UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

29 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We were booked on Iona last July for her naming ceremony, and then rebooked for this August instead.

My mother who was coming with us, wants to re-book again as, as she says it might be the last chance she gets to go on holiday as she is getting too old to travel. 

That’s so sad. My parents also think that way and I think this pandemic has made them think that even more. They’re desperate to go back on a cruise even with restrictions and spend time with the family. I hope you manage to find and book something. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

If they are clever, and price them at low enough prices, I think they can target several very different groups. As is evidenced by this forum, there are a lot of traditional cruisers who are so keen to get back on a cruise ship ASAP that the lack of a proper itinerary, risk of poor weather etc won’t be any deterrent whatsoever. Then, as you say, there will be those who are in the new target market who will see these as ‘taster’ cruises to see if cruising is for them. Another group could be people who live within a couple of hours of Southampton who might have never considered cruising but see these short cruises as ‘something different’ and a new experience after a year of not being able to do much. Yet another group could be experienced cruisers who see this as a low cost way to experience a new cruise ship that they haven’t been on before, or even a new cruise line altogether.

This last group could include us. We aren’t desperate to go on a cruise any time soon, especially whilst there are on board restrictions, but we would like to see Iona (we were due to be on the maiden voyage)  and have contemplated trying other cruise lines but have yet to take the plunge. We couldn’t face a week without getting off the ship, but as we are less than 2 hours from Southampton we could consider up to 3 nights if it was a new ship for us, but it would have to be at a cheap price - certainly much less than £100 pppn - for us to even consider it, given that we have paid less than that for a balcony cabin on a proper cruise to interesting places with no on board restrictions. 

We have done transatlantic 3 times on QM2. Its not as bad as you would think. We absolutely love it not getting off the ship is so relaxing. There is plenty to do onboard if you so wish or you can do absolutely nothing and just chillax. On our 1st TA it took us about 4 days to find our way around the ship, we kept getting lost but it all adds up to the fun😆

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, delgirl said:

We have done transatlantic 3 times on QM2. Its not as bad as you would think. We absolutely love it not getting off the ship is so relaxing. There is plenty to do onboard if you so wish or you can do absolutely nothing and just chillax. On our 1st TA it took us about 4 days to find our way around the ship, we kept getting lost but it all adds up to the fun😆

Different strokes for different folks I’m afraid. We have also done a transatlantic and we wouldn’t do it again. We absolutely loved the USA and Canada but the 6 sea days each way was a real bind for us and not an experience that we would want to repeat. We can tolerate a couple of sea days at the beginning of a cruise and as a break in the middle of a port intensive itinerary, but more than 2 in a row we just find incredibly boring and we are desperate to get off. We also find that the ships can feel crowded on sea days when the weather is poor and people aren’t outside. I realise that we are in a minority, but 7 days at sea with no option to get off would be an endurance for us, not a pleasure, and we would much rather spend the money on a land based holiday. The only possible exception would be a scenic fjords cruise, as long as it did all 3 of Flaam, Olden and Geiranger and on Iona where we could also explore a new ship and work our way around all the Select Dining venues. 

• Like 3

Cruising round the British Isles would very much appeal, but only with port calls. Isles of Scilly top of the list, but Falmouth and Dublin would also be good. In fact there’s no port I can think of that wouldn’t provide a day’s enjoyment.

No port calls, though - not in a million years. 

• Like 5

I find that my enjoyment of sea days depends a lot on the weather.

In 2017, we did 2 legs of a world cruise. We sailed across the Pacific from Auckland to San Francisco. There were a few island stops on the way, but the sunny days of perfect weather were a highlight of the cruise. Pure relaxation either out on the open decks or on our balcony. 

Whereas the following year, we did a transatlantic cruise to the USA and Canada. Coming back, we had six sea days. The first 3 days were foggy and the other three days were cloudy. It was gloomy and a bit depressing Fortunately, we went to the cinema each morning, but if it hadn’t been for that, I might have ended up being a bit bored, as most of the other day time activities aren’t really my type of thing.

These U.K. cruises that are being planned might be ok if the weather is good, but if not, I’m not sure it’d be so much fun, particularly as other aspects of onboard life may be restricted 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cruising round the British Isles would very much appeal, but only with port calls. Isles of Scilly top of the list, but Falmouth and Dublin would also be good. In fact there’s no port I can think of that wouldn’t provide a day’s enjoyment.

I’ve done 4 British Isles cruises (with ports) and they were brilliant. 

If life were different, we were planning to do a CMV Round Britain cruise at least every other year. There’s so much to see in this country 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interestingly, Saga has just announced its plans for their new ship's inaugural cruise in July, which will be around Britain and making port calls. Of course, they had previously announced that all pax and crew have to be vaccinated.  I do however appreciate that plans make change further again.

The other issue that interests me is the timescale for the release of these cruises, not just by P&O but also Cunard and Princess. The first two of course are very closely linked, being under the Carnival UK umbrella but Princess is also a 'cousin' being part of the same worldwide company.

I hadn't really been thinking about a cruise this year at all but having checked out solo prices with Warner hotels for June and July, I am now slightly interested in a cruise.

Following on from Selbourne's post, I am thinking that - price permitting - it would be good to try out a different ship. For me that means Britannia, QM2, QV or one of the Princess ships. The dilemma therefore will come if there is any significant time gap between the launches. If the first launch has very keen prices, do I book one immediately or wait until the others are launched? As always, complicated by the fact that I will sail solo which undoubtedly affects the prices...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

That’s so sad. My parents also think that way and I think this pandemic has made them think that even more. They’re desperate to go back on a cruise even with restrictions and spend time with the family. I hope you manage to find and book something. 

Now in our mid 70's, Frank and I are begining to think like that too, so I understand. It's not being pessimistic, just realistic. Although fairly healthy at the moment, who knows what can happen further down the road. We used to plan holidays 2-3 years in advance and not think twice about it. Now I envy those that say 'Maybe I'll wait 3 or 4 years before I  think of another cruise'. Oh to have that luxury again.

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I assume you mean £1000 more, which would be cheap for club?

Long term the prices now being quoted for cruises next year are, imho, unsupportable, as those of us that are not totally committed to cruising will find other holidays at more attractive prices.

Sorry, I meant to out the 1000 was for the Canaries, but got frustrated that predictive was telling me what to say before I knew myself. 2 weeks to the med next year with Celebrity was over 2500 each in a balcony, but strangely for Alaska next year is cheaper than this year. We have 3 holidays booked for this year so will sit back and wait.

Ps.predixtice thinks I want to say 2500 rack.🤣

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Went to Scilly Isles some years back wonderful location, flew by helicopter from Penzance. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Went to Scilly Isles some years back wonderful location, flew by helicopter from Penzance. 

We have been twice, both via a cruise, the first time we went in May and Tresco gardens were fantastic. A few years later we did a short cruise in September basically to see the gardens again and how they compared. We thought May was the better show by far.

Some relevant information taken from the P&O web site.

All new cruises on this release will board and disembark at Southampton.

Passports will be required

No back to back cruises will be available

No coach transfer service will be available.

You can use your current FCC against these cruises.

Loyalty points will be awarded as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Now in our mid 70's, Frank and I are begining to think like that too, so I understand. It's not being pessimistic, just realistic. Although fairly healthy at the moment, who knows what can happen further down the road. We used to plan holidays 2-3 years in advance and not think twice about it. Now I envy those that say 'Maybe I'll wait 3 or 4 years before I  think of another cruise'. Oh to have that luxury again.

Avril

When this calms down and everything goes back to near normal hopefully you and Frank can get some last minute bargain cruises in. Unfortunately we have to book as soon as the brochure comes out because of the school holidays. The children are growing so quickly though so before we know it that period will have finished and we will then be able to book a sensible time ahead. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Some relevant information taken from the P&O web site.

All new cruises on this release will board and disembark at Southampton.

Passports will be required

No back to back cruises will be available

No coach transfer service will be available.

You can use your current FCC against these cruises.

Loyalty points will be awarded as well.

So with no back to backs, it probably means that if anyone gets infected, it would not show until they have disembarked.  Not really a trial for longer cruises, but good PR for P&O.  I wonder if the no back to back has been laid down as something they will need to follow (like the CDC rules), or something P&O have decided.  They have been talking to gov etc. for a long time, so will have had guidance about what they will and will not be able to do, over and above any public announcements.

Has there been any hints anywhere about when the cruises may be released, how long each cruise will be, or which months they will cover?  I am thinking they would need about 3 months to get up and running, but could have already started looking at recruiting staff from their home countries, perhaps without a firm start date, (normally done via agencies I think). 

Edited by tring

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts for what / how many ships will be sailing?

I would assume Iona will not be one of the first, but there again neither will Aurora or Arcadia (most likely). Personally thinking it will be Ventura, Azura & Britannia to begin with. Ventura would be strong contender for me with the covered pool area meaning having a higher chance of being able to use the pools etc if you end up with rain for the whole of your cruise!

Would love to know what everybody thinks will happen & also the ships they would like to start up first.

2 minutes ago, tring said:

Has there been any hints anywhere about when the cruises may be released, how long each cruise will be, or which months they will cover?  I am thinking they would need about 3 months to get up and running, but could have already started looking at recruiting staff from their home countries, perhaps without a firm start date, (normally done via agencies I think). 

Isn't it later this month for the itineraries? Princess have gone for 'late summer' - wouldn't be surprised if P&O are thinking the same timeframe, possibly slightly earlier.

13 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Isn't it later this month for the itineraries? Princess have gone for 'late summer' - wouldn't be surprised if P&O are thinking the same timeframe, possibly slightly earlier.

I was thinking of the short cruises to nowhere over the summer.  Not sure if you are thinking about those or the winter 2022/23 cruises, or have they said both will be released at the same time?

Have Princess also said they will release short trial cruises over the summer, to replace the original itineraries?

Edited by tring

Just now, tring said:

I was thinking of the short cruises to nowhere over the summer.  Not sure if you are thinking about those or the winter 2022/23 cruises, or have they said both will be released at the same time?

Think they might be both due out around the same time, think they might do 22/23 first but not too sure

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tring said:

So with no back to backs, it probably means that if anyone gets infected, it would not show until they have disembarked.  Not really a trial for longer cruises, but good PR for P&O.  I wonder if the no back to back has been laid down as something they will need to follow (like the CDC rules), or something P&O have decided.  They have been talking to gov etc. for a long time, so will have had guidance about what they will and will not be able to do, over and above any public announcements.

A bit disappointed about the no B2B allowed, but not a deal breaker for us.  Like you say, it may well be something that is outside of PandO's control.

I do wonder though, whether you could simply disembark as usual, and then go and sit in the departure area and do the full embarkation procedure for the following cruise?🤔

4 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Think they might be both due out around the same time, think they might do 22/23 first but not too sure

I spoke to a well used agent for P&O last week and was told they have already been told that "The New Ship" is to go on sale in April.  She did not give an indication of when in April, but seemed to think it would be fairly early, with the other ships going on sale after that for 2022/3.  Just thinking they may spread the release out a bit to give their IT system a chance.

Edited by tring

16 minutes ago, tring said:

Answers to these questions from the web site, say, full details,dates and itineraries will be available later in March.

One additional piece of information,reported to the city say's that these cruises will sail around UK waters.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, Selbourne said:

I am inclined to agree with this. I have lost count of how many times we have been late departing ports due to waiting for passengers who are late returning to the ship. I would say that as many, if not most, of the late returners have been independents rather than on official P&O tours. It seems to be that the stated departure time is often around 30 mins before they actually plan to depart, so if everyone is back on time they get away earlier than they had hoped so that they can cruise at slower speed (saves fuel). If passengers are running late and have contacted the ship with an ETA, the Captain has always waited for them (within reason). One of the things that I enjoy (sad, I know 😂) is watching the tail end Charlie’s rushing to get on board at or after the scheduled departure time. It also amazes me how some people just saunter along without a care in the world, even though they are late and hundreds of pairs of eyes are on them! I can recall a couple of times when we left passengers behind, but they were well over an hour late and hadn’t contacted the ship. 

We were on a CMV mini cruise from Newport in Wales to Ireland and then back to Tilbury several years ago,  a bunch of people had been at a football thing in Wales, checked in for the cruise really early and then went off again to the local bars I guess,  didnt turn up until well over an hour past sailing time and with us having to transit out of Newport that meant all kinds of staff had to stay late - the Captain gave them a major telling off and the gossip was that CMV were going to make them pay their extra costs.   Not the first time this has happened, years ago, remember an article on CBC news about a Canadian couple who held up a cruise ship in Panama and had to find their own way home and the cruise company sued them for thousands of additional charges they had to pay to the Panama Canal company - should be standard practice on all cruise ships

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Thanks for the replies to my question re a pilot, as I said it was just a thought.

Another (in my opinion) more relevant point. P&O and other cruise lines need to launch the new summer cruise very so as I for one and I’m sure there are others are looking at their plan B and seeing things getting booked and prices rising so we may not wait for an unknown and book the plan B. I have done that for my New Year holiday and about to do the same for the summer holiday.

I dont think there are plans to release Summer 2023 cruises any earlier than the the normal Septemberish time. They have already announced that they will soon be releasing 2022/23 winter programme but that will only take them up to March 2023.