Refunds vc cruise credit

Liketolearn

So I booked a cruise for March 2020 from Chile to FL through the panama canal. I canceled the cruise 5 days before it was scheduled to leave because I was afraid of COVID and being stranded in Chile with no return ticket should the cruise line cancel at the last minute. Three days later (2 days before the cruise) they did cancel! From forum reviews it was obvious many got stranded in Chile with no help getting back to the USA. Instead of getting a refund, I booked a similar cruise for March 2021. A few months later, the cruise line canceled that cruise. So I booked another for September 2020 to England. Sure enough that got canceled. So I booked a 4th cruise for April 2021. Last year they canceled that one too. Every time I book, I lose money. I buy cancelation ins and then the ins company tells me that if the cruise line cancels, the ins does not cover anything. I requested a refund from the cruise line and they are refusing to give it to me. They are insisting I book a 5th cruise. I do not feel comfortable doing that. In fact, I feel like I am done with cruising for at least the next 5 years! Does the cruise line really get to keep my $6000? How do I get it back?

Edited by Liketolearn

It's because you took the FCC in lieu of a refund, essentially converting your greenbacks into company/store money. This is why it's best to just get a refund and then just rebook. It protects your original transaction and goods/services contract. I think once you take the FCC the transaction service/goods contract is considered satisfied since you've essentially purchased FCC with the original payment and handed off the contract from the original payment processor to Carnival. They are more than likely able to only offer you FCC or a gift card and legally satisfy legal requirements. You could always request a gift card and then subsequently sell the gift card on the internet if you don't see yourself cruising anytime soon.    

Edited by cruisingguy007

To me its morally reprehensible for the cruise line not to give you your money back, However don't expect to much sympathy around here. For many people on these boards, no matter what the cruise lines do, they can do no wrong around here. 

Write a letter to the CEO demanding your money back, you never know, it might just work. 

The cancellation and FCV policies of all the cruise lines differ somewhat, so your rights will be dictated by the terms your cruise line.

In the original post, you indicated that you made a very sensible decision to cancel the cruise 5 days before departure, which was 3 days before it was cancelled by the cruise line. When you cancelled, you were subject to the cruise line's cancellation policy, with few, if any providing any refund at that short notice. You mentioned purchasing travel insurance, since you cancelled the initial cruise before the cruise line cancelled, you should have coverage. Provided you had CFAR, or you met one of the stated reasons for cancelling, they should have provided a refund.

Since you cancelled 3 days before the cruise line cancelled the cruise, you most likely were not legally entitled to any refund, or FCV from the Cruise Line. Therefore, I suggest when you cancelled the initial cruise, the Cruise Line has offered a refund or FCV, on a compassionate basis. You mentioned booking another cruise, so rather than accepting a refund, I suspect you may have opted for FCV.

I expect the refund/FCV offer was provided with terms and conditions of use. Without knowing the terms and conditions provided with the offer, we have no way of knowing whether you are elligible for another refund.

• Like 1

I agree with @Heidi13 . Most likely you never were eligible for a refund, since you cancelled before the cruise line. And I haven’t seen any make a non-refundable credit suddenly refundable. What you really should do is book a cruise with a refundable deposit without insurance for like 2022 or 2023. Push it out, keep your fcc valid. But get off the book/cancel roller coaster. When cruises restart and you get a better idea of what will and won’t go, then get serious about cancelling that placeholder and rebooking what you want.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

We are still trying to get our refund from a cruise we cancelled for April, 2020---1st we requested FCCs which were credited to our account.  After further thought, we decided we wanted a refund instead.  It is now almost a year later & we are still hassling with HAL about getting it.

36 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

We are still trying to get our refund from a cruise we cancelled for April, 2020---1st we requested FCCs which were credited to our account.  After further thought, we decided we wanted a refund instead.  It is now almost a year later & we are still hassling with HAL about getting it.

You accepted the FCC. Under the terms and conditions of that decision,  the cruiseline is under no obligation to now provide you with a refund

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Yet again, what were the terms and conditions of the FCV that you accepted. On our preferred cruise line, if they remain unused for 2 yrs, your money is refunded.

What were HAL's terms & conditions?

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

You accepted the FCC. Under the terms and conditions of that decision,  the cruiseline is under no obligation to now provide you with a refund

I understand but the FCC was removed from our account by HAL when we requested the refund so we assumed, maybe in error, that the refund was going forward.

Edited by 57redbird
more info

It really depends on what you did with the money. Cruise #1 it is not clear that you took a refund or not. Cruise #2-#4 may have been with FCC. If that is the case, you lost the opportunity for a refund. The only option is FCC because that was what was used to pay for the cruises. It does not revert all the way back to what you did for Cruise #1. 

That is the issue with FCC. You forfeit the right of any for of refund. The other issue you face is cruise prices. You FCC may be $2,000 and had wonderful cruise planned for that much. Then, the cruise lines need more money and those cruises are now $4,000. You are still stuck paying the difference. This is why we took the refund from RCL. Every time the cancel a month, the price of cruises jumps up 25-200%. 

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The other issue you face is cruise prices. You FCC may be $2,000 and had wonderful cruise planned for that much. Then, the cruise lines need more money and those cruises are now $4,000. You are still stuck paying the difference. This is why we took the refund from RCL. Every time the cancel a month, the price of cruises jumps up 25-200%. 

Well just had my third cruise with Costa cancelled, previous cruises were via FCC. On this occasion the choice was to re book any cruise with the same timeframe or less and pay the same as the original cruise, and 200 obc. They seem to be waking up to the fact that many wont rebook due to the price increases. Hope other cruise lines go down the same path.

This is the email Costa now send out when they cancel your cruise and the terms....

IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmailservice.dg01.it%2Fimgproxy%2Fimg%2F652125005%2Flogo%2Bcosta.jpg&t=1614455399&ymreqid=3cee12c5-d4b9-5cf5-2fba-b5000c01b900&sig=Uk_QZ8d2BCgJYPUR1qWTpg--~D

Costa Diadema – Cruise of 07/04/2021

Booking:                                Mr/Mrs: 

Genoa, 17th February 2021

Dear Guest,

We at Costa Cruises are convinced that a cruise vacation should be the most relaxing, enjoyable experience and deserves all the best conditions to be memorable both on board and ashore, in a safe and comfortable environment. The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is always our priority.

Following the still uncertain situation regarding the evolution of the epidemiological situation in Europe with travel restrictions and the current scenario that could lead to situations that would not allow us to offer the cruise experience we normally offer, we have decided to update our fleet programs for 2021

Because of this change, we regretfully inform you that the cruise you booked has been cancelled. We understand your disappointment and we are particularly sorry for this.

Costa Cruises will refund the amount paid as provided by the applicable law and compatibly with the technical time necessary to process the request.In case of payment by bank transfer, we invite you to send us your bank details to clients@costa.it (Iban code, bank name, beneficiary of the Current Account and BIC code), otherwise the refund may be made on the credit card used.

On the other hand, should you wish to change your booking to other available departures instead of the refund, we will grant you the same rate of the cancelled cruise choosing a departure of the same length from the 27th of March till the 15th of June 2021 and from the 15th of September till 15th of December (Christmas and New Year cruises excluded). As an alternative you can choose another cruise of our catalogue at the best available price. In both rebooking options, you will be entitled to an additional credit on board of £ 200,00 per cabin for cruises lasting 7 or more nights or £ 150,00 per cabin for cruises lasting less than 7 nights.

In case you are not ready to book now and you would prefer to receive a future cruise credit equal to the amount already collected by Costa, we kindly ask you to send the request at the address clients@costa.it within the 23/02/2021. The credit will be usable within 18 months from its creation and gives also right to the above-mentioned on-board credit of £ 200,00 per cabin for cruises lasting 7 or more nights or £ 150,00 per cabin for cruises lasting less than 7 nights.

Our Cruise Consultants are at your disposal to find together the best alternative solution to welcome you on board our ships as soon as conditions allow, and to advise you on programs and offers you can take advantage of.

We thank you for your understanding and we hope to welcome you on board our ships where we have enhanced our health safety protocols that have received great appreciation from our customers and proven to be effective in the four months of resumption of our cruises.

Best regards.

Costa Cruises