What cruising Covid restrictions will make you reconsider cruising as a vacation option?

gwsster

The one restriction that is holding me back, is the have to use Cruise Line excursions only.  The inability to get off the ship and explore independently is one of the perks of sailing that is a biggie for me.  I do get the reasons for....NO need to explain the safety precautions and the mandated risk management issued by the cruise lines and CDC for all Countries.  I am saying this is the one issue that will make me wait to cruise.  What is your "why" to wait to book your next cruise?

• Like 2

For me it is excursions as well. I have no interest in doing excursions everywhere (whether NCL or privately arranged). Occasionally we will use them if it works out well, but 90%+ of ports we just go out by ourselves. If there is a requirement to use organised excursions then we will have to take different holidays.

Having said that, we have a cruise booked later this year and if that restriction applies then we would still go and just stay on the ship. At least we wouldn’t be stuck at home. 🙂

Absolutely no problem with most other likely restrictions.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

I have young children. I don’t think they’ll be vaccinated any time soon. So I don’t see us able to go with them- and I don’t think I can risk not being home at the end of the cruise due to a required quarantine because that would put a lot of stress on the babysitting grandparents. So will have to wait until it’s 100% normal. 

looking forward to learning CDC recommendations for vaccinated persons this week. 

I've been wearing masks everywhere indoors since we were requested to wear masks.. I'm fully vaccinated and I continue to wear masks and distance from others until we are informed that is no longer necessary.

Having to wear a mask on board a cruise ship is not going to happen for hubby and me. We will wait to cruise until that mask mandate is lifted.

• Like 5

None of the above. All non-issues. 

We have been on vacation 7 times since reopening. All requiring masks, physical distancing, continual temp checks. Some with other restrictions. No issues or problems that would prevent us from going. 

Ready to cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excursions are pretty much the only thing (*Assuming the ships are also following safety protocols, which I expect them to do*)

I like going for walks, exploring on my own, and taking a jog.  I don't like being herded around (and paying through the nose for it).

If I have to do cruise line excursions or stay on the ship, I'll probably just travel independently instead.

• Like 3

Excursion limitations will be the only thing that will make me enjoy my cruise less (but I'll still go).  I am scheduled on a cruise from Athens to Rome in November 2021, going to Greece, Cyprus, Israel, and Italy on the Getaway.  One port will be a repeat for me, as will the embarkation and disembarkation ports.  But the one repeat is Santorini, which I love exploring on my own.  We'll probably stay on the ship that day (sigh) and I will probably stay on the ship in the two Israeli ports (not interested).  The others, I'll see what excursions we want to go on--we have a truckload of FCC to use, so we can afford excursions on this trip, if they have anything interesting.

--Michael

• Like 1

We have a cruise scheduled for Dec.  Western Caribbean.  We've been to all the ports, so if we can't go on our own, we'll have to see what's offered thru the cruise line.  We've been wearing masks.  Went to Cancun in Dec for 11 days.  Wore our mask when we had to and were fine with it on the resort and when we did excursions.

I'm happy just getting away 😁  

• Like 2

I can't think of any restriction that will keep me off the ship...as long as I've been vaccinated, I'll happily accept whatever restrictions there are.

I will make sure I have a nice balcony to enjoy...and if I can't get off this ship because I don't feel like booking a ship excursion, no big deal.  I cruise for the relaxation, and most ports...if we are going to get off and tour, we take a ship excursion anyway.  

Just get me on a ship...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So a friend asked me "Can you imagine being on a cruise where masks are required?  One where Neanderthal anti-maskers who complain about everything and wear their mask with their nose uncovered or worse, hanging below their chin, choose to not sail, and the ship is only filled with people who don't mind wearing their mask properly, and who don't let every damn thing bother them?"  I told him, nah, I can't imagine it either.  And how rude of you to ask such a question.  Rude rude rude.

• Like 2

Question.  I think everyone is assuming that masks will not be required in one's cabin and one can enjoy their balcony without wearing a mask.  But, is that a good assumption?  After all, one can be seated on your own balcony and be just a couple of feet away from someone on their balcony.  How is that different from being seated next to someone anywhere else on the ship?    Then there is the wind from the passage of the ship spreading the virus along the side of the ship somewhat like the smell of someone smoking on their balcony.  

Why should you not have to wear a mask on your balcony to protect yourself and others?

(FWIW, I am not a supporter of masking.  Just asking.)

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As long as they don’t quarantine me on a plague ship or cancel the cruise half way I will go.   The rest is better than staying home.   I am also happy to take driving vacations and have during the pandemic.  We have also taken quite a few weekend excursions seeing parts of our region we had overlooked.   It takes more planning now. It it works for us 

• Like 1

Just now, cruisin07family said:

We're booked for Bermuda in August 2021.  Masks are a no.  Excursions are a no.  Vaccinations required is a no.  There are currently 16 states open with no mask mandates and we will visit any of those instead.  

The governor of Alabama just extended the mask mandate until 9 April and she has stated that she will not extend it beyond that date.  So you can add Alabama to your list.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question.  I think everyone is assuming that masks will not be required in one's cabin and one can enjoy their balcony without wearing a mask.  But, is that a good assumption?  After all, one can be seated on your own balcony and be just a couple of feet away from someone on their balcony.  How is that different from being seated next to someone anywhere else on the ship?    Then there is the wind from the passage of the ship spreading the virus along the side of the ship somewhat like the smell of someone smoking on their balcony.  

Why should you not have to wear a mask on your balcony to protect yourself and others?

Yeah, they should definitely require masks to be worn every minute of the day and night while on board or excursion - sleeping, showering, snorkeling, sex - everything.  And without question, following the Governor of CA's suggestion of wearing your mask between bites of food would be essential in making everyone's cruise experience a joy.  Let's all do our part!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gavin-newsom-california-face-mask-restaurant/ 

Edited by moto_italia
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The governor of Alabama just extended the mask mandate until 9 April and she has stated that she will not extend it beyond that date.  So you can add Alabama to your list.

I was traveling in Alabama last summer.  My nephew is there.  I had no problems seeing the sights, getting a hotel or eating in a restaurant.   Where I have traveled what the government says and what the people are doing are starkly different, with the single exception of New Mexico. 

Edited by Mary229

12 minutes ago, moto_italia said:

Yeah, they should definitely require masks to be worn every minute of the day and night while on board or excursion - sleeping, showering, snorkeling, sex - everything.  And without question, following the Governor of CA's suggestion of wearing your mask between bites of food would be essential in making everyone's cruise experience a joy.  Let's all do our part!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gavin-newsom-california-face-mask-restaurant/ 

If they ran all the food through a blender, you could have a meal through a straw without having to remove your mask.  You could be given a mask with a built in straw when you're seated at the table.  That would certainly make cruises even safer.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

As long as they don’t quarantine me on a plague ship or cancel the cruise half way I will go.   The rest is better than staying home.   I am also happy to take driving vacations and have during the pandemic.  We have also taken quite a few weekend excursions seeing parts of our region we had overlooked.   It takes more planning now. It it works for us 

Right,  but you don't know if they are going to quarantine you on a plague ship or  cancel the cruise halfway through until your are on the cruise and it happens. I think that is a possible ending however for every cruise when they start running. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Right,  but you don't know if they are going to quarantine you on a plague ship or  cancel the cruise halfway through until your are on the cruise and it happens. I think that is a possible ending however for every cruise when they start running. 

I agree and that is why my next cruise isn’t until spring 2022. I will withhold my final payment until we have better visibility