ITB in Berlin - the whole travel trade show is virtual

notamermaid

The "Internationale Tourismusbörse" is completely virtual this year and this gives you the chance to visit, also us river cruising enthusiasts. Now, this is a massive trade show and virtual it is no different. So to help you to show yourself around the site, I have done a sample search: https://www.itb.com/ITBBerlinNOW/ExhibitorList/index-2.html#/search/f=river,cruise;v_sg=0;v_fg=0

to see what happens.

Or just roam around the mass of info..

notamermaid

• Like 1

Good to hear.  Our regional AAA travel expo went virtual this year and it was a waste of time.  "Booths" consisted of PDF's that were already available on company websites and generic, maybe even bot-based responses to questions.  Presentations were pre-recorded generic video presentations, again with little two-way communication.

It appeared to be a AAA money grab---if you wanted to spend $$$ and book something, there were live AAA TA's on hand to take your money.  This is an event at Gillette Stadium that we look forward to every year as it is a chance to actually talk to people representing both tour companies and local tourism boards, and it was not worth it.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to ITB in Berlin - the whole travel trade show is virtual

Although it´s virtual you still have to buy a ticket. And the regular price is 99 Euro! The interesting stuff is only accessible when you have a ticket.

As the regular ITB... the first three days (Wednesday til Friday) are not open to the public - only the weekend is open to the public. The interesting stuff is happening the first three days when all cruise lines have their press meetings announcing new stuff.

steamboats

5 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The interesting stuff is happening the first three days when all cruise lines have their press meetings announcing new stuff.

Indeed, the first three days are the most exciting. Will see what happens this year as regards big announcements.

I certainly have not 99 euros to spare (or rather consider it worth it). But perhaps there is some info to be had from the free site.

My colleagues are marginally involved through the Rhineland-Palatinate tourist board, I am not. Are you involved in the professionals' three days?

notamermaid

@sharkster77, I also enjoy the cruise and travel shows put on by various TAs, but haven't seen any advertised in the last year, nor have I received an email invitations.  Yes, I can see where virtual would be a waste of time. 

On 3/7/2021 at 7:54 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hopefully there will be press releases coming out of those professionals-only days.  And of course as soon as there are, you helpful folks will post the headlines and links here!

Contrary to what I had assumed, the ITB Berlin Now is basically a professionals-only event. When you book a ticket you are supposed to give details of your profession.

I read some German third-party info that you can book a cheaper after-event ticket to gives you access to read and listen to (recorded) talks.

There have been a few press releases, but so far I have not come across major news that would be of specific interest to river cruisers.

Here are the press releases: https://www.itb-berlin.de/en/Press/PressReleases/

notamermaid