Which is the better port to leave from ? Civitavecchia (Rome) or Barcelona

3 hours ago, JillK said:

Thanks so much! We have lots of research to do in advance but I love that part of the planning. I feel more comfortable with recommendations from people who have personally experienced it so I appreciate your help.

We know that we won't have time to see everything Rome has to offer but wanted to devote enough days to get in plenty. Will just have to plan another trip down the line without the kiddos in the future. 

We did a 2 1/2 hour Segway tour that was amazing.  Great way to get your bearings, see a lot of sights and have a narrated history of what you are seeing.  

• Like 1

We did both and Barcelona is easier access to the ship. Both cities are great for site seeing of course, but very different.

On the other hand, we stayed a few days prior to the cruise in Rome. Then took a local train (very cheap) to Civitavecchia and stayed at a apartment there. Lot's of other cruisers who did the same. Only cost about 70 euro per night. Next morning walked to the cruise terminal and took the free shuttle bus to the ship. Taxi is also an option. 

Civitavecchia itself is not a great spot for tourism; so if you decide to stay there the night before, don't expect anything to see or do there 🙂

22 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Depends on your level of interest.  We've been to Barcelona 20+ times and still have plenty to occupy our time, either directly in town or a short distance away.

You could spend 1 full day just doing Gaudi.  Another full day with art museums.  Another full day with food tours.  A day to Montserrat.  A day to Girona.  You easily could fill 3 days.  Or you could leave things for another trip.  😀

We feel pretty confident it’s an area we’d return to. We like get a feel for an area if it really grabs our attention then we will return to revisit. 

If you want a suggestion to see Rome in a short time I can highly recommend Romeinalimo.

Superb knowledge guides and excellent tours well worth the money they saved us so much time and knew all the short cuts plus they’d pre booked all our entrance tickets.

• Like 2

We just loved leaving from Barcelona 20 mins or so from airport to downtown, loads of great hotels and restaurants, found cost of everything extremely reasonable . Hopefully we will do another European cruise and it will be from Barcelona, our cruise was 12 days with 5 stops in Italy including Rome.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:51 PM, Heymarco said:

I have done both and agree that Barcelona is 10x easier, strictly cruise speaking. Rome is a great city to visit too, but you need a few days at least.

If just a cruise Barcelona. If a sight seeing as well Both. If just a cruise from Civi, budget for a taxi from Rome to the port and a hotel. The taxi is about 120 euro.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, Esprit said:

Barcelona every time for me due to the proximity of the airport and a wide choice of hotels in a fabulous city.

Civitavecchia is nice but the transfer from the airport is a bit tedious.

We enjoyed the experience of the train from the airport to termini and then to Civitiavecchia, once. Taxi next time.

• Like 1

Just now, Heymarco said:

We did train for $6 per person. It’s not too far of a walk to cruise terminal from station but consider luggage.

We did the train from the airport to termini and then to Civi. As my Dear Wife struggled a bit with the cases we will get the taxi next time🤣

• Like 1

I think because the weather might be really warm, we would just get a taxi from the Rome area and just drop us off right atthe port with the bags?

How much american money can we expect to pay for that one way ride?

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think because the weather might be really warm, we would just get a taxi from the Rome area and just drop us off right atthe port with the bags?

Having cruised from both Rome and Barcelona I’d embark in Barcelona every time but having if I was to embark in Civitavecchia I’d definitely take a taxi to the cruise port and admire anyone who can get the train and drag there luggage from the train station all the way to the port which is a good mile or so away.

I would think the taxi fare would be approximately $150.00

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I've used them several times -- airport to Rome hotel, Rome hotel to pier, and vice versa.

Very easy to check the rates, just make a mock booking.... private or shared shuttle

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/