requirement is among the initiatives being explored.

On the other hand Oceania continues to accept new bookings for the remainder of the 2021 Alaska season, which is solely cruised on the Regatta. Perhaps they believe the relatively small Regatta may have a chance of getting a relaxation of the rules from Canada that would permit the ship in Canadian waters, which gives it another path in addition to a PVSA waiver that would allow the Alaska season to proceed.

I will go out on a limb (very little risk) and say "there will be no 2021 Alaska cruise season" except for a few very small vessels that are allowed under the current rules.  Why?   Canada is not going to "relax" their rules for a few ships.  And there is also the issue of the current CDC Guidelines which have completely blocked all US Ocean cruises.   Those Guidelines are onerous and so far, no cruise line has done much to get through the CDC approval process (approval is not guaranteed).  

Although I do personally favor a PVSA waiver or better yet, an amendment to the Law, that is not going to happen.  Congress is too busy calling each other names, worrying about renaming things, impeaching folks, trying to get money to their friends, etc.  They are not going to do real work (they have not done real work for many years).   As to a waiver, the Biden administration has shown no propensity to issue a waiver and would more likely decide to demand that the cruise lines first rename all their ships after some obscure folks.  I am sure there are those in congress and the administration that are offended by any company or ship with the word "Royal" in its name then the issue with the PVSA.  Such is the state of our country.  I would assume there are also those in the government who are offended by some of the art hanging in ships, the art that is NOT hanging in ships, etc.  But care about a cruise industry that creates lots of jobs?   Nah....not any concern,

Hank

I’ve often wondered how much of the onerous nature of the CDC is intended to be a payback to the cruise industry for going “ over their heads” and having that meeting with then VP Pence.

At the end of the day, one must always remember that Fauci and his cohorts at the CDC are government employees. They get their paychecks regardless of the havoc they reap on any industry. Economic consequences of their actions are not in their considerations. They have been quite plain about that. Those lost U. S. jobs mean nothing to them. They have their paychecks.

This is why I believe that cruising will start up in other places of the world long before it does here in the US. The industry won’t wait on the CDC to to back to work.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

reap

wreak.

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Economic consequences of their actions are not in their considerations.

Nor do I want it to be. Pure science/medicine and let others - you know like a former president - come up with economic plans. You know - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

wreak.

Nor do I want it to be. Pure science/medicine and let others - you know like a former president - come up with economic plans. You know - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4.

So you believe King Anthony only quotes pure science. Oh Kay!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clo said:

wreak.

your not the grammr polize? Stop. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, clo said:

I was being purely educational. And added a totally on topic comment.

Well since you like educational things I will offer some instruction here for you. This is from the Cruise Critic guidelines. If you get a chance you might spend a little time reading through them, you might learn something. Now you know the rules, so in the future let's hope you can refrain from correcting people. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

"Our members are from all walks of life.  They belong to different faiths, religions and nationalities.  Their level of education may differ than yours, or English may be their second language.  Please exhibit tolerance of the posting styles, language and grammar of members.  Posts that point out typos, grammatical errors or anything that could embarrass someone aren't allowed -- are a waste of everyone's time -- and will be removed from the community."

• Like 9

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

the other day  I saw a weather vaneon a barn.... you know it just kept swinging around  from what ever way the wind was blowing that moment....... funny how life mimic's nature some times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Of course, pinot, he's the 'expert', don't you know?  Of course the science has changed I guess since the made contradictory pronouncements re mask wearing and shut downs and schools opening.  Some science, huh?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Of course, pinot, he's the 'expert', don't you know?  Of course the science has changed I guess since the made contradictory pronouncements re mask wearing and shut downs and schools opening.  Some science, huh?

The data gets analyzed over time and conclusions are drawn. Do y'all really not get that?

Nope!  Especially when Fauci told the press that the reason he  made his original statement re masks not stopping the spread was that he was concerned there wouldn't be enough for the medical community treating COVID if everyone went out and purchased them for their family.  That's not science, it was a lie.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2021 at 12:27 PM, Hawaiidan said:

the other day  I saw a weather vaneon a barn.... you know it just kept swinging around  from what ever way the wind was blowing that moment....... funny how life mimic's nature some times

priceless -Dan...  Sorry we won't meet on that Alaska cruise we both have booked  🙂

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, GeorgesGal said:

That's not science, it was a lie.

Well. not as  he sees it...he is adapting to  the situation and the narrative of the moment...... 

...He has in the past months acquired a an acute sense of acumen in discovering  just where his bread is buttered and by who.....  Sort of like  how dogs become aware of their masters and seek to please them !         The science is  Pavlov's.........see there goes another bell.

's

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, PaulMCO said:

priceless -Dan...  Sorry we won't meet on that Alaska cruise we both have booked  🙂

Well come along Sept 2021 out of NY for a 10 day lobster cruise on the Insignia....Or Sept 27 out of AMS  on the Marina  2022....   Buy you a drink.    .