Pre cruise Oslo stay/train to Bergen worth the money?

FolsomMike

4 hours ago, Homerody said:

Bottom line is it is a preference and works for me.  It may not work for another. 

I'm more crass about it: "My vacation, my money,  my choice." 

But I also want to hear what others know and have experienced so I can make an informed choice.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Unless you need a lot of hand holding, a few minutes on the internet will show you that pre or post cruise tours are almost never worth it.  Almost all of them have to be the biggest profit rip offs that the cruise companies sell.  Just do the math and look at the itinerary and what you get for your money..

DON

Well who knows how things will play out but during pandemic times you left out the little thing about getting tested before you board the ship.  Correct me if I am wrong but If you take a pre extension I believe the 2 day number starts when you start the pre extension and not the ship.  Trying to get tested two days before when you have played around in some foreign country may not be so easy.

Just now, zalusky said:

Well who knows how things will play out but during pandemic times you left out the little thing about getting tested before you board the ship.  Correct me if I am wrong but If you take a pre extension I believe the 2 day number starts when you start the pre extension and not the ship.  Trying to get tested two days before when you have played around in some foreign country may not be so easy.

I am talking about generalities and not what is happening during the covid times.  Right now all the old rules are out of the window.

DON

We have the Homelands cruise booked in August 2022 but the Oslo stay/train to Bergen pre extensions both filled up before we decided to book them. Our TA has asked Viking to include us if they add more extensions but is not hopeful that Viking will add any. Has anyone seen Viking add more extensions after the first ones filled up? Thank you Viking cruiser. Ming

Adding another section to the  Oslo to Bergen train would depend on the rail company. On our 2018 trip, Viking had the last two cars of a 10 car train. I don't know if adding one car would be an issue for the rail company. Issues like another locomotive or conductor.

4 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Adding another section to the  Oslo to Bergen train would depend on the rail company. On our 2018 trip, Viking had the last two cars of a 10 car train. I don't know if adding one car would be an issue for the rail company. Issues like another locomotive or conductor.

Thanks, I appreciate your response, I think I better make other plans just in case  Viking pre extension didn’t come through.

On our Oslo to Bergen rail trip, Viking sent a guide with each of the two cars. They met us in the hotel lobby, and marched us the half block to the station platform. The guides arranged us for who goes in which of the cars, made sure everyone had bottles of water, etc.  At the Bergen end, the guides made sure everyone made it to the buses outside the station.

Then, they hopped into a taxi for a ride to the airport, and a quick flight to Oslo

• 6 months later...
On 12/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, ruimin said:

We have the Homelands cruise booked in August 2022 but the Oslo stay/train to Bergen pre extensions both filled up before we decided to book them. Our TA has asked Viking to include us if they add more extensions but is not hopeful that Viking will add any. Has anyone seen Viking add more extensions after the first ones filled up? Thank you Viking cruiser. Ming

Why not book the pre cruise and train yourself?  We did a few years ago and it worked out quite well.  We especially like not being in a "herd".  Research or a good TA will give you the answers that you need.  The train takes you through some very beautiful scenery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FolsomMike said:

Nice to see my thread bumped. 😉 Has anyone done this journey yet this year who can report on the mask situation on board? I would hate to catch Covid on the way to Bergen. 

Doing the reverse in 3 weeks so will let you know if any issues on the train.   Did Oslo to Bergen pre-Covid -- both times did our own train & hotel bookings.  Oslo and Bergen are both very easy self-tour cities.  If you are concerned about baggage, we booked with a local transfer service to have our large suitcases transferred between cities.  Certainly made the train trip easier.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 4:02 PM, pineapple1176 said:

Totally worth it! The tours in Oslo were great. The train ride was amazing! It was first class. Ours included  a meal from the cafe car, beer/wine and the most amazing views. There was a Viking representative with us and Viking had the entire car reserved. It was a wonderful beginning to our Viking Homelands cruise.

We will be doing this through Viking....am I understanding you to say that the Viking car was first class seats?  My husband has back issues and we've been a little concerned about what seats you get if you book through Viking.  

19 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Nice to see my thread bumped. 😉 Has anyone done this journey yet this year who can report on the mask situation on board? I would hate to catch Covid on the way to Bergen. 

Yes we travelled by train from Oslo to Bergen last month.  DH and I were the only ones masked. There were no empty seats.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, ruimin said:

Not adding extensions but twice I've had full extensions open up with cancellations so I could book them. Unfortunately with Viking's dropping the stress inducing daily testing I expect cancellations to drop.