10 day cruise

knitlady037

Simply too far away to predict.  Best case probably is: cruising returns this summer, herd immunity proves effective, restrictions are eased by end of year.  Or, mutations and vaccine levels delay herd immunity, and we are stuck with restrictions into 2022.  Not wanting to go through more cancellations, my next booked cruise is October 2022 for now!

I also like to cruise from NYC but not expecting that to be desirable until long cruises can go again.  I have done the Florida & Bahamas thing three times. Once by choice, one diverted from a Bermuda cruise, one diverted from a 12 day cruise that had more interesting ports until NCL decided we needed another dose of these 3 places, changing our itinerary after final payment and without any option to cancel. Still sore about it.

We were booked on Jan. 2021 on the Gem cruise out of NY.  We canceled it last year before final payment was due.  We booked RCL on Freedom of the Seas for Jan. 9, 2022 out of San Juan.  Then RCL  changed the ship to the Explorer of the Seas.  We will be canceling that one too, before final payment is due, as I don't  believe cruises out of San Juan will be going forward next Jan. It is a fabulous itinerary.   I could be wrong, but at this point, rather just get our refundable deposit back.  We will still have our Celebrity Constellation for Nov. 2021 booked.  It's a 5 nighter out of Tampa.  I'm hoping that goes forward, as we can't stay home and eat out for what we paid for our balcony.

Booked a hotel for Key West for this Oct. for 4 nights during Fantasy Fest.  At least it's something we can look forward to.  Cruising is so much more less expensive though.

Edited by LadyBerard

9 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

I really want to book the Gem Caribbean out of NY for Feb. 2022. Any thoughts on if it will sail or will they shorten the cruise to 7 days and do the Fla. Bahamas run which is my least favorite itinerary.

It will sail as scheduled. 

while i'm sure no one can know  for sure at this time, and we'll probably get a better handle on cruises later this year, if the ships arent sailing by feb 22, i think we'll have a lot more to worry about.

e're booked for july 2021 and oct 2022.  just keeping my fingers crossed

• Like 1

Contractors, engineers working on ships I spoke to last weekend, in there opinions this time next year out of the states, I mentioned my NCL cruise out of Barcelona in September 2021, and received the comment maybe.

Covid-19 hasn’t gone away.....

16 hours ago, Ztras said:

I just wanted to say that the 10 day out of NY on the Gem in the Winter was my absolute favorite NCL cruise experience.

It’s also so much better embarking a smaller ship at the Manhattan terminal. The port isn’t designed to handle a megaship passenger load, and while it can get busy with the Gem, it’s much better than the breakaway (or larger) ships. 

17 hours ago, Ztras said:

I just wanted to say that the 10 day out of NY on the Gem in the Winter was my absolute favorite NCL cruise experience.

We had a very enjoyable 10-day winter cruise out of NY on the Gem five years ago.  Of course, there was that memorable moment on a beautiful sea day  -- we'd been relaxing on loungers in the shade up on Deck 13 when a woman sat down on a chair next to us, pulled out a pair of nail clippers, and began clipping her toenails right then and there.  Clip clop, clip clop, nail pieces flying everywhere.  We looked over and very politely suggested to her that this particular activity was more appropriate for one's cabin.  To which she replied, "I'm on vacation.  I'm free to do whatever I want, wherever I want."   I guess that's what she thought NCL meant by Free Style Cruising! 😲

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm free to do whatever I want, wherever I want.

LOL

I would have said "me, too," and proceeded to start farting and belching. Hey, I'm on vacation, too, right?

😂😆🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

It’s also so much better embarking a smaller ship at the Manhattan terminal. The port isn’t designed to handle a megaship passenger load, and while it can get busy with the Gem, it’s much better than the breakaway (or larger) ships. 

Manhattan is a joy compared to Breakway plus another ship in New Orleans!

New York:

Separate levels for arrivals and departures. Parking right next to the elevators. Multiple drop off levels... the main complaint is you can't pick up in the ramps. Pick ups must be done on 12th ave which is a hassle... walking up and down to find your ride. Even the taxi stand is across the street and down a block, and luggage help gets scarce when they have to go that far for a poor tip... (hint, grab a guy, tell him you need help to the taxis and have  $20 showing in your hand.)

New Orleans:

We had to wait in a hot line in the terminal for 2 hours to get a taxi because the 2 lane road could not handle the arriving drop offs and the pick-up traffic. What a mess.  Our line blocked all the entranced for people arriving for the next cruise... so they had to cut through our line to form another line parallel to us to go through security. Just one narrow hall for hundreds of us!

Got off Getaway in New Orleans, Nov. 2019.  that was the biggest cluster ever, we have sailed over 20 times  Got off Breakaway in NYC, about 4 years earlier, easy peasy, both getting on and off.  Would go through good and bad again to just get on!!

On 3/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, Turtles06 said:

We had a very enjoyable 10-day winter cruise out of NY on the Gem five years ago.  Of course, there was that memorable moment on a beautiful sea day  -- we'd been relaxing on loungers in the shade up on Deck 13 when a woman sat down on a chair next to us, pulled out a pair of nail clippers, and began clipping her toenails right then and there.  Clip clop, clip clop, nail pieces flying everywhere.  We looked over and very politely suggested to her that this particular activity was more appropriate for one's cabin.  To which she replied, "I'm on vacation.  I'm free to do whatever I want, wherever I want."   I guess that's what she thought NCL meant by Free Style Cruising! 😲

Ugh! We had a guy do this in Spice H20 on the escape. He was putting his clipped toenails in the ashtray!