Exterior Door Magnets/Signs on Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossing?

Smokeyham

Hello,

On my Alaska cruise on Princess we put a door magnet/sign on the outside of our cabin door.   

This may be a moot point on Cunard since I think I read that the exterior of the doors are not metal (?).  I'm wondering if this is the case, and even if they are metal and so could hold a magnetic sign is this something that people do on a Transatlantic crossing?

Thanks

On our QE voyage to Alaska in 2019, a cabin several doors down from ours had put this sign on their door.  I smiled every time I passed by on the way to the stairs/lifts.

image.png.c8e2a7cf165bb61ff64b82010ae8b527.png

I didn't notice how it was attached, whether by magnet, blue tack, or tape.  Despite the wood grain appearance of the cabin doors, they are not wood for fire safety reasons.  I suspect there is sufficient metal in the door to support a magnetically attached decoration, especially it not too heavy.

I think Cunard supports passengers having creative and interesting door decorations.  We've never put up anything ourselves, but on many voyages we've seen small flags, Christmas wreaths, maps, and on one TA, an iceberg warning.  As long as the decoration is not offensive, excessive, or blocks the narrow corridor, it is usually fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  

To clarify, I am specifically interested in seeing if this is possible on the Queen Mary 2 and also if this is something that is "done thing" on a TransAtlantic crossing.  From what I am reading the atmosphere on board a Cunard ship is somewhat different from that on board a Princess ship.

32 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

To clarify, I am specifically interested in seeing if this is possible on the Queen Mary 2 and also if this is something that is "done thing" on a TransAtlantic crossing.  From what I am reading the atmosphere on board a Cunard ship is somewhat different from that on board a Princess ship.

Yes, my answer above applies to QM2, QE, and QV, in many different parts of the world, including on QM2 TAs.  I wouldn't say the decorations are very common.  The majority of doors remain unadorned. But there have been some very attractive and interesting decorations which speak to the creativity of the passengers.  I remember my wife being very appreciative of one cabin adjacent to our nearest staircase that put a holiday wreath on their door.  She used it as a visual reminder of whether to turn port or starboard when exiting the stairs or lifts.

You are correct that Cunard can be a bit more formal than Princess.  But we're mostly aboard to have fun, and the tasteful decorations I've encountered always gave me a smile. 

This is just my opinion and experience, though.  Perhaps others have observed differently?

Edited by sfred
  • Thanks 1

We've been on eight crossings and have seen them on all of them, I think. Not many. Perhaps three or so on our long corridor on Decks 8 or 5 - even on 9. That's how I was able to gauge how far we had gone (or if I had headed in the wrong direction).

So, yes it's done a little. On TAs.  (Personally, we don't. But to each their own)

Edited by MarkBearSF

On 20/02/2021 at 12:14 PM, Victoria2 said:

.  I know of one couple who used a door decoration to help them locate their cabin more easily. I thought it a good idea!

Can you put them on lift doors, with little arrows, or do we still have to resort to cake crumbs

Edited by Windsurfboy

Door decorating is not a common practice on Cunard and I hope it never will be.   At best it's folk art.  At worst it's about as appealing as subway graffiti.  On some cruise lines where decorating is taken to hideous excess the management is finally starting to rein in the practice and requiring that decorations be flame-retardant.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Door decorating is not a common practice on Cunard and I hope it never will be.   At best it's folk art.  At worst it's about as appealing as subway graffiti.  On some cruise lines where decorating is taken to hideous excess the management is finally starting to rein in the practice and requiring that decorations be flame-retardant.

Walk down some corridors on a world cruise and you will see quite a few cabins with some sort of decoration on the doors.

I assume most is for fun although like the elderly passengers mentioned, it can also be used it for immediate cabin recognition especially after 'a good night out'. It wouldn't occur to us to do the same but it doesn't affect or offend me in the slightest and I really can't see how it affects the general enjoyment of others  with unadorned cabin doors. Each to their own.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I really can't see how it affects the general enjoyment of others  

You might not be able to see but it certainly does affect others. (as @BlueRiband said "subway graffiti",  you might also say "99 cent store". or "dorm" and often "kindergarten style") 

It is for the most part one of these tacky things present on many cruise lines but fortunately not common at all on Cunard, indeed it is one of the small things that differentiate the atmosphere on Cunard from other ships.

(Even though on a world cruise, yes, I have seen an elegant tasteful one, fitting within the  Cunard decoration style.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello:

I don't know about door magnets.  On many voyages including TAs and world cruise segments I have seen some door decorations.  I rather enjoy them and will often stop to take a look.   It is hardly a big deal and does nothing to downgrade the Cunard experience.  I can also report that door decorations are rare and not commonplace.  If you want to decorate your door in that fashion I say go ahead and have fun!

Deck Chair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

You might not be able to see but it certainly does affect others. (as @BlueRiband said "subway graffiti",  you might also say "99 cent store". or "dorm" and often "kindergarten style") 

It is for the most part one of these tacky things present on many cruise lines but fortunately not common at all on Cunard, indeed it is one of the small things that differentiate the atmosphere on Cunard from other ships.

(Even though on a world cruise, yes, I have seen an elegant tasteful one, fitting within the  Cunard decoration style.)

Some decorations are what I would term 'tat' but they please the cabin occupants and that's fine by me.

I  still can't see why it would affect you and a couple of others on this board to see a few decorated doors  but if it does I'm sorry and hope you can ignore them if you cruise with Cunard again because although I can't ever see door decorations taking over the ship [we won't be indulging],  until they're banned by the company, I don't think they'll be going away. 🙂

• Like 1