Vaccine Requirement News

2 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Did anyone see the poll of corrections officers in FL?  Out of 470 polled only 75 will get the vaccine.  Good for them.

why does that please you, that most plan to refuse?

Our news has had stories of correctional officers who have died from CoVid.  Here is one, a young lady who’d only worked in the job for weeks before being exposed.  It’s sad. 

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/remembering-beaumont-correctional-officer-who-died-from-covid-19-complications/502-ca05e223-718a-41fc-92b2-63dc7206f523

Edited by BSocial

27 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Gee. The survival rate keeps ticking upward with every passing comment on this forum. LOL. As I said before, surviving may not be a bed of roses either. There are some really nasty after effects for those who survive Covid. How about a double lung transplant for starters?

Yes it does. 

The vast majority of those infected fully recover.

Some women need heart transplants after pregnancy due to post partum cardiomyopathy.

Shall we chase all the extreme outliers? If you go down that road you might as well lock yourself in your basement and wait to die. It's a big, scary world at there where most things have the ability to kill you.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think you and Sky should go in a room and see who comes out.😂

I suggest you accept that others have a different opinion than yours. You both have a choice.  That applies to Shy as well. 

IMHO

M8

🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Thanks for admitting that, just please realize that everyone is different and to some the risk isn't worth it. To some the risk of the vaccine (unknown) is worse than the risk of Covid itself (known). People will come around but it will take time. As more people get vaccinated and the vaccines are indeed proven without a doubt to be completely safe more will want to take it. If in the high risk group though people should take it as soon as you can. 

I'm 71 so I am in the high risk group for age only as I have zero comorbidities.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Thanks for admitting that, just please realize that everyone is different and to some the risk isn't worth it. To some the risk of the vaccine (unknown) is worse than the risk of Covid itself (known). People will come around but it will take time. As more people get vaccinated and the vaccines are indeed proven without a doubt to be completely safe more will want to take it. If in the high risk group though people should take it as soon as you can. 

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I'm 71 so I am in the high risk group for age only as I have zero comorbidities.

And 70-79 still has a much lower (death) rate than 80+. And women lower than men. My parents are 73 and 70, healthy, and will be getting the shot as soon as they can. 

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Why are those 75 corrections officers happy? Because they are not going to die of Covid. They are going to have an excellent chance of not needing hospitalization if they do contract Covid. There is also evidence that vaccinated people will not have any of the long haul side effects of Covid. I heard one of the expert doctors on an news cast say that. THAT is very encouraging news for those who are vaccinated.

Yup.....I'd say those folks who agree to the vaccine are very happy.

Plus, they will be able to cruise if vaccination is required to sail.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Why are those 75 corrections officers happy? Because they are not going to die of Covid. They are going to have an excellent chance of not needing hospitalization if they do contract Covid. There is also evidence that vaccinated people will not have any of the long haul side effects of Covid. I heard one of the expert doctors on an news cast say that. THAT is very encouraging news for those who are vaccinated.

Yup.....I'd say those folks who agree to the vaccine are very happy.

Little overdramatic I'd say.

An interesting element in this is the definition of "forced."

The Federal Government recently made the wearing of masks mandatory for using public transportation, including trains, buses, ferries, etc. Suppose it later goes on to require proof of vaccination, too. What about grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, etc.? Does that mean that in order to buy food and medicine or get your own money, it's "get vaccinated or else"? Obviously, the bulk of our discussion is about cruising, and if cruise lines deny boarding to those unable to provide proof of vaccination, that's one thing. But I don't think it's far-fetched to suggest that vaccinations could become de facto, if not de jure, required for daily life. That opens up a whole can of worms. I can remember people saying it was discriminatory to require photo ID to vote, and that's a constitutional right. I'm in line to get my vaccination, but we can't write off every person who refuses and say "tough."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I just don’t believe this is fact. Sure, they are less likely but saying they are not is a stretch. 

M8

You are probably right that there will be deaths in real life efficiency of these vaccines. Having said that, I read an article about the three vaccines being administered in the US and this excerpt if from that article....

The varying “effectiveness” rates miss the most important point: The vaccines were all 100% effective in the vaccine trials in stopping hospitalizations and death.

I have also read on the Moderna website that their vaccine prevented hospitalization and death 100% of the time in trials. I'm aware that that is going to be old news very soon with all the real life efficiency ratings that will be reported soon enough.

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:
7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The Federal Government recently made the wearing of masks mandatory for using public transportation, including trains, buses, ferries, etc. Suppose it later goes on to require proof of vaccination, too. What about grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, etc.? Does that mean that in order to buy food and medicine or get your own money, it's "get vaccinated or else"? Obviously, the bulk of our discussion is about cruising, and if cruise lines deny boarding to those unable to provide proof of vaccination, that's one thing. But I don't think it's far-fetched to suggest that vaccinations could become de facto, if not de jure, required for daily life. That opens up a whole can of worms. I can remember people saying it was discriminatory to require photo ID to vote, and that's a constitutional right. I'm in line to get my vaccination, but we can't write off every person who refuses and say "tough."

I have two words to say about this.....".Vaccine Passports". It remains to be seen what the future holds for those folks who are un-vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I see more people trusting it when that happens. 

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I feel there's a bit more trust in the more traditional vaccines than the gene therapy ones. Just getting that from the people I have been talking to in my day to day life. 

I believe your thinking is spot on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Your mixing the government and private areas. The federal government might not require or force the vaccine, but businesses can require what ever they want.

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Things that make you go "hmmm." If a patient is in hospice care with only weeks to live, and Covid-19 is discovered, the cause of death is Covid-19. If a person dies in a car accident and Covid-19 is discovered, the cause of death is Covid-19. But if a person receives a Covid-19 vaccine and later dies of something else, the vaccine isn't to blame. OK, sure. 🙄 How stupid do they think the public is?

FYI I am not anti-vaxx, my wife just got her first shot and I'm waiting to be notified that I'm eligible for mine. But I think it's dishonest to ascribe any deaths related to Covid as being caused by it, while simultaneously inferring that when vaccinated people die, the vaccine played no part. Give me a break!

I hope that is a rhetorical question. After it is it is the government you are talking about and it is full of politicians and bureaucrats that KNOW they know better about everything than the general public does.

Rick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, it was in reference to children, I do believe. However, as you're a veteran of these comment boards, you are no doubt aware that a lot of people still refuse to cruise if there are unvaccinated children aboard, because "kids can still transmit the virus." Yes, but aren't likely to. That's my point. Too many people are demanding 100% guarantees, and that's never going to happen.

Agreed. That's why I plan to receive the vaccine. Heck, I just Googled to see if I could qualify in Florida since we own property there (but we rent it out, I don't actually live there, even seasonally).

My point was to show the glaring disparity in how deaths related to (but not caused by) Covid are treated vs deaths of people who've been vaccinated. The statistics need to be treated equally, and they aren't.

Think about school settings. It's often 1 or 2 adults to 20 to 30 children with strict mask enforcement and distancing rules in place. It's far different on a cruise ship with 10 people crammed into an elevator, sitting maskless eating with 5 to 6 people inside the 6 ft circle.  Shipboard life is far different then land side.

I think the results of the RCL Israel cruise with vaccinations required 16+ will provide a valuable data set to determine if it is safe for under 16 nonvaccinated people to be on a cruise. Personally, I'm in the 100% vaccination group but it is looking more like an acceptable risk for 12+ being fully vaccinated.

4 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Nope, will never cruise again.  I'm thinking maybe 60% of the population will get the poison.  There is no way the mandate would stay past a  year or two.  It would be the end of cruising with the losses that they've had already and the losses from the people who won't get it. We love to cruise and so do my kids but there's plenty of other things to do.  Not being a lab rat for a virus with a 99.6% survival rate. 

GOOD! I'm very glad that anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are self-selecting themselves off cruise ships. By definition they are not the kind of people I want to sail with anyway so thanks to them for not being on board.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Think about school settings. It's often 1 or 2 adults to 20 to 30 children with strict mask enforcement and distancing rules in place. It's far different on a cruise ship with 10 people crammed into an elevator, sitting maskless eating with 5 to 6 people inside the 6 ft circle.  Shipboard life is far different then land side.

I think the results of the RCL Israel cruise with vaccinations required 16+ will provide a valuable data set to determine if it is safe for under 16 nonvaccinated people to be on a cruise. Personally, I'm in the 100% vaccination group but it is looking more like an acceptable risk for 12+ being fully vaccinated.

I think your assumption, assuming I've understood you correctly, is that cruise ship life post-Covid will continue to be the free-for-all it was before. I don't think so, especially not at first. In a nutshell, my wife and I don't care to be packed like sardines no matter what. On MSC, we stay in the Yacht Club, which is pretty exclusive to start with, and thinking back on it, I'd say we never go where there are throngs of people. About the only time we're around lots of others is walking around on deck in the fresh air, and we're continually told that's the 1 place you definitely don't need a mask. Even the elevators are a non-issue, I've not heard of a single case of Covid coming from someone who spent the roughly 1-2 minutes we typically do in a lift. But again, life on board won't be like it was, at first.