UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

1 minute ago, Peanut006 said:

That sounds nice, never been to Westward Ho. We are going to Isle of Wight too with daughter & grandchildren, got a hot tub too so everyone is happy. Just booked my ferry crossings this week 

Michelle 

Lovely to go with extended family, I hope you have a great time. I haven’t been to the Isle of Wight for 40 years so wasn’t really sure what area to look for but the first site I looked at had a hot tub so I didn’t look any further. We’re staying at The Lakes, Rookley, it’s fairly central I think.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Lovely to go with extended family, I hope you have a great time. I haven’t been to the Isle of Wight for 40 years so wasn’t really sure what area to look for but the first site I looked at had a hot tub so I didn’t look any further. We’re staying at The Lakes, Rookley, it’s fairly central I think.

I used to work with someone who went to a caravan park at Rookley every year and she loved it. We are staying at the Island Riding Centre, they have some self catering places to rent and we have got a fab detached bungalow 

Michelle

• Like 1

At least P&O have made the announcement, our next P&O cruise is not until October 2022 to Eastern Med which was transferred last November from a June 2021 cruise to Iceland.

Still no further cancellation announcement from Cunard. Our QM2 TA + USA and Canada cruise in September is very unlikely to go ahead, so today transferred to a QM2 Sydney to Dubai cruise which departs March 2022. Surprisingly it is slightly less in cost but at 29 nights is a night longer but we have to add flight costs yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Almost smack in the middle, it has a country park nearby. 

The nice thing about the IOW is you are never far from anywhere. 

We like Bembridge and Shanklin, but it's all nice. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Morning, not been around for a while. But back on furlough as bookings in Business Travel have got worse. Leisure bookings may be rising with the prospect of the relaxation of lockdown rules, but business travel is still in the doldrums. So got myself another job to supplement the loss of salary I've had to prop up from savings for the last 11 months.

As for staycations, we've just had confirmation that a lodge we have booked in April in Bowness will be available as the park will reopen on 12th April. A transatlantic crossing we had booked for Oct 2021, has been cancelled and the package holiday company let us transfer a 7 day Spanish holiday from April to October for no extra fee (in fact it was cheaper!).

As for a round Britain sailing, depending on price, we'd consider one as we're both waiting for our 2nd vaccination which will be done by May.

2021 hasn't started too well for us as, in addition to being placed on furlough again we had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Charlie after 14 years. He took ill after Christmas and was suspected to be suffering from intestinal lymphoma and lost weight dramatically as he stopped eating. He could not tolerate investigative surgery as he had heart and kidney issues.

38EE487B-09A6-4CC2-A862-7A72CE4477EE.jpeg

Welcome back Pete. 

So sorry to hear about Charlie, he was a handsome boy. 

Take care and keep safe. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

At least P&O have made the announcement, our next P&O cruise is not until October 2022 to Eastern Med which was transferred last November from a June 2021 cruise to Iceland.

Still no further cancellation announcement from Cunard. Our QM2 TA + USA and Canada cruise in September is very unlikely to go ahead, so today transferred to a QM2 Sydney to Dubai cruise which departs March 2022. Surprisingly it is slightly less in cost but at 29 nights is a night longer but we have to add flight costs yet.

Hi I’m still waiting for Cunard to cancel we have a round trip transatlantic in June then on  the on 4july B2B on QE 24 nights would really like to know what’s happening  so we can make plans only other cruises booked for 2021 are B2B on QV in Dec hopefully things will have settled down by then 🙏

• Like 1

B2C16278-5B07-491F-8403-D915CAFDDBB0.thumb.jpeg.005cd21c8119321ff8e1266a53dc50d7.jpeg
Pete, so sorry to hear about Charlie, he was such a handsome boy.  As a cat person, I know how hard it is for you to have lost such a beautiful friend. They worm their way into your heart which it makes it so hard when they pass. My daughter is a veterinary nurse, when we lost our beautiful Tilly 2 years ago she persuaded us to have a rescue cat who had been brought into the Vets to be put down as her owner had died and the family didn’t want her. Here she is now (name changed from Edith to Cassie).

• Like 12

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Almost smack in the middle, it has a country park nearby. 

The nice thing about the IOW is you are never far from anywhere. 

We like Bembridge and Shanklin, but it's all nice. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy. 
We have English Heritage membership and would like to visit Osbourne House and maybe Carisbrooke Castle while we’re there. I have wonderful childhood memories of Blackgang chine and would love to go back but we probably need to have a child with us to visit there 😊

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Andy. 
We have English Heritage membership and would like to visit Osbourne House and maybe Carisbrooke Castle while we’re there. I have wonderful childhood memories of Blackgang chine and would love to go back but we probably need to have a child with us to visit there 😊

Hubby and I have visited Blackgang Chine since our children left home!! My parents in law lived on the Isle of Wight for 15 years and we used to love visiting them with our children.We still like visiting I O W as big kids!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ann141 said:

Hubby and I have visited Blackgang Chine since our children left home!! My parents in law lived on the Isle of Wight for 15 years and we used to love visiting them with our children.We still like visiting I O W as big kids!

Oh really, well we might give it a go then 😊 

9 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Andy. 

Nah, you are never too old to fill a test tube with different colour sand or watch the glass blowers... 😊

A nice stroll through Shanklin Chine is more our thing nowadays, there are nice pubs at either end... 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Andy. 

We want to go there too, I remember going to Blackgang Chine when I was a child. My mum said we used to stay somewhere called The Bungalow at Shanklin. 
Michelle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

We want to go there too, I remember going to Blackgang Chine when I was a child. My mum said we used to stay somewhere called The Bungalow at Shanklin. 
Michelle

Osborne House is quite an experience. It really tells the story of family life for Vic & Bert. 

The Swiss Cottage where the kids used to play is worth a visit, with a nice outdoor coffee shop if the weather is nice. 

Gardens are beautiful too. 

Andy 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Andy. 

If you intend to visit Blackgang,take loads of cash 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:44 AM, peteukmcr said:

Morning, not been around for a while. But back on furlough as bookings in Business Travel have got worse. Leisure bookings may be rising with the prospect of the relaxation of lockdown rules, but business travel is still in the doldrums. So got myself another job to supplement the loss of salary I've had to prop up from savings for the last 11 months.

As for staycations, we've just had confirmation that a lodge we have booked in April in Bowness will be available as the park will reopen on 12th April. A transatlantic crossing we had booked for Oct 2021, has been cancelled and the package holiday company let us transfer a 7 day Spanish holiday from April to October for no extra fee (in fact it was cheaper!).

As for a round Britain sailing, depending on price, we'd consider one as we're both waiting for our 2nd vaccination which will be done by May.

2021 hasn't started too well for us as, in addition to being placed on furlough again we had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Charlie after 14 years. He took ill after Christmas and was suspected to be suffering from intestinal lymphoma and lost weight dramatically as he stopped eating. He could not tolerate investigative surgery as he had heart and kidney issues.

38EE487B-09A6-4CC2-A862-7A72CE4477EE.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your tough time Pete, especially the loss of Charlie.

Best wishes to you both.

Damian

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Osborne House is quite an experience. It really tells the story of family life for Vic & Bert. 

The Swiss Cottage where the kids used to play is worth a visit, with a nice outdoor coffee shop if the weather is nice. 

Gardens are beautiful too. 

Andy 

Thanks for that Andy, we will definitely be having a day there 

Michelle 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi I’m still waiting for Cunard to cancel we have a round trip transatlantic in June then on  the on 4july B2B on QE 24 nights would really like to know what’s happening  so we can make plans only other cruises booked for 2021 are B2B on QV in Dec hopefully things will have settled down by then 🙏

Hi Lindy. Not sure what's going on with Cunard at the moment. I had originally booked a 7 day UK- ports- only in June on QE.  For various reasons I changed it early last week for a 7 day Fjords, with family, on QV in July. I just checked the Cunard website to see if there were any announcements (there weren't) and saw that my original June cruise was still on sale but the price had risen to an unbelievable level. I booked an outside single for around £1400. Today, the cost of an inside standard single occupancy is £1973!  What's happening! I still think we'll be cancelled next week though. Jane.x

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi Lindy. Not sure what's going on with Cunard at the moment. I had originally booked a 7 day UK- ports- only in June on QE.  For various reasons I changed it early last week for a 7 day Fjords, with family, on QV in July. I just checked the Cunard website to see if there were any announcements (there weren't) and saw that my original June cruise was still on sale but the price had risen to an unbelievable level. I booked an outside single for around £1400. Today, the cost of an inside standard single occupancy is £1973!  What's happening! I still think we'll be cancelled next week though. Jane.x

Hi Jane hopefully will find out soon what’s happening with Cunard  I don’t want to have any more FCC or change any cruises just want them cancelled, but like yours mine in July are still for sale and the prices have gone through the roof really hoping that cruises will be able to go ahead later on in the year missing them so much 👍lindy x

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi Jane hopefully will find out soon what’s happening with Cunard  I don’t want to have any more FCC or change any cruises just want them cancelled, but like yours mine in July are still for sale and the prices have gone through the roof really hoping that cruises will be able to go ahead later on in the year missing them so much 👍lindy x

Me too Lindy. However, until our cruises are cancelled we're still on them! I also don't want any more FCC - just my money back and a clean slate. Let's see what next week brings. Jane.x

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Andy. 

l’ve been to both of those, Osbourne House is definitely worth a visit. Good views over the Solent from the castle 😊

• Like 1

Whilst is understandable and quite rightly sensible to not have any port calls during these Round UK cruises, the potential is there for some stunning coastal cruising, especially if they base a ship in Newcastle.

For one you have Orkney - Scapa Flow, Old Man of Hoy, Fair Isle, Shetland coastline, Western Isles. 

Plenty of lovely destinations in their own right.

Edited by trickyoat
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, trickyoat said:

Whilst is understandable and quite rightly sensible to not have any port calls during these Round UK cruises, the potential is there for some stunning coastal cruising, especially if they base a ship in Newcastle.

For one you have Orkney - Scapa Flow, Old Man of Hoy, Fair Isle, Shetland coastline, Western Isles. 

Unfortunately P&O have already said they will all be from Southampton.

32 minutes ago, trickyoat said:

I haven’t cruised to any of those places, but are ships the size of those in P&O’s fleet able to cruise close enough to the shore of these places to afford good views, rather than just distant views? 

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I haven’t cruised to any of those places, but are ships the size of those in P&O’s fleet able to cruise close enough to the shore of these places to afford good views, rather than just distant views? 

Not on any we have done, even when at anchor. The only place I have been where there are cruise byes worth seeing on a 7 night cruise are the Norwegian fjords. 

• Like 2