Oasis Class Ship Names

gabeb848

Why do you guys think the Oasis Class ships are the only ones with names that don't really go with the class name, besides The Oasis, Allure, and Wonder which are all kind of mysterious, when did they think it was a good idea to name the 2 ships in the middle of the class Harmony and Symphony??? Like, that sounds like it could be part of some other class called Melody Class!!! They seem a lot longer too, and out of place. This is just my opinion, but what do you think RCI was thinking?

P.S. They could have done Oasis, Allure, Wonder, Marvel, Reverie, and Fantasy, all mysterious and whimsical!

The confusing part to me (at least at the time) is they named a Quantum class ships Anthem and Ovation and then have Oasis ships Harmony and Symphony.  It is a bit odd they split the music theme across two classes.

I mean Freedom, Liberty, and Independence... all the same.

Voyager, Navigator, Explorer, Mariner, Adventure...  mostly in the same vein.

Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel, Serenade...  Serenade seems a bit out of place in the naming scheme.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rewind said:

The confusing part to me (at least at the time) is they named a Quantum class ships Anthem and Ovation and then have Oasis ships Harmony and Symphony.  It is a bit odd they split the music theme across two classes.

I mean Freedom, Liberty, and Independence... all the same.

Voyager, Navigator, Explorer, Mariner, Adventure...  mostly in the same vein.

Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel, Serenade...  Serenade seems a bit out of place in the naming scheme.

Exactly, its like the person writing mixed it up! Although its weird that they did adventure instead of adventurer. And in Vision class, Rhapsody goes with the music theme too. C'mon Royal Caribbean!

Edited by gabeb848
adding more
  • Like 2

Is there any maritime tradition that all ships in a class have to sport a name within a specific theme?

Honestly it's not something I've ever paid much attention to.  While each name may get a reaction, I've never thought to analyze names relative to the class that ship is in.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is there any maritime tradition that all ships in a class have to sport a name within a specific theme?

Honestly it's not something I've ever paid much attention to.  While each name may get a reaction, I've never thought to analyze names relative to the class that ship is in.  

The US Navy used to have a tradition. Battleships were named after states, Cruisers after cities, Destroyers had the names of famous people (usually war heroes or politicians). Aircraft carries were either named after battles (Yorktown, Lexington) or famous ships (Enterprise, Wasp).  Submarines were usually named after fish, some with menacing names sure to strike fear (USS SeaDragon), others not so much (USS Croaker, USS Wahoo). 

Nowadays, they seem to have gotten away from tradition. Submarines can stilled be named after fish as well as states (makes sense as today's Submarines packs more punch than the battleships of yore) or cities and lately Aircraft carries are named after presidents but that is not a hard and fast rule. Pretty much any class of ship can have famous people's name or politician depending on what is in vogue.

How all this relates to cruise ships names.....I have no idea. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I have my suspicions that the music themed names were intended for the Chinese market. 

Except the 2 ships that have been to china dont have music names. But I know what you mean.

Edited by gabeb848

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Another thing that I've questioned is the use of names that are already used by other cruise lines (like Wonder).  Can't they be more original?

Like maybe Miracle of the seas instead of wonder.

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Another thing that I've questioned is the use of names that are already used by other cruise lines (like Wonder).  Can't they be more original?

I agree.

Liberty / Freedom / Radiance  and previously Splendor/Legend are names shared with Carnival.  I might have missed a few.

My first ever cruise was on the (at the time) 2-year old Liberty of the Seas.  Prior to the cruise, someone I know was telling me all the negative things about their cruise on the Liberty. Which of course, gave me some concern. Turns out they were talking about Carnival Liberty.

• Like 1