New England Cruise 2022.

Photo Andy

Hello

We are  sailing on Sky Princess autumn (2022) to North East USA.  Looking forward to visiting Boston but a few questions

1. can we walk the Freedom trail from the port? or do we need a taxi etc. (We are reasonably fit, walk, bike etc).    

2. Is it easy to walk to the Cheers bar from Faneuil square?

3. any recommended restaurants to eat in?

4. anything we really should see in Boston outside of those mentioned above?

Thank you in anticipation.

Derek.     

You might want to post on the New England ports of call board.

To get to the common from the port, take the Silver Line T to South Station, then the Red Line to Park Street.

You'll actually be closer to Cheers from the Common than you will from Faneuil Market.

8 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

1. can we walk the Freedom trail from the port? or do we need a taxi etc. (We are reasonably fit, walk, bike etc).    

Great itinerary. 7 days go by way too fast on this cruise. That one sea day was direly needed.

1. Yes, technically you could. I made the trek, but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless one has the motivation to do so. Since I'd never been to Boston before, I found the walk rather insightful to soak in the city simply through the sights and sounds. 

2. Yes, you can. It should be about 20 minutes on a mild stroll (~1 mile). The thing about the Cheers bar closing can be fact checked here. The one at Beacon Hill (the original) is the one remaining open and the one I'm alluding to. The one that closed was the one at Faneuil.

3. I was more interested in the hunt for a lobster roll so I didn't sit down anywhere. I'll let others speak to this.

4. I tried out all of the tourist-y things (cheesy, I know) and one day just wasn't enough, so again, I will defer this to the experts. If I had the time, I would've really taken advantage of the T to get around, though, and branch out away from the seaport/city, like to Cambridge. 

16 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Hello

We are  sailing on Sky Princess autumn (2022) to North East USA.  Looking forward to visiting Boston but a few questions

Thank you in anticipation.

Derek.     

1. It is a 3 mile one way walk with no points of interest from the pier to Boston Commons, the start of the Freedom Trail.  The trail actually takes you further away from the pier, so it's a longer return. It can be done if you want to walk for a number of hours. The trail itself is all walking and then you have to return to the ship. The trail actually goes across the rive to the USS Constitution. We stopped at the market where there were lots of food options. Recommend you bring along a freedom trail map or download one on your phone. Maps are available at the gift shop in Boston Commons.

14 hours ago, railman said:

I could be wrong on this but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Cheers is closed permanently.  

You are correct about the Cheers in the Faneuil Hall location.  That one closed last year.  https://www.boston.com/food/restaurants/2020/08/18/cheers-faneuil-hall-closing

Edited by antmaril