I’m giving up

jdixon0631

I have decided to give up on rebooking till cruises actually start sailing.  I’m sick and tired of the obc bait to rebook. We have had 7 cruises canceled. $4500 is tied up right now. We will book a cruise after carnival actually starts to sail without restrictions, if that ever happens 

• Like 12

I've got two cruises booked. I'm waiting to see the restrictions before I cancel. Being told when you can go here, when you can go there. Oh your times up, you must return to your room. And always wear your placebo mask, is not my idea of a vacation. Some people will be fine with the restrictions, I truly wish them well it's not for me.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

I have decided to give up on rebooking till cruises actually start sailing.  I’m sick and tired of the obc bait to rebook. We have had 7 cruises canceled. $4500 is tied up right now. We will book a cruise after carnival actually starts to sail without restrictions, if that ever happens 

I absolutely don't blame you.  When this started, just a year ago, I was flamed and roasted when I said cruising wouldn't resume until ??/??/????.  It's well past that date now, and I'm sick and tired of booking/cancellation/rebook etc.

I'm expecting another cancellation (Canada 10/21...what are the chances?) but even if it sails...if there are restrictions, I won't be on it.

• Like 4

If you have 4500 tied up and you're going to wait until restrictions are totally lifted before you book another cruise, you might as well kiss that 4500 goodbye.  Cruising will return in the fall, but there will be some kind of restrictions for awhile and by the time they are totally lifted, the time period to use your 4500 in credits will have expired.  If you want to be able to utilize that money, you better adjust your thought process.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bugsy7 said:

I've got two cruises booked. I'm waiting to see the restrictions before I cancel. Being told when you can go here, when you can go there. Oh your times up, you must return to your room. And always wear your placebo mask, is not my idea of a vacation. Some people will be fine with the restrictions, I truly wish them well it's not for me.

My opinion....if they want to sail with restrictions, let them.  It will help the cruiselines smooth things out. 

I don't get the logic.  If everyone needs to be vaccinated...and tested....why should there be restrictions?  Statistically...the chance of contracting and spreading is infinitesimally small. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you have 4500 tied up and you're going to wait until restrictions are totally lifted before you book another cruise, you might as well kiss that 4500 goodbye.  Cruising will return in the fall, but there will be some kind of restrictions for awhile and by the time they are totally lifted, the time period to use your 4500 in credits will have expired.  If you want to be able to utilize that money, you better adjust your thought process.  

The $4500 is gone.  Going on a cruise (and spending more $$$), when you know you'll be unhappy, will just compound the problem.  I'd rather lose the money than spend a week being masked and limited.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The $4500 is gone.  Going on a cruise (and spending more $$$), when you know you'll be unhappy, will just compound the problem.  I'd rather lose the money than spend a week being masked and limited.  

That's why you book cruises with refundable deposits, so you don't get 4500 tied up with the carrot on the stick of 600 in OBC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

When you say 4500, do you mean money that you are waiting on in a refund?  

I had 2 cruises cancelled and I rebooked them and got that OBC on both.  Then I had an Alaskan cruise that I had 750 paid and my wife simply cancelled it and it finally got back on the card.  

Then she pulled an interesting move.   She scheduled a Aug cruise.  I told her that is maybe a 50/50 chance of sailing, maybe even less.  She said "yeah I know, but if it sails that is cool , if it doesnt they will give me OBC and I will schedule for January.".  To her it is a win win.  

I am just not sure she is going to like a lockdown cruise.

Haven't given up yet but certainly understand and support those that have.  Since I am a nurse that wore a mask and socially distanced for 10hrs a day 5 days a week for the last year while working in the Emergency Department, and I followed guidelines when not at work , I refuse to give up hope and let this pandemic win.  I just retired after 45yrs in the profession and while I sit at home with no mask and vaccinated, I still follow the guidelines but I would take any day on a ship in a mask and socially distancing than what we are all still going through.  This unfortunately may be the new norm.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

When you say 4500, do you mean money that you are waiting on in a refund?  

I had 2 cruises cancelled and I rebooked them and got that OBC on both.  Then I had an Alaskan cruise that I had 750 paid and my wife simply cancelled it and it finally got back on the card.  

Then she pulled an interesting move.   She scheduled a Aug cruise.  I told her that is maybe a 50/50 chance of sailing, maybe even less.  She said "yeah I know, but if it sails that is cool , if it doesnt they will give me OBC and I will schedule for January.".  To her it is a win win.  

I am just not sure she is going to like a lockdown cruise.

We may be in the same situation with a July 1, 2021 cruise, cruising with restrictions.  We will see what happens!

7 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

I guess I'm frugal but I wouldnt kiss 4500 good bye. I would book as far out as allowed to keep what I have tied up. Idk if the usa will ever be the same even if covid in check. In asian countries you still saw masks past the time needed. I think its second nature to me now to social distance and will be a habit.

Cdc wants us locked down, but maybe pressure will help as we keep the good numbers rolling in. If cdc used science kids would all be in school and economies open. Comparing florida to calif it's obvious it's about control not the numbers. It's about teachers unions, not the kids....so I have grown weary of thinking things will get back to totally the same. 

I would book far out, and hope for the best, a new normal.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

The percentage chance of your August cruise sailing would increase if it's at the end of August, is a short cruise and goes out of Miami or PC.  But, if it's not, that 50/50 is 10/90.

12 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

Since I am a nurse that wore a mask and socially distanced for 10hrs a day 5 days a week for the last year while working in the Emergency Department.....I just retired after 45yrs in the profession 

Thank you for what you did and the hardships that you went through, especially over the past year.  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bugsy7 said:

Love the placebo mask line :):)

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The percentage chance of your August cruise sailing would increase if it's at the end of August, is a short cruise and goes out of Miami or PC.  But, if it's not, that 50/50 is 10/90.

Short cruise, 2nd half, outta PC on the Elation

44 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

Haven't given up yet but certainly understand and support those that have.  Since I am a nurse that wore a mask and socially distanced for 10hrs a day 5 days a week for the last year while working in the Emergency Department, and I followed guidelines when not at work , I refuse to give up hope and let this pandemic win.  I just retired after 45yrs in the profession and while I sit at home with no mask and vaccinated, I still follow the guidelines but I would take any day on a ship in a mask and socially distancing than what we are all still going through.  This unfortunately may be the new norm.

Asking without malice. Why " the new norm"  ?   

If we get to a point where less people die of Covid19 than of the flu would that not mean we could drop all the restrictions?  We have a host of vaccines coming out and as we speak the short supply concept is fading as we will soon have enough doses to vaccinate every American.  

Plus there are new treatments being proposed and tested, I just read about one that is coming oit of phase 3 trials show 85 percent effectiveness on seriously ill patients.  

So i don't understand that we will have to genuflect to the powers to be for the rest of our lives.  One day this will all be behind us just like every other plague that has ripped across this planet.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's why you book cruises with refundable deposits, so you don't get 4500 tied up with the carrot on the stick of 600 in OBC

Look, I don't know "his story".  I give as little $$$ as necessary until final payment.

But, this, in any situation in life...would be throwing good money after bad.  Why spend additional money if you know you won't be happy? 

Nobody predicted a cruise lockdown that will probably be 2 years.....

Bottom line...maybe CDC will wake up and realize that if EVERYONE is vaccinated and EVERYONE tests negative prior to boarding....the chances of someone having covid is absolutely tiny...and even if someone had covid....the chances of passing it on are less than tiny.  The ship would be at herd immunity.  Even if while roaming around a port, someone came into contact with an infected person...the chance of actually contracting the disease is small and the chance of passing it on is even smaller.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I guess I'm frugal but I wouldnt kiss 4500 good bye. I would book as far out as allowed to keep what I have tied up. Idk if the usa will ever be the same even if covid in check. In asian countries you still saw masks past the time needed. I think its second nature to me now to social distance and will be a habit.

Cdc wants us locked down, but maybe pressure will help as we keep the good numbers rolling in. If cdc used science kids would all be in school and economies open. Comparing florida to calif it's obvious it's about control not the numbers. It's about teachers unions, not the kids....so I have grown weary of thinking things will get back to totally the same. 

I would book far out, and hope for the best, a new normal.

In Asian countries Asians always wore masks....

As soon as I was double vaccinated I kissed the mask good-bye (except where required...indoors).

It doesn't mean I'm "kissing strangers"....I abide by the rules, but those rules are to protect others.  I'm protected. 

I spend almost a year in "covid purgatory";  I won't spend a penny if I have to go back there, even if it means no cruising.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

In Asian countries Asians always wore masks....

As soon as I was double vaccinated I kissed the mask good-bye (except where required...indoors).

It doesn't mean I'm "kissing strangers"....I abide by the rules, but those rules are to protect others.  I'm protected. 

I spend almost a year in "covid purgatory";  I won't spend a penny if I have to go back there, even if it means no cruising.

I was speaking pre covid when I said asians still wore masks ..there were other viruses before covid. 

I'm vaccinated too, but I dont expect everywhere to change overnight, especially the cdc.

That's why I said I'd push out my booking as far as I could rather than lose $4500. $4500 would be a lot for me to lose so I'd go once, maybe not book more but I wouldnt lose that much. 

Again, I expect a new normal. Life has to go on. I'm not staying home forever. I hate wearing a mask, but need to not stay home because I dont like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

Asking without malice. Why " the new norm"  ?   

If we get to a point where less people die of Covid19 than of the flu would that not mean we could drop all the restrictions?  We have a host of vaccines coming out and as we speak the short supply concept is fading as we will soon have enough doses to vaccinate every American.  

Plus there are new treatments being proposed and tested, I just read about one that is coming oit of phase 3 trials show 85 percent effectiveness on seriously ill patients.  

So i don't understand that we will have to genuflect to the powers to be for the rest of our lives.  One day this will all be behind us just like every other plague that has ripped across this planet.

No malice taken but I just don't think we have seen the last of this as quickly as we would all like too.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Thank you for what you did and the hardships that you went through, especially over the past year.  

Thank-you but I did no more than any other healthcare provider or essential personnel, It takes all of us working together to get through this.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

Wise decision!

At the very least, I'd wait & (use) 2022 to locate a sailing for 2023...

😉

4 hours ago, mredandchis said:

Short cruise, 2nd half, outta PC on the Elation

That does increase the chance a bit, but of course if it doesn't sail, the OBC is only 300.  A best case scenario I believe is test cruises in June , followed by the 60 day mandated waiting period by the CDC.  This would put short paying cruises around Labor Day and full week cruises around the first of October.

The only way this could get bumped up is if the PVSA gets a temporary waive out on it by the two Alaskan senators wanting to salvage the Alaskan cruises for 2021. Political pressure is the only thing that is going to make the CDC budge.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Nobody predicted a cruise lockdown that will probably be 2 years.....

So, in your opinion cruising will not resume until March 13, 2022?   Or do you just consider it a "cruise lockdown" until there are zero restrictions and cruising can be like it was in 2019?