Pools on ships sailing to Alaska

sjde

3 hours ago, sjde said:

You are right-all of HAL's main pools have a cover but it has to be really nasty for them to use it I was told when I called. 

"Nasty"?  When the temperature is low, it is raining, etc.  it's been my experience that the mid-ship's pool area is covered.  In my opinion, the weather does not have to be "nasty" (maybe my definition differs from whomever you spoke), for the Captain to order the pool area to be covered.  

I asked her -So if it’s 55 and sunny they would not cover it ? And she said oh no , it has to be really “nasty “. I asked if they kept it warmer than a traditional pool and she said no. 

I just watched Don's Family vacations on youtube talking about 10 tips for Alaska. He said choose your cruise line wisely for Alaska  because not  all cruise ships/lines had heated pools. That was news to me. 

Edited by sjde

24 minutes ago, sjde said:

Hmmm, I didn't get her name but it was a CS rep. 

I think we expect the people who answer the phone to know absolutely everything possible about everything on the ship....that's a pretty high standard. Things vary by ship, Captain and Hotel Manager. Specific knowledge  on smaller issues probably depends on the employee's cruising experience, but not sure how extensive that is for all the land based personnel.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sjde said:

Hmmm, I didn't get her name but it was a CS rep. 

We have exchanged some posts about this "topic".  

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Things vary by ship, Captain and Hotel Manager. Specific knowledge  on smaller issues probably depends on the employee's cruising experience, but not sure how extensive that is for all the land based personnel.

Absolutely agree with CruiserBruce.  "Book learning" is helpful for an employee.  It does not replace actual, personal experiences.

On top of this issue, how many experienced customer representatives of any agency or transportation company such as a cruise line are still employed because of Covid?  

On 3/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, sjde said:

Crazy planning mom-yes but only for adults. 

Both Ovation and Quantum have indoor pools in the Solarium for adults and an indoor family pool.  Radiance and Serenade have indoor pools in their Solariums that have limited hours during the day for children while sailing in Alaska.

• Thanks 1