Spain Portugal cruise in April?

Tikka234

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I seem to recall a few months ago that the Canaries Government inferred that if the EU made life difficult for Brits traveling that they would positively encourage them, even as far as slashing tourist taxes for Brits. Canaries may open up to cruises quicker than the mainland.

I must admit, I thought Tui were sailing the Canaries now with Mein Schiff 1 and 2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, but that would be part of a structured approach, not one that would be implemented overnight, causing a cruuse ship to suddenly be unable to dock in Spain or Portugal.

I can't remember what ship, or who was on it, but it meandered up the Atlantic for several weeks landing nowhere. Anyway as the OP asked.... weather in Spain and Portugal ok in April?.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Didn't Macron do that with Lorry drivers?

Which was CV19 related, (not necessarily one that I agreed with) but which is somewhat different to a general EU border closure, which was what John was talking about.

I think we may (including myself!) be in danger of disputing the number of angels that can be fitted on a pin head. "Yes", the EU could,  as a bloc, shut its borders,  but that would only happen during the short  course of a cruise if an event such as CV19 came into play. Individual countries could also close their borders, but again, at short notice, thus is unlikely unless CV19 is involved, and the Canaries coujd just as easily close their borders as Spain.

I just think that second guessing theoretical EU decisions is no way to choose a cruise.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which was CV19 related, (not necessarily one that I agreed with) but which is somewhat different to a general EU border closure, which was what John was talking about.

I think we may (including myself!) be in danger of disputing the number of angels that can be fitted on a pin head. "Yes", the EU could,  as a bloc, shut its borders,  but that would only happen during the short  course of a cruise if an event such as CV19 came into play. Individual countries could also close their borders, but again, at short notice, thus is unlikely unless CV19 is involved, and the Canaries coujd just as easily close their borders as Spain.

I just think that second guessing theoretical EU decisions is no way to choose a cruise.

Quite right we were just discussing our 14 nights in Menorca in September and will be, like you in Lanzarote, be prepared to jump on a plane last minute if another lockdown is imminent.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Quite right we were just discussing our 14 nights in Menorca in September and will be, like you in Lanzarote, be prepared to jump on a plane last minute if another lockdown is imminent.

We love Cituadella,  great town! 

Just now, wowzz said:

We love Cituadella,  great town! 

Indeed. Some years ago on our first ever cruise on Island escape we docked in Mahon, a few years later on the more upmarket Ocean Village we tendered into Cituadella. Menorca is our goto ' shall we pop off for a week, or so " destination.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but you made the comment about the EU operating as a bloc, hence why I bought  other countries into the discussion. 

So your argument is to avoid cruises to EU bloc countries. 

The bloc argument means that France and Spain will likely do the same thing so no alternate generally available particularly in Mediterranean.

In this covid/vaccination troubled times yes avoid the Med due to the number of EU countries in the area.

Regards John

10 minutes ago, john watson said:

The bloc argument means that France and Spain will likely do the same thing so no alternate generally available particularly in Mediterranean.

In this covid/vaccination troubled times yes avoid the Med due to the number of EU countries in the area.

Regards John

Well, that's put a dampener on about 75% of P&O cruises! 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Which just shows that restrictions vary from region to region, letvalobe from country to country,   so talking about "bloc" restrictions in the context of choosing a cruise seems a little strange

Wowzz, Are you receiving a stipend from Brussels for your unstinting defence of the ideologies of the EU?:classic_cool:

This is all getting a bit silly/political for me. I don't know why you all don't do what Jenny and I do. Go to Barbados or a Caribbean cruise. No problems with the weather and lots of of interesting places to visit and the locals are all quite pleasant and mostly never close the borders!!

Peter and Jenny

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz, Are you receiving a stipend from Brussels for your unstinting defence of the ideologies of the EU?:classic_cool:

It just seems a bit silly to tell everybody to avoid all cruises that go to EU countries. Nothing to do with ideology. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

This is all getting a bit silly/political for me. I don't know why you all don't do what Jenny and I do. Go to Barbados or a Caribbean cruise. No problems with the weather and lots of of interesting places to visit and the locals are all quite pleasant and mostly never close the borders!!

Peter and Jenny

Not so much fun in the summer though!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Peter and Jenny

Not everyone loves the Caribbean, been once never again and would rather stay at home.

15 hours ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi anyone done a Spain Portugal cruise in April ? What's the weather like, ? Looking for a cruise to transfer our Med cruise in Sept to next year  looking at Spain and Portugal or Canaries. 

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

This is all getting a bit silly/political for me. I don't know why you all don't do what Jenny and I do. Go to Barbados or a Caribbean cruise. 

Peter and Jenny

Your right there Peter .I think the problem is the poster asked ...

Hi anyone done a Spain Portugal cruise in April ? and was looking at Spain and

Portugal or Canaries . Problem is a poster mentioned France ?? :classic_unsure: now we have 

Barbados which I fully agree with you is a  brilliant place , problem is the poster 

wants to go to Spain and Portugal or Canaries, which seems to have been forgotten 

about .I bet they wished they had never asked now :classic_unsure:

Take care & you two keep safe :classic_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Your right there Peter .I think the problem is the poster asked ...

Hi anyone done a Spain Portugal cruise in April ? and was looking at Spain and

Portugal or Canaries . Problem is a poster mentioned France ?? :classic_unsure: now we have 

Barbados which I fully agree with you is a  brilliant place , problem is the poster 

wants to go to Spain and Portugal or Canaries, which seems to have been forgotten 

about .I bet they wished they had never asked now :classic_unsure:

Take care & you two keep safe :classic_smile:

Arrrrrhhhh.   the old Spanish main, been there me beauty. And Port O Spain in that Trinidad. You be best avoid in April, there be hurricanes.

Correction. No hurricanes in April so good to go.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 2

To return to the original question we went on a cruise in the second half of April 2019. We stopped at several Portuguese and Spanish ports and had lovely warm sunny weather. An added benefit was that it was not so crowded as later in the summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Reports in the press today that countries in EU are free to set their own travel rules. Spain , Greece and Cyprus are gagging to get travel opening up again. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I prefer that to the alternative. An interesting itinerary could be on the cards.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If I may be so bold, I think the consensus, (EU aside), is that the Portugal and Spain cruise is the preferred choice.

Make it 12/14 nights and throw in the Canaries as well. Our second last cruise in May 2019 on Explorer of the Seas did that in 12 nights. The weather was pretty good and BoB very kind.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Make it 12/14 nights and throw in the Canaries as well. Our second last cruise in May 2019 on Explorer of the Seas did that in 12 nights. The weather was pretty good and BoB very kind.

The captain must have put his foot down to do that in 12 nights. Did you get 5 islands done, plus 4 ports in Spain and Portugal?

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The captain must have put his foot down to do that in 12 nights. Did you get 5 islands done, plus 4 ports in Spain and Portugal?

Just checked again. 10 nights. Madeira, Lanzarote, Tenerife,Gran Canaria and Vigo. 14th May. As you say, must of had his foot down.

Thank you for all your comments, we are looking at 11 night on Britannia 18th to 29th April 2022 which includes Gibraltar which have wanted to go to. We decided we don't want to cruise this year so have already moved our Fjords cruise on Iona so now need to move our Med one. I think we will go for the Spain Portugal one  seems to be warm enough  temperatures. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

RCI always manage to fit more ports into their 14 night itineraries, 8 or 9 ports at least on their 14 night Canary cruises, and despite the extra speed their Voyager and Freedom class ships are very stable in rough seas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Just checked again. 10 nights. Madeira, Lanzarote, Tenerife,Gran Canaria and Vigo. 14th May. As you say, must of had his foot down.

I know it's irrational,  but I never think of Madeira as being a Portuguese port , when combined with a Mediterranean itinerary.

We are off (hopefully) to the Canaries on Arcadia in March 22,  with an overnight stop in Funchal. We will be off to our favourite restaurant in the old quarter for dinner - I wonder how many will stay onboard? 

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know it's irrational,  but I never think of Madeira as being a Portuguese port , when combined with a Mediterranean itinerary.

We are off (hopefully) to the Canaries on Arcadia in March 22,  with an overnight stop in Funchal. We will be off to our favourite restaurant in the old quarter for dinner - I wonder how many will stay onboard? 

This is a very sensible decision. The Canaries on Arcadia is an ideal choice for a warm weather cruise avoiding the Mediterranean.  Southampton round trip to the Canary Islands is a good way of visiting that area of the world as you know Canary Islands fly cruises can be problematic.

Regards John